“Great For An Overnight Trip to Volcano National Park”
Review of Hilo Seaside Hotel

Hilo Seaside Hotel
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Hilo
Reviewed June 16, 2008

We stayed at the Hilo Seaside Hotel after a long day of driving and sightseeing. We were staying with family in North Kohala, and my husband and I decided to take a day trip down to Volcano National Park. Our original plan was to make it back "home" in one day, but after walking on lava for several hours and watching the lava flow at night, we were too tired for the long drive back.

We called a couple of other hotels, but they closed at 8 and 9 pm. There was no way we would make it. When we called the Hilo Seaside, they told us that they were open 24 hours, and someone would be available if we arrived at 10 pm. Also, the standard room quote we were given over the phone was the same as the other hotels, a little over $80. The hotel was also in a better neighborhood than the others we called.

We arrived just before 10 pm. The hotel was easy to find in the dark. As we checked in we were chatting with the hotel clerk about our sightseeing, and she said, "Oh, you live by the sheriff guy." She meant Sheriff Joe Arpio, who is the sheriff of Maricopa county in Arizona. We got to talking about him, and before we knew it our room was upgraded!

We stayed in Room 231, which isn't far from the lobby. The room had a private balcony which overlooked a Koi pond on the property and the Ice pond across the street. The room was very clean. It had a nice little air conditioner and a fan, which kept us cool the entire night. I didn't hear any plane noise, but we were both so tired we fell right asleep and didn't wake up until morning.

The hotel does have a pool, but it was closed during our stay. No problem for us as we weren't planning on using it. The hotel also has a restaurant next door and a restaurant across the street. We chose to eat at Ken's House of Pancakes, which is kitty-corner to the block where the hotel is located.

Overall, we were more than pleased with our stay at the Hilo Seaside, and we will definitely stay there again on our next visit to Hilo.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 23, 2008

stayed here because it was the cheapest room i could find for hilo- $83 on hotwire. front desk upgraded me to a garden room, which was nice and quiet other than the roar of planes at the airport across the street from the hotel. room was large, everything worked fine. considering that everything in hilo is overpriced, this was a perfectly adequate place to stay.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed May 2, 2008

Since the price was really low, I prepared for a dumpy place... when I pulled up outside, I was alittle worried as it looked pretty old.

but you know what? when I got into the (3rd floor) room... after dragging my luggage up the stairs (no elevator), I was pleasantly surprised. The room was neat and clean, the TV worked well and all in all it wasn't bad. I've seen some pretty bad hotels in Hawaii -- especially in the city areas on the neighbor islands (i.e. Maui Beach Hotel in Kahului).

But all in all the staff was nice, the price was right ($69 for Kama'aina rate) and all in all I was comfortable. No airconditioning but the fan did a decent job.

I wouldn't recommend it for a vacation but if if your in Hilo on business and can't find anywhere else, it's not bad.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed April 16, 2008

Location is good, room was booked as superior garden view, but I ended up in the Ocean wing, which was a better room--had a balcony overlooking the "ocean" i.e. Hilo Harbor, and was a good-sized room. Parking was a problem, as has been noted. The hotel is on many levels: my room was on the second floor, but from the lobby I had to go up 3 steps, down a short hallway, up 3 more steps, then down 1 step, and up 5 steps. With a heavy suitcase, it wasn't much fun, but I only had to do it upon arrival and departure. Noise and no room-darkening curtains made sleep difficult. My first night there, we had a very loud thunderstorm and the lightning seemed like it was right in my room! Lined drapes that most hotels use would be very helpful in cutting down the light and noise, but with a window air conditioner, it might not be practical. The a/c was pretty noisy and kept cutting in and out. I finally set it to fan, so I had the same noise all night long! Some staff were fine, some were ignorant of their own island's attractions, one or two had no "aloha spirit" that I could sense. Refrigerator was tipsy and needed a new "leg." There was no room in the bathroom for toiletries and the toilet paper ran out with no spare roll anywhere in sight. Having the pool close down at 6:00 was inconvenient as that's when most people return from their excursions and would love to relax in the pool. The good things were the lovely landscaping and unexpected gardens and courtyards, a very comfortable bed, good water pressure in the shower, friendly housekeeping personnel, great view of the harbor, convenient location, and the jolt of seeing an airplane overhead seemingly close enough to touch as it lands at Hilo Airport! Restaurant was fine, not too pricey, but it had limited lunch & dinner menus. I'm not sure I'd stay there again, it would depend on how much I wanted to spend on a room at the time.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed April 15, 2008

Hilo Seaside is a 1960's 2- story walk-up hotel with a nice local Hawaiian ambience. Compared to the two high-rise hotels along Hilo Bay, where I've stayed before on business trips, this was nicer in some ways but a notch lower in others. There's no elevator, so this is not a hotel for wheelchair customers. Be prepared to navigate at least 5 stairs, even on the 1st floor. Security: room keys are the old fashioned metal type; abundant jalousie windows, although providing fresh air and ventilation, are easily breached; rooms are quite visible from the open walkways and adjacent rooms. We didn't use the small air conditioner, but it's a nice feature if the weather turns hot and humid. The pool is spacious and clean with pool hours limited (9am-6pm). You can always join the local kids across the street and jump into the "ice pond", so called because of the cold fresh mountain water that feeds the natural pool.
The rooms are just spacious enough to accommodate 2 double beds with a small sink, mini-refrigerator, and coffee maker across from the bathroom. There's cable TV with remote but no DVD or VHS player. Phones are not free, but we all use cell phones anyway. At the front of the hotel, there's a decent and reasonable restaurant. Parking could be a problem since the small lot couldn't handle more than 20-24 cars, but we were lucky. Considering we booked last minute during the busy Merrie Monarch Festival, we felt pretty lucky to get any rooms at all. The hotel was showing completely full when I called the hotel. Thru Hotwire, we were able to book 2 rooms for just under $149. We were traveling with 2 kids (4 &8) and wanted a place close enough to the Volcanoes National Park (45 minutes) so we could drive there in the morning, tour and hike a bit, come back to nap and freshen up, then head back to hike to the lava flow viewing site. It was comfortable and adequate, and fine for folks on a budget who aren't planning to hang around a hotel but need a convenient place to sleep and take a hot bath or shower. It was also very close to the airport (.35 miles from the runway threshhold) so noise is a factor. Hilo isn't a busy airport but there are cargo flights in the early morning.
If you're looking for 4-5 star hotels, stay in Waikoloa or other west coast area of Hawaii!

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed April 1, 2008

My two friends and I stayed at the Hilo Seaside for two nights and had the best stay in the Hawaiian Islands. We had a garden view room with two double beds and found the room and bathroom to be clean, quiet, and tasteful.
The staff were very friendly and courteous, and never hesitated to recommend various sights and places around the Big Island for us.
It is a budget hotel, and we knew this when we booked, but the surroundings, pool and staff made it feel like a home away from home for the three of us (1 American, 1 Australian and 1 New Zealander). The pool was a blessing after sightseeing around the island and was very clean.
The restaurant was clean, the food great and not too expensive compared to other places we ate at in Hilo, and the staff welcoming to all. Even the security guard on duty was friendly and considerate towards us.
The hotel is also close to plenty of other places to eat (try Ken's House of Pancakes) and the staff will gladly give advise on where to eat around the town depending on what you are looking for.
If you are looking for a place that is cheap, quiet, user-friendly and more like home than other pompous, impersonal expensive noisy hotels on Hawaii or Oahu...GO HERE!

Stayed: March 2008
Reviewed March 30, 2008

Price was right for me since I stayed with my young children for a week. Ground floor room, awesome, right next to the pool, great, but I had to carry my sons stroller up and down stairs just to get to my ground floor room. With luggage, a stroller with an infant and a young child it was very frustrating. Then to find parking. Its either cut your days short, like by 5pm or look forward to driving in circles and hiking to the hotel. I even had to walk to the store just so that I wouldn't lose my close parking.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hilo
Castle Hilo Hawaiian Hotel
Chalet Kilauea
Chalet Kilauea
#1 of 2 in Volcano
Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel

Been to Hilo Seaside Hotel? Share your experiences!