“nice stay”
Review of Hilo Seaside Hotel

Hilo Seaside Hotel
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Hilo
Reviewed September 24, 2012

For a budget hotel, it was a pleasant stay. Very clean and super friendly staff. This hotel has a lot of charm that s hard to find these days and for that reason alone made it a nice stay.

pros:
-clean
-inexpensive
-awesome breakfast. Try the taro banana pancakes.

cons:
-a little noisy because it is close to te airport. if you are a light sleeper, might want to stay esewhere.

-a little

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank catVancouver_Canada
Write a ReviewReviews (1,092)

Reviewed September 24, 2012

Having read the mixed comments about this hotel, we were kind apprehensive. However, all our fear was dispel when we arrived at the hotel.

The check-out was easy and the staff was very helpful. We told them that we were here for our anniversary. Despite that we booked from Hotwire, they upgraded our room to deluxe room with a king bed (minus the breakfast).

The room fits us both well. It's not as spacious. The most important for us that it is clean.
The bed and pillow is alright as well.
DH said that the standing shower is rather small but I'm alright with it.
We stored all our food in the compact refrigerator provided in the room.
The A/C was rather loud when it cranked up but it soon turned to a comforting lull. We only heard the coqui frogs when we were in the bathroom. :-) It didn't bother us at all.

The location of this hotel is very strategic. You will be entertained by the beautiful Banyan trees when walking towards Liliuokalani Garden and Coconut Island. They are reachable within 10 minutes of walking. And it's very near to eateries: Ken's House of Pancakes, Sombat's Thai Cuisine, and Verna's Drive In.

They have a laundromat on site as well. The koi pond is well-kept and very soothing to watch. We had a comfortable stay without breaking our budget.

Yes, we would stay at this hotel again when we visit Hilo.

Room Tip: If you're staying at the hotel on a special occasion, do remember tell the staff. You might be e...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 12Coffee
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I don't know about others but for me, the important things in any hotel is parking, breakfast in morning and internet in room. I guess the hotel was booked from priceline therefore they said that you bought it in supersaver package so no breakfast for you! Next parking was mainly on the street rather than inside hotel where there were only very few spots. I had a rental car and continuously worried if someone steals it or hit it while I am not watching. Internet was only available in lobby(ask for internet code each time while you need it)with good number of mosquitos to play with you while you are trying to work. For wi-fi in room, you need to pay extra!
Next comes the security-oh my God! these people are super crazy about honesty of their hotel guests. There is no ironing board in room. I rarely need to iron my clothes but due to tight packing I needed to iron clothes. No ironing board in any room. After calling front desk-they told you have to do it in laundary room which is open only 8 am to 8 pm. I tried to explain that I am on vacation and sometimes leaving for my activities early by 7.30am or so but nope! At night when I came back it's closed again because It was later than 8 pm.

Room Tip: Think before booking-Very old make, No internet in room, no morning breakfast, street parking
3  Thank Amit A
Reviewed September 22, 2012

Just made an overnite to visit friends in Pahoa. Read all the comments both positive and negative about the Seaside. I liked the location and price. Glad I chose this location. Was a tossup between the Castle and Seaside. I did check out Castle, it seemed OK, but caters to groups, tours etc. More crowded and not to my taste. Their lounge combines a coffee cafe and bar, which to me takes the atmosphere out of both of them. We so much for Castle; this review is about the Seaside.

Check in was easy and friendly. I have to wonder if some of the folks come in with an attitude as I saw nothing but positive from all the employees during my visit. I chose a upstairs interior "no view" room. It gets dark a little after six and during the day I am outside, so a view is not important. You have to walk up and around a bit, I am sure due to the additions to the buildings over the years. The room was clean and comfortable & the carpet seemed fairly new. Window A/C + overhead fan kept the temp regulated perfect for sleeping. Heard none of the noise other folks have mentioned, probably due to the fact schools is back in session. I did check out the restaurant, seemed OK, but I liked the atmosphere of the "Ponds" across the street. If I stayed longer, would have tried the hotel restaurant. (You can get a breakfast included on some of the rates). All in all a good stay and I would stay here again.

I always get a kick out of some of the comments regarding the Seaside as being dated, or that it reflects back to the 60's or 70's. In the same vein these folks say they decided to come to Hilo to experience Hawaii the way it was! Well ya got it - now enjoy it - I did.

Room Tip: There are no elevators. If you have mobility issues ask for ground floor. Interior rooms are quiet...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank hiwayhowie
Reviewed September 21, 2012

This is a great place as far as location is concerned. It is in a very picturesque spot across from the bay and lagoon. Plenty of places to walk with great views with giant Banyan trees. A short distance is the gorgeous Japanese garden in Hilo's Lili'uokalani Gardens. No crowds and the most beautiful landscaped park to stroll or picnic in.

The room was dated as stated in other reviews, but clean. The thing is, don't expect upscale in Hilo as it is Old Hawaii and part of it's charm. It's like stepping back into the 50's. The staff was very friendly and attentive. The grounds of the hotel had lovely plants and the pool was clean, but basic. Still a very good value in all for a good location. Do yourself a favor and eat at Ken's Pancakes just a block away instead of the hotel restaurant. It is much better and open 24 hours, serving breakfast at anytime of the day.

Room Tip: The pool area is a bit noisier, so you may want to stay away from those rooms as families do stay at...
1  Thank JanP9
Reviewed September 20, 2012

The hotel was very good in its category (but generally in hotel category it is average I think). The staff was very helpful, we had no problems with the early arriving and the late check out. The free wifi is working only at the lobby.

The room was good, we had no problems. The only disadvantage may be the airport nearby, and the not properly closing windows. The first plane was approx at 7:30am so not too early (at the night there are no flights :)), but it was very load...

The breakfast was great.

Altogether it provide good value services for our money.

Room Tip: Try to choose rooms not facing to the main road
Reviewed September 20, 2012 via mobile

Ok, let me start out by saying that Hilo isn't a fancy place with fancy hotels, so the standards on that side of the island are lower. That being said, the hotel is in a good location, overlooking the water. It's a little drive to downtown but a nice quiet location. It's right near Banyan drive with a beautiful street lined with old, massive banyan trees. The rooms are extremely dated and upon first glance, I was mortified. After closer inspection, I realized that the room was very clean and had all of the necessities to have a good night's sleep. The staff was nice and we had no problems to mention. The price was really exceptional for Hawaii, so if you need a good value and aren't too picky about the decor, this is your place.

• Stayed: September 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hilo
Castle Hilo Hawaiian Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Kailua-Kona
Kona Seaside Hotel
Kona Seaside Hotel
#5 of 14 in Kailua-Kona

Been to Hilo Seaside Hotel? Share your experiences!