“Lovely place, especially our room (155)! Hoe to come back!”
Review of Hilo Seaside Hotel

Hilo Seaside Hotel
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Hilo
Reviewed August 14, 2011

My sister and I stayed in room 155, which opened on the large koi pond. Although the room furniture is fairly basic, it is very adequate. What was wonderful was being able to leave the screened louvered windows open, as well as the sliding glass door (screened) at night. The breezes, combined with the ceiling fan, made for delightful sleeping. There is air conditioning, but we didn't use it. Good location, quiet in the evening, delicious omelets at the Coconut Grill (hotel restaurant). We hope to return!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,085)

Reviewed August 14, 2011

Excellent hotel--was worried about the noise because of previous reviews; noise was absolutely no problem. (Never heard the neighbors, never heard the traffic.) Staff were extremely friendly, and it was in a great, placid location. Hilo was not very busy even in July--again, I was expecting traffic noise because of reading previous reviews. Compared to Southern California, this place is serene, and traffic compared to SoCal is a LOL. Gimme a break!!! The free breakfasts were good, too.

Only downside was the Ponds restaurant--which is within walking distance from the hotel. A reviewer wrote that it was "the best restaurant in Hilo" or something like that, so I made reservations there. The prices were high, and the food was bad (excessively salty and fatty). The staff was very friendly, as is typical in Hawaii, but both my and my companion's food was pretty yukky. Actually, this was the only unpleasant dining experience we had in our one week stay on the Big Island. (Try the hotel's own restaurant or the very close Ken's House of Pancakes. In town, Cafe Pesto--a little pricey, but try their pizzas--or Il Pescatore (Italian) are both great bets.)

Two things surprised me about my trip to the Big Island of Hawaii: One, the fact that it was uncrowded, even in July; and two, the fact that the local Hawaiians were soooo friendly.

Anyway, back to the topic: The Hilo Seaside Resort gets 5 stars from me.

1  Thank WorldTrvlr92648
Reviewed August 8, 2011

We were told not to expect much in Hilo and the comments were right on. Very inconvenient hotel with steps everywhere, no elevators and awful room soundproofing. Meals were overpriced and inferior though staff generally helpful and friendly. Think Motel Six with friendlier staff. In future I think it would be better to stay on the other side of the island and just drive over to do business each day. Surprisingly, the hotel seemed full for the five days of our stay.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Cymbo32737
Reviewed August 4, 2011

It's a nice charming hotel with hawaiian handicrafts /quilts around the lobby hallways, courteous staff, and a pretty view to the seaside for the room we stayed in (received a free upgrade to a ocean view double bed from our king bed garden view, but I guess in the hotel's defense we never complained about getting the double bed...but maybe they should have been more aware). We stayed for 3 nights and received breakfast coupons to use at the coconut grill adjacent to the hotel. Breakfast from the coupon menu at the grill was just okay. People who were not ordering from the breakfast coupon menu seemed to be getting better looking dishes. I am a very sound sleeper and did not hear any noises from the airport. My fiancee said he heard some noise but it he was able to sleep. We would recommend this hotel if you are planning to be 'out and about' especially as we were out in the Hilo/Volcano park side doing activities and could rest up at the hotel before tackling the next day. One thing that was irritating is the key cards for the room were very temperamental and was a pain to get back in the room. However, we never brought it up with the hotel staff as we had our activities booked for the entire day and only had to wrestle with the key card once a day when we got back.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 29, 2011

This hotel was recommended to us as being the best in Hilo. Is an older hotel with musty rooms and a confusing layout. I wouldn't ordinarily recommended but I must say that the staff there were very helpful and that made all the difference. Would I stay there again? Do I have any other choices? I guess I would, only have to give me a pretty good reason to visit Hilo again anyways. We were spoiled by the sun of Kona so he'll was just a transit point to get back to Honolulu as well as jumpoff point to see Volcanoes national Park.

On a related note, there is a wonderful Thai restaurant called Sombat's a few blocks away which we highly recommend

Reviewed July 29, 2011

Most people who go to the Big Island tend to stay at the fancy resorts located on the western side of the island. So if you are looking for resort-type of amenities and service, then Hilo Seaside is NOT the place for you. The hotel is a great place for those who need a home base to travel along the eastern side of the island. The location is very close to the Hilo airport. Noise from the air traffic isn't too bad if you don't plan on getting a semi-early start to the day and if you return after about 9 PM.

From the hotel, the drive to the Hawaii Volcanoes National Park is approximately 45 minutes. To get to the Hamakua Coast, the drive is about 1 hour and about another 30 minutes to get to Waipi'o Valley.

I did not include any pictures in this review since the pictures other people have placed are correct. The room we stayed in was average sized. I thought we had booked a king bed, but when we got to our room, 2 double-sized beds were present. It was a blessing in disguise since that gave us more room to put things like our bags and miscellaneous items. If you're traveling as a couple and one of you is a light-sleeper, you may want to consider sleeping on separate beds. The beds are not as firm as the Sheraton and Hilton hotels, so when one person moves, you'll feel it. There was a small dorm-sized refrigerator in the room, which was placed on a fold out suitcase holder. The bathroom was on the small side and had only a shower. They did have standard bath amenities, but I recommend to bring your own. All rooms apparently have hairdryers as well. I believe you could request to have a microwave placed in your room. The a/c is an in-window unit and does the job. There was also a ceiling fan to help cool the room.

We booked the room directly from the hotel website, which gave us a low rate and a free breakfast. The breakfast was a *real* breakfast with hot food and juice or coffee. It was a great way to start the day, except for the sub-par service. If you go after 8 AM, there are less people to fight with. Also, you can get the breakfast as take out.

For those who are not traveling with children, I would request to NOT be located adjacent to the pool. The families with children tended to be placed there and since children tend to wake up early, well, you'll be woken up early as well.

One of the perks of this hotel is their laundry room. They are coin-operated machines. They have the detergent, etc also available for purchase as well.

The pool is a little on the small side, but if you're in Hawaii, you should be at the beach.

The internet is available for a fee and if you're a business traveler, I would suggest either staying at another hotel or having your own internet set up.

The hotel is great for those who are on a budget and want a home base for exploring the Hilo side of the island. After reading some of the reviews, I thought the hotel would be unclean, but this was not the case.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank badmaru
Reviewed July 28, 2011

I was hesitant when we chose this hotel but knew we would spend very little time actually at the hotel. We just want a base for a couple of nights in Hilo. This hotel met our expectations and more. They staff are very warm and friendly. They state that they are the only hotel in Hawaii owned by Hawaiians. The grounds are pleasant and tropical with an open air lobby and fish pond. The pool is basic but nice for a dip. We had 2 rooms and both were very clean. It is not a luxury hotel but is clean, well priced, friendly and comes with a free hot breakfast. It is a good bargain which is hard to find in Hawaii. We would stay here again if we are in Hilo.

Room Tip: Room numbers in the 20's are right on the pool which was great if you have kids.