“GREAT !!!”

Ranked #1 of 15 Restaurants in Hawi
Cuisines: Sushi
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: A 5 star casual experience expanding the horizons of sushi featuring locally grown and raised mostly organic products and ingredients.Plenty of offeings for non fish eaters,vegetarians and those needing gluten free dining.Owner operated ,friendly and welcoming.Amazing house made desserts,salads,sandwiches,broiled items and, of course,world famous sushi!
Reviewed October 17, 2016

We have eaten here a number of times as we live in Hawi. It lives up to it reputation. Great place for families, special occasions, or just a really good meal!

Date of visit: October 2016
alohapeter, Owner at Sushi Rock and Trio, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2016

Although I love and appreciate all of our guests there is a special place in my heart for my regulars and returning diners.Thanks so much for your kind words and for your loyalty.We never take it for granted and are always striving to improve.

Reviewed October 16, 2016

I read about this place on Yelp and it got great reviews. However, I have learned that Yelp reviews are not always in line with my tastes. I am happy to report that this is THE best sushi restaurant I have eaten at anywhere. It is in a very small town on the north end of Hawaii which was about an hour from our hotel. No complaints about the distance. It is a nice drive. Drinks were very good but the sushi is the star. They take sushi beyond the usual and are not afraid to push the envelope. I had the Hokey Pokey and Ming Dynasty. Sort of corny dish titles but so good. They really take pride in their meals and make every effort to make all diners feel like family. I am ready to come back. It is a good sign that locals, upon being asked for sushi restaurant recommendations, always listed Sushi Rock as their first choice. Nuff said!

Date of visit: October 2016

Your response to us and what we do is what fuels us.We truly are proud of what we do and when people respond in the way that you do it makes all of the hard work worthwhile.

Reviewed October 8, 2016 via mobile

We came to Kiwi to watch the turnaround of the bicycle triathlon

The restaurant is located in an old house

There were eight of us

We ordered variety of sushi,fish salads,rocket cones,
They were fresh and tasty

The fish sandwiches were served in huge portions

The desserts were also good especially the taro cheese cake

The service was also good

Will come again

Date of visit: October 2016

So happy your experience was what we strive to offer.I hope you visit Hawi again soon.Aloha and Mahalo!!

Reviewed October 7, 2016

We have been to the big Island of Hawaii twice. We stumbled across Sushi rock by accident 2 years ago. This time we made the 30 minute drive up the coast to specifically eat here. I love this place. The Ahi Poke is some of the best I have ever had. Peter (owner) & Sasha have been great hosts both times we have been there.
If you are looking for an unexpectedly good experience, give Sushi Rock a try.

Date of visit: October 2016
alohapeter, Owner at Sushi Rock and Trio, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2016

As always kind reviews such as yours are never taken for granted.We really strive for excellence in both cuisine and service.So thrilled you found both.It was a pleasure waiting on you and seeing you again.

Reviewed October 6, 2016

Unfortunately the manager on the night my boyfriend and I came in said a few things that made us both feel unwelcome. We had just had dinner at Bamboo down the road (where the server gave me a free glass of wine because she thought I was such a nice customer!) and wanted to get coffee so we wandered in. The server was very gracious and invited us to sit down. We sat at a table for four (it was late and a rainy night and the place wasn't busy) and the manager called over to us from the register to please sit at a table for two (one was dirty so we sat at the other one. This struck me as very odd and that the manager should have come over personally to ask us rather than call it out in front of everyone else. So we were already a bit on edge. I decided to order a dessert because I thought we should spend a bit more considering it is a local business and a full service restaurant not a cafe. We ordered a $9 dessert. Not cheap but I live in New Zealand and desserts at this price are not unusual. It was good if not exceptional (whipped cream came from the can which I thought was a big no-no). The coffee was very good and again our server was very polite and efficient. We had forgotten the earlier incident with the manager and were having a great time. I asked for the check and presented my credit card. The manager asked if I had cash. He said that they usually request cash if the bill was under $30. Again the flow of our good night was interrupted by this odd request. Where I live in NZ it is not unusual for cheaper restaurants not to accept credit cards but they will accept debit cards or have a $10 minimum for credit cards. But this was not some hole in the wall. As a rule I don't carry much cash when I travel and if a bill is $16 for two coffees and a small cake I would expect my credit card to be gratefully accepted. To top it all off when I explained that neither one of us had enough cash he said "Well can you remember for next time? The fees are really high." We were just incredulous. It was so inappropriate. I bit my tongue because I was keen to say "There won't be a next time buddy so don't worry about it!" It's a shame because the menu looked amazing and I would have been keen to come back for dinner some time. But I am not going to a patronize a business that doesn't make me feel 100% comfortable especially when I make every effort to be a polite and reasonable customer (as the folks at Bamboo could see). I am not some dumb haole who doesn't understand the Big Island, I have been traveling here for 10+ years and lived in Hawaii nei for 3, and my uncle and aunt are small business owners in Hilo. In fact they are sushi caterers. I think I'll just buy my sushi from them in the future. If you charge $9 for cake and are moaning to your customers about covering a 3% credit card fee then maybe you aren't running your business properly.

2  Thank JJ P

I'm sorry but I'm going to cal BS on your holier than thou review.I very politely requested that you sit at one of three tables for two that were open as the entire evening had been busy with unexpected groups of four showing up.In addition anyone who has been to Sushi Rock knows how small it is and that I did not "call across the room" but merely requested that you sit at an appropriate table.In addition if you are so familiar with restaurant management you would understand why I requested (politely) cash for a small sale.I pride myself in kind,friendly service and Sushi Rock is known for this.I'm sorry,truly,if you were uncomfortable but I suggest you did that to yourself.Since you listed yourself as an expert in Hawaii,restaurants and sushi I would've expected more compassion for two very reasonable and kindly stated requests.