“The Best”

Ranked #1 of 15 Restaurants in Hawi
Cuisines: Sushi
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: A 5 star casual experience expanding the horizons of sushi featuring locally grown and raised mostly organic products and ingredients.Plenty of offeings for non fish eaters,vegetarians and those needing gluten free dining.Owner operated ,friendly and welcoming.Amazing house made desserts,salads,sandwiches,broiled items and, of course,world famous sushi!
“The Best”
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Forget the rest, eat the best. We ate at all the " oh you must eat here" places on the Big Island. They all sucked in comparison to Sushi Rock. Hands down best food on the island. Yes it's a tiny place. Yes it's a funky atmosphere. No there are no white linens. But the food is so amazingly good and it's not over-priced liked everywhere else. Peter, your Sushi Rocks!

alohapeter, Owner at Sushi Rock and Trio, responded to this review, March 24, 2013
As we approach our 10th anniversary I cant begin to tell you how much your review means to all of us at The Rock!Thanks for taking the time to write.Aloha-Peter

San Mateo, California
“I yearn to go back to Sushi Rock”
Reviewed March 21, 2013

I'm from the San Fran bay area and we have a lot of good/great sushi here, but Sushi Rock is easily the best I've ever had in my life. The sashimi melted in your mouth, and some of the rolls, i.e. pele's revenge had to much flavor to describe in words. We had a group of six for late lunch, so I tried a variety of different rolls and was equally impressed with all of them. We visited Oct. 2012 (Go Giants), so I know this review is a little late but it was always nagging in the back of my mind because this place deserves it. Simply amazing!!!!!

Visited October 2012
alohapeter, Owner at Sushi Rock and Trio, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
So appreciative of your comments.Thanks so much.Aloha-Peter
Garden Valley, California
“Sushi Rock, Rocks!”
Reviewed March 21, 2013

What a great place. A tiny restaurant with outstanding sushi and the best Mai Tai on the island. My husband had the Ahi special with macadamia nuts, Fuji apple, brown sushi rice and the freshest ahi. I had the fish cakes and they were great. The coconut stout beer was also outstanding. Can't wait to go back.

• Visited March 2013
Thanks so much for taking the time to review us.Aloha-Peter
Hilo, Hawaii
“great sushi”
Reviewed March 9, 2013

We have had sushi at some pretty fabulous places. For comparison, our favorite sushi restaurant anywhere is Matsuri Sushi in Benicia. For me, there is no comparison between a sushi restaurant table experience and the bar experience. But I digress. It looks like there is a bar at Sushi Rock, but the restaurant is really a table place. I am tempted to give it a 4 rating because of this, but that does not seem altogether fair.

We tried several items on the menu, and the special roll was the standout item. It is that roll alone that earns this place the 5 rating for me. The rest of the sushi was good, but not great. I have seen photos of other of their items and it is evident from the photos that the special roll was not a one hit wonder. This place makes some awesome sushi. It means we have to go back and explore the menu with care.

It is a small place, and reservations are probably a good idea. The manager is gracious. It is truly wonderful to have such a cool place to eat not so far away, especially when we live in a world of expensive resorts where every meal is superpriced.

Anchorage, AK
“Yup, it's good.”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

I've come not to expect a lot traveling in small towns in Hawai'i. The pickings can be very, very slim but more often then not there's a beautiful shell or two buried in all the sand. Sushi Rock is one of those places. It's a very lively small town restaurant that caters to both locals (at night) and tourists (at lunch). Peter knows his local clientele and he knows how to welcome newcomers. Sushi Rock is successful because it's vibrant and because the menu takes a couple of specific local ingredients and works them hard. You'll find basil, mac nuts, ahi, ono, tenderloin, and avocado making repeat appearances on the menu. We ate at Sushi Rock for two of our four nights in Hawi. We were impressed both times. If we have any complaint it's that the overuse of nuts made some of the rolls quite bland with the earthy nature of the nuts overwhelming the fish. We thought that greater use of citrus or lilikoi in the recipes could have brightened the overall flavors of the rolls.

Our advice- avoid the rolls with the nuts and seek out rolls where the flavors have a chance to pop.

Also- make reservations for evening seats. We saw people turned away both nights.