“Well-deserved recommendations”

Sushi Rock and Trio
Ranked #1 of 16 Restaurants in Hawi
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian, Hawaiian
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: A 5 star casual experience expanding the horizons of sushi featuring locally grown and raised mostly organic products and ingredients.Plenty of offeings for non fish eaters,vegetarians and those needing gluten free dining.Owner operated ,friendly and welcoming.Amazing house made desserts,salads,sandwiches,broiled items and, of course,world famous sushi!
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Well-deserved recommendations”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2013

This gem of a restaurant was well-recommended by other travelers and guidebooks and it did not disappoint. I did not travel to the North Kohala area of the Big Island for the purpose of eating at this restaurant, but I'm glad that I did.
The restaurant is located in Hawi, a neat town reminescent of the Old West.
The town has several nice antique and stores featuring works of local artists. It is located on Highway 17 (Akoni Pule Hwy) which terminates at the fabulous Pololu Valey Lookout.

The menu is not the purist's idea of sushi, but it works.
Lots of Hawaiian influence at work here including macadamia nuts, papaya, Maui onions.
Not a bad place for vegetarians too; The Islands can be a difficult place at times to find good dining options for vegetarians, due to the abundance reestaurants featuring beef and fish/seafood.

The restaurant service was friendly and low-key.
It was a unhurried and lovely afternoon meal in paradise for our crew.

Also, they had a charming cat who ended up sleeping near my chair while I ate. (Seems to be a lot of cats roaming around the island!)
There were a lot of fabulous-looking desserts and other sushi items that looked like a reason to return again and again.....but that will have to wait until the next time i go to the Big Island.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank cincydoc2011

Seattle, Washington
“A yearly tradition”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2013

Hello Sushi Rock! My family and I spent dinner with you all last week, Thursday or Friday, and needless to say, we had a fabulous time. The drinks are creative, the sushi is phenomenal, and even the green-tea infused edamame can make one beg for more. The owner was our waiter and we enjoyed his enthusiasm (I too, love to cook and hope to have a small place like his one day). The Bombay roll was divine, and it left my family talking about it for days. I even enjoy the Vegan Caterpillar roll that consists of Avocado "Sashimi", Mac-Nuts, Fuji Apple, and Cucumber -- it is so refreshing! My family travels to the Big Island on a yearly basis (we stay 20 miles S. at the Mauna Kea Beach Hotel) but for the past 3 years we have made it a priority to visit Sushi Rock. Although I can agree, the prices are steep for sushi, sushi is SUPPOSE to be expensive.... I encourage all to read about Japanese traditions surrounding sushi. Sushi these days (in local supermarkets, and conveyor belt sushi restaurants) are a disgrace to the fine quality that sushi should be. Its truly an art, and its an art that Sushi Rock does very well. And if anything, I am happy to spend the extra money to help out a local/small business and/or restaurant.

Aloha and Mahalo!

• Visited January 2013
alohapeter, Owner at Sushi Rock and Trio, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Christine..I am so honored and humbled by your remarks.Thanks for making us a part of your family's vacation.I am grateful for your appreciation of what we strive so hard to accomplish and I appreciate your support.I also appreciate the opportunity to say that our prices are driven by the difficult business climate here in Paradise as well as my insistance on only quality items and house made ingredients.Aloha and Mahalo!
Honolulu, Hawaii
“The best sushi!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2013

Even though is price, the quality is wonderful, great ingredients, original rolls... no fake wasabi or Red#40 ginger. No MSG, great!

Visited January 2013
Thanks so much.See you again soon (I hope)
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Tasty and Friendly”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

We stopped by on TA recommendations and couldn't have been happier. We had the Poke special and a roll - great use of local foods and spices.

I so appreciate that you took the time to write such a positive review.Thank you,thank you,thank you!
Los Angeles, California
“very special, a meal to remember”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

we came here twice, love the creative menu, the ambiance. for those who like something new and a funky atmosphere. this place is not conventional -- it is hip and one-of-a-kind.

• Visited December 2012
alohapeter, Owner at Sushi Rock and Trio, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Thanks so much for your kind remarks.We work hard to please you and create delicious fodd for you to enjoy.Mahalo and aloha!