“Gone down a bit since the last visit”

Sushi Rock and Trio
Ranked #1 of 15 Restaurants in Hawi
Cuisines: Sushi
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: A 5 star casual experience expanding the horizons of sushi featuring locally grown and raised mostly organic products and ingredients.Plenty of offeings for non fish eaters,vegetarians and those needing gluten free dining.Owner operated ,friendly and welcoming.Amazing house made desserts,salads,sandwiches,broiled items and, of course,world famous sushi!
Sydney
“Gone down a bit since the last visit”
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I was quite impressed with the restaurant a year ago when I discovered it and was looking forward to another hit. But its standards have slipped, owner Peter doesn't seem to be around much these days though I did see him. However, he was more concerned with hissing about and dissing the neighbouring Zest restaurant--which I ate at later and was tops! The sushi preparer seemed disinterested and slow, more into his phone than the task at hand. The server was perky and the food OK, but not the same that I glowed about last year. TIme to up your game folks.

A few places have closed like Luke's and a few more have spring up including the excellent Zest which fellow travel writers raved about to me. The new breakfast hang appears to be Lighthouse Deli and the coffee buzz is definitely Kohala Mill.

Visited September 2012
alohapeter, Owner at Sushi Rock and Trio, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Aloha-I am extremely disappointed with your review as it contains inaccuracies and especially because when we spoke you raved to me about your experience and told me that the five star chef travelling with you raved as well.I was not there for one of the meals you had so you conclude that Im not there as much anymore?Not fair and not true in that I spend 95% of my week in the restaurant and when you dined the one afternoon I was buying fish.As for my dissing Zest,that is also untrue and I remember when you mentioned it I was just unresponsive as the owner and I do not get along and publically I choose silence as any other response would be unprofessional.I am always open to constructive criticism and will speak to my employees again about phone use but I disagree strongly with most of your remarks and so do most of our diners.

Anaheim, California
“...Drools...”
Reviewed September 10, 2012

I heard about this place from my zip lining instructor. We weren't super hungry so we only tried 2 rolls...simply delicious and not your typical rolls. $19 a roll for specialty/uniqueness is a bit pricey but worth it to try something new. We had the bombay sunset roll and 1 of the house special for the day with pineapple cilantro sauce on top (not enough cilantro!). Anyways, do try the pineapple mimosa!!! I'm in love with that now.

• Visited September 2012
“Beat Meal on Big Island”
Reviewed September 8, 2012 via mobile

Super fresh fish and local ingredients, beautifully prepared. Simply delicious. The best meal we've had on the big island. Very friendly people. Small, brightly colored interior. Oh, almost forgot the desserts- awesome.

alohapeter, Owner at Sushi Rock and Trio, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Thanks so much for your kind notes.We work really hard to ccreate the best experience possible and customer appreciation iswhat we live for.Aloha-Peter Pomeranze Owner/Manaager/Chef
Nevada City, California
“If you love sushi”
Reviewed August 25, 2012

At first we weren't sure about our choice as Sushi Rock is very casual and a bit understaffed. On the night we were there Peter, the owner was the front of house answering phone calls, seating people and the only waiter for about 8-10 tables. But once we got "rolling" the ambience, music, martinis and sushi kicked in. The fusion of fresh ingredients, great fish and inventive add ons like pesto had our table asking Peter to roll another one, just like the other one!

• Visited August 2012
Houston, Texas
“Not a traditional sushi joint, which is good!”
Reviewed August 24, 2012

Goat cheese crostini, fish cakes, vegetarian sandwich, and some great dessserts for lunch. Oh yeah, we had some sushi as well. Don't come here just for maki rolls and saki, come for great food and a great atmosphere. Smallish hole-in-the-wall restaurant that takes its food very seriously, but not too serious! If you go to one place on the island, go here.

1 Thank judsongirl81