“Funky spot along the road.”
Review of Bamboo Restaurant

Bamboo Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 15 Restaurants in Hawi
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Come to Bamboo for a feeling of the "Real Hawaii". Located in a historic building, we offer lunch, dinner and Sunday Brunch, and we invented the Passion Fruit Margarita and Mojito. Browse the gallery for local art and crafts. Come and find the aloha of the islands!
Reviewed February 4, 2014

Bamboo sets the tone for friendliness on the Big Island. The Asian inspired menu offers one a chance to experiment with rice noodles and seafood. The owner was working the floor going from table to table. Service is quick and courteous. Try the local ice cream either there or across the street.

Reviewed January 31, 2014

According to my travel book Bamboo is somewhat of an institution in Hawi and essentially can be credited for putting Hawi dining on the map. The service here is fantastic and the alcoholic drinks will definitely surpass your expectations. Try the very fresh and perfect on a hot day lilli mojito or my wife's "greatest pina coloda ever", the Pina Kohala. One of the entrees we ordered, the coconut crusted chicken, which was essentially chicken and vegetables in a light but flavourful coconut broth/sauce was delicious and organic - easily one of the best dishes we've had during our stay in Hawaii. We recommend stopping here after a morning at nearby Pololu beach and following the return hike back up the hill because by then you will be famished and deserve a good meal. Two drinks, two pupus (appetizers) and an entree was $70 incl tip.

Reviewed January 31, 2014

We got there late and they had to ask the kitchen if they could serve us, so this might not be a regular experience. There was entertainment - a local husband-wife team who were very good - even did the hula, but their close harmony singing was the best. Our entrées were very good and the service was quite attentive. However, our dessert was nothing special, so won't give them full marks.

Reviewed January 30, 2014

Everything we ordered was very tasty. The fish was a bit over cooked for my liking but I still enjoyed the meal. We had tropical drinks and a bottle of wine. It was an unexpected jewel in our travels. We were lucky, make sure you get reservations. We were right there at 6pm when they openned for dinner and most people had reservations. Not a place for young children. There was live music. I let them know we felt the fish was over cooked at then end. They really wished we had sent it back to make it right. I don't send meals back, I just eat them unless there is a health issue or impossiable to eat.

Reviewed January 27, 2014

Very basic decor, food ok but not great. Not inexpensive either. Our male server (15 year Bamboo veteran) was extremely pleasant and female owner was very attentive. Cool thing she told us while we visited with her was that when she dies, she has willed the restaurant to her employees! Glad we tried it b/c it is an institution on the Big Island, but don't need to go back.

2  Thank Starrml56
mangogirlhawi, Owner at Bamboo Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2014

Really? Boy, sometimes people surprise you! I thought these people were nice or I would never have told them my private plans for them to make public. That is rude. My bad. We appreciate constructive criticism, but just snark and undefined put-downs are annoying and not at all helpful. I'm glad they won't be back to our "basic, not great, expensive" place. Whew.