“Excellent Food !!”

Bamboo Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 15 Restaurants in Hawi
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Come to Bamboo for a feeling of the "Real Hawaii". Located in a historic building, we offer lunch, dinner and Sunday Brunch, and we invented the Passion Fruit Margarita and Mojito. Browse the gallery for local art and crafts. Come and find the aloha of the islands!
Ridgely, MD
“Excellent Food !!”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Once again family told us to stop here....and they were right....food was excellent, service good and it is a very old building. If we lived here, I would eat there twice a week !! Stop as you are exploring the coast. Does not sit on the water but, food makes up for it !!! I had the chicken pot stickers....delicious !!!

• Visited February 2013

Creston, Canada
“So friendly!”
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Stopped in to ask for two coffees to go since the coffee shop across the street had just closed. I couldn't believe how accommodating and lovely the hostess was. She kindly led me over to a seat and in no time at all two french presses were brought out, along with take out cups, fresh milk and a spoon for me to stir it all. I mixed my coffee, paid the modest bill, and was on my way. Had a moment or two to look around and enjoy the quaint atmosphere of the dining area and definitely made a note to myself to come back for dinner. Thanks for the fabulous service and the coffee was great!

Visited March 2013
Maryland
“What happened?”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

My husband and I have been to Bamboo many times when we visit the Big Island. Our daughter has heard about this restaurant from us over the years. So while on the island with us this visit I couldn't wait to introduce our daughter to Bamboo for a meal.

We were seated quickly at a lovely table in the corner by the window. Our waitress was efficient and answered our questions about possible choices. I ordered a grilled ono with salad greens. This was very similar to a salad I had at Bamboo last year. I knew the fish was local caught and the salad makings were grown locally. I could already taste the succulent fish and fresh greens as I ordered this meal.

My salad arrived quickly and I took my first bite of the fish. WOW! What happened? My long awaited meal was disappointing. The greens, while good, weren't the butter lettuce I remember from before. The hearts of palm were served on the side. The salad greens standing alone could use some tomatoes, carrots or other condiments to compliment the greens. The fish was slightly dry from overcooking and it was too salty.

I wish I could give Bamboo a better score,like before, but due to this less than stellar meal sadly I can't.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank drewslake1
mangogirlhawi, Owner at Bamboo Restaurant, responded to this review, March 17, 2013
Wow - this is a tough one. I've written and apologized to the reviewer. But, did they tell their wonderful server that the fish was dry? We would ALWAYS replace it! We have never had butter lettuce as they "remembered". We've always had mixed organic salad greens, grown by the same farmer for 20 years. The salad comes with hearts of palm - on the side, where else would we put them? It comes with organic tomato, organic sweet potato or ulu chips, and macadamia nuts, so I don't know what other "condiments" they wanted. The lesson is PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE tell someone if you are unhappy with your meal. I absolutely promise you we will make it right. I apologize again to the reviewer.
Anchorage, Alaska
“An oasis”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I am an explorer my family, is a lttle less enthusiastic. I talked them into driving north with a promised lunch, at another resteraunt, it was no longer open, this one was. Fate is awesome, this resteraunt had a nice shop inside, a gallery upstairs, and every dish was delicious. My only regret was not to buy their drink mix. The surrounding town like may other in the islands is a former sugar town that has reinvented itself and done an amzing job. This was my wifes favorite day on the big island. East breakfast or lunch here and enjoy the nearby site of which there are many. Across th street is good coffee and ice cream!

• Visited April 2012
Yikes! We only serve breakfast on Sunday! We're so glad you enjoyed your time with us - and you can get the cocktail mix online at our website. Mahalo and aloha!
travelerewl
“Fun, funky, with good food”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I love visiting Hawi. The art galleries and shops are filled with creative art pieces, unique to Hawaii and lovely to look at or buy.
Bamboo Restaurant is always a must on my trips to Hawi as well. The food is delicious, the staff very pleasant and professional, and the atmosphere funky. The wooden floor, tables and chairs tell you that this restaurant has been around for a long time. There is artwork for sale hanging on the walls along with some pictures from years ago. I always feel welcome and feel like settling in for a tasty lunch well served.
My elderly aunt and I both had quesadillas. She had the appetizer version and I had the lunch serving. Both were filled with Kalua pork, jalapeño jack cheese with fresh fruit salsa on the side. I highly recommend these; the appetizer size was perfect for my aunt while I enjoyed the larger sized tortilla generously filled with the pork and cheese. The staff clearly know what they're doing and service was prompt and polite.
I wish my next trip to Hawi was already planned. Whenever it happens, I know I'll eat lunch at this fun, relaxed restaurant with the good, good food.

• Visited March 2013