“Great dining experience”
Review of Bamboo Restaurant

Bamboo Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 16 Restaurants in Hawi
Cuisines: American, Asian, Polynesian, Hawaiian
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Drinks, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Come to Bamboo for a feeling of the "Real Hawaii". Located in a historic building, we offer lunch, dinner and Sunday Brunch, and we invented the Passion Fruit Margarita and Mojito. Browse the gallery for local art and crafts. Come and find the aloha of the islands!
Los Angeles
“Great dining experience”
Reviewed April 23, 2008

We didn't experience any of the negative things mentioned by other reviews and found our experience at Bamboo to be near perfect. The service was first-rate, with our waiter and staff people attending us every couple of minutes. The restaurant is in an old building that was originally a hotel, but has been remodeled to have a Hawaiian-tiki flavor. Our meal started out with chicken pot stickers, which were delicious! Main course of mahi mahi with potatoes and vegetables was great. And desert samplers topped off a yummy meal.

Saint Louis, Missouri
“Mediocre food at a premium price and some bad service to boot.”
Reviewed April 18, 2008

Before my first trip to Hawaii a couple of weeks ago, I wanted to find some good restaurants for some local flavor at a fair price. I realized that there weren't going to be any great deals on an island, especially in Hawaii. I don't mind paying a premium for a decent meal, as long as im not stil moderately hungry when I leave. I had noticed that Rachel Ray had taken her $40 a day show there, and the menu on the internet peaked some interest as I am a potsticker fanatic. We took a day trip north of the Waikoloa area away from the overpriced nachos at the hilton to Hawi. We shopped for a little while up and down the street and stumbled into a neat little shop that has a restaurant as well. I looked at the menu and said "Hey, this is it, the place I read about with the great potstickers. " So we decided to give it a shot. I was traveling with my girlfriend and her 3 kids 11,13 & 14. The waitress was slow to get there, and a bit impatient when she did. The potstickers come in an appetizer portion of 4 for $10.95 and the entree portion that advertizes "more of those same glorious potstickers".... yeah, it comes with 5 plus a scoop of rice. So, we had a chicken teriyaki sandwich, the sliders, a pork quesadilla, the mac crusted ono special and the pu pu platter ( 2 potstickers, 2 shrimp, 2 quesadilla slices and some slaw) and everyone had water. total: $81 plus tip, and everyone was still pretty hungry. The pu pu platter was pretty tasty, the potstickers especially with the spicy sauce on them, but not worth the hype, or a special trip out of the way. The ones in the food court at the queens shops in Waikoloa were just as good, for 1/4 the price. The sandwiches came with about 6 waffle fries a piece and not a lot of meat. The ono was good, but not any different from any we had had anywhere else. The waitress didn't offer us any dessert and only came back after I sent someone else to go look for her to bring the bill. Bottom line, the hype isn't worth the trip, I'm glad we weren't there for dinner time.

4 Thank filipinomatt
mangogirlhawi, owner at Bamboo Restaurant, responded to this review, January 8, 2009
Wow Matt! You really are a food court guy. You're clearly happier there than at a fine dining restaurant. For reference, the pot sticker appetizer is $8.75, not $10.95 as you wrote, but I'm sure it is cheaper in the food court, where it is undoubtedly bought frozen rather than made fresh as we do here. (News flash: it costs more for fresh food than the pre-fab frozen stuff they serve in food courts.) By my count, you had 6 full lunch entrees for just over $10 each. Definitely more expensive than the food court! (Your teriyaki chicken was free-range and organic, your buns freshly baked. Sorry, that costs more, Matt.)

I apologize for the service, but it happens when we get busy. I have no excuses, and will remind all of my servers to stay on top of it!

So, Matt, I guess Bamboo really isn't designed for folks with tastes like you. We're here for people who want fresh, organic, flavorful food in a fun environment. Enjoy the food court!!
Boston
“Fantastic, unique dining experience”
Reviewed February 23, 2008

Nobody ever goes to Hawi on the North Kohala Coast of Hawaii, but if you happen to pass by there (it's a short drive from Kamuela), definitely stop by Bamboo. This was the best meal we had on the Big Island - the menu is very unique with a combination of Hawaiian, Thai, and other Asian flavors. The chicken sate potstickers are amazing, and you can buy the recipes for a lot of the great entrees for $5 in a Bamboo cookbook. Best of all, everything is eminently affordable, so you have a lot of opportunity to experiment with the exotic menu choices.

Victoria, BC
“What a disappointment”
Reviewed February 20, 2008

I was riding around the Big Island with my cycling club, so was really looking forward to dinner at Bamboo after pedalling over the mountains from Waimea-Kamuela.

Unfortunately, my dinner experience was of the same wonder-bread-cheeze-whiz-stale-coffee meal I found so typical of Hawai'i. My meal turned out to be a large plate of tasteless noodles in a bland white sauce involving coconut milk, mixed with a tiny handfull of veggies and three--count 'em--THREE, shrimp.

Meanwhile I watched a lot of overdone deep-fried appetizers go by on plates to other diners, and was glad I hadn't committed myself to more selections off the menu.

Considering that it was pouring rain outside, it was far too hot inside the restaurant and I couldn't WAIT to get out of there.

I wished I'd bought some instant noodles and eaten in my room.

4 Thank Dwyn
Newport, RI
“Don't Waste Your Time”
Reviewed February 11, 2008

Often called "Best Big Island Restaurant" - that must be a joke. Food was really, really bad. Passionfruit Margarita was about the only enjoyable part of the meal, service was okay. Unless you're stuck in Hawi, Bamboo is a definite DON'T.

4 Thank SUNDAE84