“Historical character”

Bamboo Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 15 Restaurants in Hawi
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Come to Bamboo for a feeling of the "Real Hawaii". Located in a historic building, we offer lunch, dinner and Sunday Brunch, and we invented the Passion Fruit Margarita and Mojito. Browse the gallery for local art and crafts. Come and find the aloha of the islands!
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I had heard that you MUST go to the Bamboo Restaurant for lunch when you're in Hawi. I've been there a couple of times over the years and the food is okay. Probably best thing about it is the gift shop.

2  Thank Kona_Babe
There are newer reviews for Bamboo Restaurant

Reviewed September 16, 2012

Very good lunch. All the dishes ordered were great. Really liked the pulled pork sandwich. Comes with a pineapple coleslaw. Didn't sound good to me, tried it and loved it. If you like coffee they serve a delicious cup of locally grown Kona coffee served in a french press. Sooo good.

Reviewed September 15, 2012

Felt it was a bit overpriced and the food was rather bland. We had the catch of the day Hawaiian Thai style and the Kalua pig. Did not enjoy either dish. Just not enough flavor in the meats and the thai curry had the consistency of microwaved gravy. I liked the service and ambiance ok but would not return or recommend.

2  Thank Shai_Gyul
mangogirlhawi, Owner at Bamboo Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2012

So sorry, folks. When people ask me about the Kalua Pork, I do tell them that the flavor is "simple." It is the traditional Hawaiian preparation, and I (like you, it seems) prefer more complex flavors. We do doctor it up in other dishes. We don't microwave anything in the restaurant, but my chefs should not have allowed the Thai Coconut Sauce to go out with a thick texture. For shame! I apologize. FYI, it's not a curry, it is actually called "Evil Jungle Prince" and it WILL thicken and needs attention. Siiiggh... we just aren't perfect .... Hope you find some restaurants you like!

Reviewed September 15, 2012

Bamboo is located in a 100 year old former store in the old Hawaii town of Hawi. The atmosphere is funky and fun---with lots of locals as patrons.---and is generally a good place to hang out for a while and relax. We had an excellent lunch there and also enjoyed a very well priced happy hour---with a good choice of very tasty pau paus.
Bamboo is well worth the drive. We look forward to returning on our next visit to the Big Island.

Reviewed September 12, 2012 via mobile

In three words... I loved it! From the moment you walk in, you feel welcome and at home. The building is at least 100 years old and has been a hotel and a grocery store. Take a few minutes and read about the history of the building in the front of the menu. It is quite interesting. Forget the pricey, impersonal restaurants in the resorts and take the short drive to Hawi and experience amazing fresh local cuisine. The service was excellent and the wait staff extremely competent and friendly. We will most definitely return and would recommend this restaurant without hesitation.