“Some of the most beautiful driving you will ever do”

Kohala Mountain Road
Ranked #3 of 19 things to do in Hawi
Reviewed June 10, 2014

Start in Hawi or Waimea - either option has something to do. A stunning vista throughout - bring your camera - stop a few times and take it all in.

Reviewed June 5, 2014

I'd never heard of this referred to as the Kohala Mountain Road, but now I know. If traveling to/from Hawi or Pololu, one must definitely take this route in at least one direction; I think the route toward Waimea is the most scenic direction.

Reviewed April 25, 2014

My oh My, I guess I have been living little Kauai for too long. The drive alone the upper ridge of Kohola was really nice. We stopped at a pull over and had a light lunch. The birdsong and views were amazing. Nobody tailgated! boy, I love big island. Seemed like everywhere we went folks engaged us and were sweet, friendly and helpful. I hope your time on Big Island give you the smiles it gave me!

Reviewed April 15, 2014

This is a narrow, winding road that connects North Kohala with Kamuela and the east side of the island. It is used by folks going to and from work as well as going to additional shopping areas, schools, other medical services, etc. The point here is that this road is well-used by all. It is not just a "view" road.
There is a scenic overlook point. Views down the coast are great. There are also times when you can see Maui, Lanai, and Kahoolawe from other areas of the drive.
You may also be greeted by the sight of a snow-capped Mauna Kea as you drive around a curve. A great surprise to be enjoyed and appreciated.
There is a lot of vehicle traffic on this road, especially during commute times, and very few safe places to pass. Bicyclists should use caution as there is virtually no shoulder to which to move. Motor vehicle drivers should use caution because you may come upon a bicyclist or two or three or more when you least expect them.

1  Thank Ele L
Reviewed March 26, 2014

In our attempt to see as much of the Big Island as we could in one week, we drove a loop from the South Kohala coast, north to the end of the road at the Pololu Lookout, back through Hawi, down the Kahola Mountain Road, through Wiamea and back to the coast. Amazing diversity of climates from the hot-ish coast, to the cool north and back to the lushness of Wiamea. Next time, I'd probably take a slower tact, either on a bike or in the car with a night in Hawi to explore the Pololu trail and the funky shops and galleries. I'd prefer a slower drive or bike ride down the Mountain Road to enjoy the lush ranches and pastoral landscapes. I'd like to stop at the many farmers' markets in Wiamea and end up back on a beach on the coast to watch the sunset. Can't wait to go back...

1  Thank SunriseAddicted