“It will roll your eyes back”
Review of Lighthouse Delicatessen - CLOSED

Lighthouse Delicatessen
Cuisines: Delicatessen
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating
Reviewed June 9, 2011

We stayed on the big island in Waikaloa for two weeks and ate at Lighthouse Delicatessan three times. From the outside, it looks like most buildings in Hawi - cultured and well-worn/loved - but the interior is actually quite new and very tastefully furnished and finished. It opened October 2010 and it already has a steady flow of local customers/lucky tourists coming in to enjoy the absolutely amazing gourmet quality and prepared food.

The sandwiches are amazing - my family enjoyed the classic Reuben sandwich - so good!, a homemade meatball sub, and cranberry turkey sandwiches which were all pretty much to die for. Not to mention the warm soft pretzels made with brown sugar dough and honey mustard - a must try; you'll be back. The fresh bread is also delicious and the people who work there are so personable and always ready to chat, tell stories and have a good laugh.

If you're an outdoorsy type, Chris Scelza (I think one of the owners of the Delicatessen) has some good tips on what to do around the island. He's quite the adventurer himself, having ridden down Lion's Back in Moab, Utah a few times on a bike.

All around, a GREAT place. You would be missing out if you didn't make it here at least once. Delicious, gourmet quality food, great service, great people, great atmosphere and now one of my family's go-to restaurants whenever we're on the big island. Sometimes we make special trips to Hawi just to eat there.

3  Thank CorelliEats

Reviewed May 17, 2011

My wife and I were struck at the high price of eating out throughout Hawaii. It didn't matter if you were eating in a small or big city - $15/person/meal was about average.

We saw the review for the Lighthouse Deli and figured we'd give it a try for lunch on a trip up to see the black beach nearby. My wife had a meatball sub and I had a turkey sandwich. The ingredients were all fresh, tasted great and the price was around $10 each. They also had some interesting drinks and flavored tortilla chips that were novel. We would have also liked them to have Diet Coke but that was available across the street at a souvenir shop and they didn't mind us bringing the Diet Cokes over.

There were several people seated at tables around us and each of their meals looked plentiful and appealing. I'm not much for corned beef but that looked like a huge classic New York style sandwich. All in all everything was great!

1  Thank Hippityandhoppity
Reviewed May 14, 2011

Great service, friendly people! The "specialty" sandwiches are pricey ($13) but if you make your own sandwich its much cheaper (9$). Overall, their foods delicious and i recommend stopping there.

Reviewed April 23, 2011

Let's get this part out of the way first--it was excellent--and a very pleasant surprise! Now then, I typically only write reviews for Trip Advisor if I think the place warrants a review (good or bad)--and the Lighthouse Delicatessen does--a good one. My S.O. (Significant Other) and I spent the weekend in Kailua-Kona and travelled up to Hawi to do the Zipline. Wanting to eat before we went, so we gathered up some local advice only to find most of the places closed for the Easter Weekend or not yet serving (at 1100?). Anyway, we wandered around until we, with admitted reluctance, elected to go into the Lighthouse Deli. Clean and friendly, but when we looked at the menu prices we balked for a second, but with few options we went ahead. Two sandwiches with side cucumber salads, one gratis water and a beer--$32. I know what you're thinking, and yes, expectations were kinda low--until the food arrived. Truly folks, those were the best sandwiches I've had in ages and they were robust--completely worth the price--we were utterly stuffed at the end. My dear Other had the Turkey Cranberry with Stuffing and couldn't eat it all (I had to help). It was the whole Thanksgiving Day Dinner in a sammy! Fresh roasted turkey--not processed lunch meat with a great cranberry compote and real stufiing--dee-lish! And I had the Chicken Cordon Bleu which was a full meal on a fresh roll; piping hot, and full of chicken breats chunks, cheese, ham, and gravy--awesome. The side salads nice and refreshing and a good compliment. The beer was a frosty cold Sierra Nevada Pale Ale which tasted pretty darn good out in the North Kohala sticks!! Yes, perhaps a teensy bit pricey, but I really felt that we got more than our money's worth in terms of quantity and especially quality--all above the line!. As for 'atmosphere'?--incomparable--a gorgeous blue sky, easy Hawaiian breezes, and nothing to do except enjoy great food and great company on the shaded sidewalk of Hawi!! I say--just do it!

2  Thank Fritz59
Reviewed March 9, 2011

My husband and I ate here today. We split our sandwiches 1/2 each, they were both amazing!! I ordered the Rueben and my husband the New Yorker, yummy!! Fantastic breads, meats, cheeses, sauces. These were seriously the best sandwiches we have had in a very long time!

1  Thank TammiK