“Miles Away from ordinary”
Review of Puakea Ranch

Puakea Ranch
Ranked #1 of 1 Specialty Lodging in Hawi
Reviewed July 18, 2010

We have just returned from a Hawaiian vacation that included 3 nights in the Miles Away bungalow at Puakea Ranch, and it was the most unique place we have ever stayed. No expense has been spared on luxuries such as the bath house (which is almost as big as some apartments I've lived in) and the private pool, yet all of the rustic-ness (if that's a word) of ranch living surrounds you.

We would walk around the property each day to greet the horses, chickens, goats and of course the wonderful dogs (who made us miss our own), but we'd then retreat to the fantastic pool area, surf the internet with the included wi-fi, or pump music through the built-in bose stereo system. The contrasts were stark but all worked together for a memorable stay.

North Kohala where the ranch is located is a hidden gem (or a hidden gem within a hidden gem, since I think of the Big Island as a whole as a hidden gem as well). The neighboring towns of Hawi and Kapaau are only 5 minutes away and continue the contrast theme, with a very small population but with some of the best eateries on the island. We liked the sushi place in Hawi (whose name I have misplaced) and really wanted to try Bamboo but it is closed Sunday and Monday. Kapa'a Beach Park and Polulu Valley are also well-worth the short drive.

20 miles away (inland) is also the town of Waimea which had some great shopping and outstanding restaurants (Merrimans was great). And about 20 miles south are the big resorts and beaches of the Kohala coast.

We hope to go back to the Big Island again in the next couple of years, and will definitely be looking to go Miles Away once again.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CanadianRambler
There are newer reviews for Puakea Ranch

Reviewed July 5, 2010

I have wanted to stay at Puakea Ranch ever since I saw it featured in Cookie Magazine. As our kids are now 4 and 7 we decided that this was the right time - and it couldn't have been better! The stunning views, the wide open spaces to explore, the friendly animals, gorgeous Yoshi's house and the amazing Hawaiian hospitality were more than we had hoped for. My kids had a great time on the beautiful tree swing, playing with the many toys that were available to them, visiting the animals, making leis, horseback riding... there was so much to explore on the ranch. We also enjoyed the gorgeous beaches and hikes that are nearby. Claudia was super helpful the entire time and really made the visit to the ranch special. We hope to come back in the future!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed April 25, 2010

What a wonderful experience! Stayed for about one week. The ranch is located in a beautiful area of North Kohala with views of the ocean. We stayed in James' Cottage. The house was beautifully decorated and had all the amenities: Flat screen TV, wireless internet, full kitchen, very luxurious bed and many windows that make it just perfect with a cool breeze!! The bathroom is located just steps away from the house and is amazing!!! Next to the house is a super relaxing and unique hot tub which you must try if staying at James' Cottage. The lady in charge Claudia was extremely friendly and gave us lots of advice on where the best places to eat and things to do in the area, not to mention she also took us horseback riding which I highly recommend. Overall if you are seeking a unique and relaxing vacation away from the tourists this IS the place! I am definitely planning a return and bringing friends!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 19, 2010

My wife and I stayed at "James Cottage" for a week in April. I wish we could have stayed forever. It was unlike anywhere we have ever stayed before. It was the most relaxing getaway ever. Way better than staying in any kind of hotel or resort. The scenery is breathtaking. The various other bungalows on the ranch are far apart from one another. So it is very private. The bungalows themselves are all absolutely amazing. It is both rustic and luxurious. I wish we could live this way all the time! There are horses on the ranch that you can ride for free. I highly recommend doing it even if you have never ridden (like us). The view is amazing. There are rolling hills, ancient Polynesian lava rock walls, cows, and beautiful views of the ocean. We just got back and are already planning to return every year. Next time we want to get "Yoshi's House". It has it's own private pool at the top of the hill overlooking the ocean. The Puakea Ranch is truly a special place and you can tell it is a work of love by the owners.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 14, 2010

My family and I have stayed at the Puakea Ranch 2 times previous and plan to make it a yearly destination. I recently had the opportunity to experience this lovely sanctuary solo with a friend. It is amazing how one destination can provide two different, yet unique experiences with my family but also as an individual retreat to rejuvenate the soul. We rode horses, hiked the unending acres, swam in pools, lounged in the gorgeous hot tub. Picked fresh ingredients out of the organic garden for meals. Fresh eggs from the resident chickens were delivered each day.
This time I stayed at the newly finished James Cottage. A lovely one room cottage with luxurious linens, kitchen, private hot tube and of course, the famous private bath houses Puakea is known for. The attention to detail and charming decor competes with any 5-star resort I have stayed at around the world. I prefer the unique experience versus the cookie cutter resort stay. When with my family it allows for the perfect outdoor Hawaiian experience and is a 10 minute drive to the best beaches without the hustle and bustle of a resort and small hotel suite. Oh, and the children's toy cottage provides a wonderful emporium of books, toys, and beach gear for the children to borrow. We have also stayed at Yoshi's house and Miles Away with family and friends. And for those of us who have to work as we vaca - it has all the modern conveniences you need.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed April 13, 2010

We are frequent and exacting travelers. We have stayed multiple times on Maui, Kauai (Poipu and North side), Honolulu and many places on the Big Island. We love the luxury of the 4 seasons and other high end hotels - and also have enjoyed the freedom of condos or rental homes. There is always a trade off - except, we discovered, and the spectacular Puakea Ranch, which is on the Big Island - north end of the Kohala Coast -where I stayed with my wife and kids (7 & 10 yrs). It has full-on incredible views of the Ocean and Maui from your room and anywhere you walk. An enormous and beautiful ranch to explore, with swings, meadows, pools, horses, chicken coop, etc. Huge rooms with amenities that surpass the most luxe hotel (furnishings, technology, bathroom products, etc). Its a true escape and the most magical place I've been in 15+ trips to the Islands.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank HollywoodCATraveler
Reviewed April 5, 2010

My wife and I were traveling with another couple and we all stayed at Puakea Ranch . We were interested in a little different vibe than the typical over crowded ocean resort. We were looking for a little peace and relaxation and what we found was a piece of "Hawaiian Heaven." We stayed in "Yoshi's House" while our friends stayed in "Miles Away". The bath houses are awesome. Every detail is lovingly restored. We have friends on the Big Island who were able to come over for dinner and take us on a moonlight hike that was unforgettable. We actually saw a "Moon Bow" among the incredible amount of stars. We felt like it was our own private resort. This is Hawaii's best kept secret, but not for long!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hawi
Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
Hawaii Island Retreat at Ahu Pohaku Ho`omaluhia
Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, Autograph Collection
Kings' Land by Hilton Grand Vacations
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii
Mauna Lani Bay Hotel & Bungalows

Been to Puakea Ranch? Share your experiences!