“Seriously, this is paradise...”
Review of Puakea Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hawi
Puakea Ranch
Ranked #1 of 1 Specialty Lodging in Hawi
Berkeley, California, United States
“Seriously, this is paradise...”
Reviewed November 17, 2012

Hi,

We just returned home from our stay at "Miles Away". It was the most perfect place we have ever stayed. The ranch is so beautiful, and our bungalow, pool and bathhouse made us never want to leave. We made a real effort to go out exploring every day but after an hour or so we would look at each other and say, I know what we should do, go back to the ranch. I'd read this in so many of the reviews of the ranch and sure enough, they were all true. Josh and the dogs and goats and the chickens were so much fun and we were well cared for by all. The guest book in the house was full (of course) and I didn't have any paper to leave a note so consider this my thank you, mahalo, to you for creating such a magical house and for taking such good care of this beautiful land. I hope this place never changes.

We will definitely be returning.

Jane Stutfield

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Puakea Ranch is as much a vacation rental type of place as a hotel. It's a cluster of immaculately restored and decorated houses set in a remarkable location on the green northwestern tip of the Big Island of Hawaii.

I stayed in Yoshi's Place, a former plantation house updated to include all the creature comforts of modern life (wifi, TV, fully stocked gourmet kitchen, separate bathouse with deep-soaking tub, excellent linens, etc.)

The deck of Yoshi's is an extraordinary place to watch the sun set as you gaze down the hill of the property and then out across the ʻAlenuihāhā Channel towards Maui (which looms in the distance from practically every window of the house).

The house is old and creaky in some ways -- it's real, after all. But the owners have tastefully decorated the interior, which is very classy, clean and comfortable.

A medium sized family would be very happy here. The owners have stocked the closets with everything you'll need -- games, books, linens, kitchen equipment. It's really ready for use the moment you set foot inside. Apparently they will even pre-stock the refrigerator with groceries, for a fee (I did not take advantage of this service).

The grounds are beautiful and totally in keeping with the environment around the little town of Hawi (about a 3 minute drive down the road). There is a swimming pool on the grounds of Yoshi's House (and perhaps for other houses as well).

Horses, sheep and other animals live on the property. You'll see geese and wild turkeys running around. You can pick up fresh henhouse eggs every morning and cook them up in your kitchen.

Take note: it is in a more secluded part of the Big Island. But this feels more like Hawaii than the strip of manicured resorts north of Kona (in this reviewers humble opinion).

In all, a special place in a special location. The owners are to be commended for the thoughtfulness with which they have designed and restored this property.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank oleskoo
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed October 25, 2012

I cannot say enough good things about Puakea Ranch and our stay there this past week. Everything from the accommodations to the land to the location to the beauty, far exceeded my expectations.

We stayed in Yoshi's house which was absolutely stunning. It felt like a home away from home from the minute we drove up. The house was gorgeous and the land surrounding it had everything: banana trees, a private pool with incredible views, a hammock, a tree swing... We were in heaven and our little 17 month old baby girl had the time of her life. Every morning, we'd walk to get fresh eggs from the chicken coop and veggies from the garden. And every night, we'd relax on the gorgeous porch and enjoy the island breeze and spectacular views. I honestly couldn't have asked for a better stay.

If you're looking for the perfect place to unwind and get a sense of real island living, this is the place for you.

We will go back again and again. And we will forever hold Puakea Ranch in our hearts!

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Leffress
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed October 20, 2012

We escaped to Puakea Ranch following an exhausting and hot week in Kona. It surpassed our expectations and was the quite, relaxing get away that we needed. Thanks! And thanks for letting us adopt Lola for 2 days; it eased our missing our own dogs! We found this on Tripadvisor and came based on the reviews. They are all accurate. A wonderful, quiet, relaxing visit.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Spent two days at the revitalising Yoshi's House on top of the hill overlooking Maui and the ocean with the wind in my hair and the lowing of the cattle in the side paddock. It's a special place which defies description somewhat since there is no check in or check out, you just drive up to your cottage a few miles out of delightful Hawi and then start to unwind. I started with the balcony at mid day finding a shady spot and a comfy chair, then eased into the stone pool for a float and view of the island across the channel. Settling back in for sunset on the inside day bed was a great relaxing time and the cows were settling down for the night as were the chickens and goats in the background.

Morning was a treat with overnight showers having cleaned the air and fresh eggs down the path at the chicken house for breakfast. It's completely fitted out with a great kitchen, the beds are comfy, the cottage is spacious and the bath with the telephone like sprayer is superb.

Would yearn to come back. It is authentic, old style paniolo (cowboy) country comfort. One of the best ten stays I've had anywhere... and I'm a travel writer from Australia having stayed on the island about 50 times.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
San Rafael, California, United States
Reviewed August 27, 2012

I stayed in James Cottage at this amazing sprawling ranch complete with goats, chickens, horses, dogs and an organic garden, not to mention freshly laid eggs for breakfast every day. I felt the owners of this historic spot had thought of everything to make my Hawaiian visit perfect in every way. The kitchens are stocked with everything needed to cook, the bed was so comfy, the rooms were immaculate, the porch and surrounding yard lush and inviting, complete with a hammock for my afternoon naps. The bath house transported me to another place in time. After visiting the town of Hawi, I loved coming back to my little nest to sit on the front porch, grill my dinner, watch the sunset over the ocean and listen to the breezes blow. I slept deeply each night. I walked the acres every day, enjoying the company of staff and other guests. Puakae Ranch has managed to keep the integrity of Hawaiian history and at the same time keep the houses clean, comfortable, impeccably decorated and maintained. This is my favorite of all the places I have stayed on the Islands and I look forward to returning this fall from Marin County, California which is almost as beautiful as the Big Island.

Room Tip: Each house has it benefits depending on how many are traveling. I loved the pools and hot tubs.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Delft, The Netherlands
Reviewed August 9, 2012

What an amazing experience again!. The horses, the fresh eggs, the amazing views, the peace and serenity and the accomodations, everything was above and beyond my expectations as usual. The additions to the ranch since the last time I was there are amazing.Thank you christie, I will be back again!

Room Tip: Cowboy if you are solo and Yoshi's with family
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank shamim1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hawi
Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, Autograph Collection
Hawaii Island Retreat at Ahu Pohaku Ho`omaluhia
Kings' Land by Hilton Grand Vacations
Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii

Been to Puakea Ranch? Share your experiences!