“Best Hawaiian vacation accommodations EVER!!!”
Review of Puakea Ranch

Puakea Ranch
Ranked #1 of 1 Specialty Lodging in Hawi
Boulder, Colorado
“Best Hawaiian vacation accommodations EVER!!!”
Reviewed October 25, 2012

I cannot say enough good things about Puakea Ranch and our stay there this past week. Everything from the accommodations to the land to the location to the beauty, far exceeded my expectations.

We stayed in Yoshi's house which was absolutely stunning. It felt like a home away from home from the minute we drove up. The house was gorgeous and the land surrounding it had everything: banana trees, a private pool with incredible views, a hammock, a tree swing... We were in heaven and our little 17 month old baby girl had the time of her life. Every morning, we'd walk to get fresh eggs from the chicken coop and veggies from the garden. And every night, we'd relax on the gorgeous porch and enjoy the island breeze and spectacular views. I honestly couldn't have asked for a better stay.

If you're looking for the perfect place to unwind and get a sense of real island living, this is the place for you.

We will go back again and again. And we will forever hold Puakea Ranch in our hearts!

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Leffress

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed October 20, 2012

We escaped to Puakea Ranch following an exhausting and hot week in Kona. It surpassed our expectations and was the quite, relaxing get away that we needed. Thanks! And thanks for letting us adopt Lola for 2 days; it eased our missing our own dogs! We found this on Tripadvisor and came based on the reviews. They are all accurate. A wonderful, quiet, relaxing visit.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Spent two days at the revitalising Yoshi's House on top of the hill overlooking Maui and the ocean with the wind in my hair and the lowing of the cattle in the side paddock. It's a special place which defies description somewhat since there is no check in or check out, you just drive up to your cottage a few miles out of delightful Hawi and then start to unwind. I started with the balcony at mid day finding a shady spot and a comfy chair, then eased into the stone pool for a float and view of the island across the channel. Settling back in for sunset on the inside day bed was a great relaxing time and the cows were settling down for the night as were the chickens and goats in the background.

Morning was a treat with overnight showers having cleaned the air and fresh eggs down the path at the chicken house for breakfast. It's completely fitted out with a great kitchen, the beds are comfy, the cottage is spacious and the bath with the telephone like sprayer is superb.

Would yearn to come back. It is authentic, old style paniolo (cowboy) country comfort. One of the best ten stays I've had anywhere... and I'm a travel writer from Australia having stayed on the island about 50 times.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
San Rafael, California, United States
Reviewed August 27, 2012

I stayed in James Cottage at this amazing sprawling ranch complete with goats, chickens, horses, dogs and an organic garden, not to mention freshly laid eggs for breakfast every day. I felt the owners of this historic spot had thought of everything to make my Hawaiian visit perfect in every way. The kitchens are stocked with everything needed to cook, the bed was so comfy, the rooms were immaculate, the porch and surrounding yard lush and inviting, complete with a hammock for my afternoon naps. The bath house transported me to another place in time. After visiting the town of Hawi, I loved coming back to my little nest to sit on the front porch, grill my dinner, watch the sunset over the ocean and listen to the breezes blow. I slept deeply each night. I walked the acres every day, enjoying the company of staff and other guests. Puakae Ranch has managed to keep the integrity of Hawaiian history and at the same time keep the houses clean, comfortable, impeccably decorated and maintained. This is my favorite of all the places I have stayed on the Islands and I look forward to returning this fall from Marin County, California which is almost as beautiful as the Big Island.

Room Tip: Each house has it benefits depending on how many are traveling. I loved the pools and hot tubs.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Delft, The Netherlands
Reviewed August 9, 2012

What an amazing experience again!. The horses, the fresh eggs, the amazing views, the peace and serenity and the accomodations, everything was above and beyond my expectations as usual. The additions to the ranch since the last time I was there are amazing.Thank you christie, I will be back again!

Room Tip: Cowboy if you are solo and Yoshi's with family
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank shamim1
Mission Viejo, California
Reviewed June 1, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Puakea Ranch in April of this year in James Cottage. From the moment we arrived, it was truly a unique experience. There was no typical "check in" procedure...we went straight to the cottage, the door was unlocked and we went in to discover a charming, clean and beautifully decorated place that was to be our home for the next 6 days. We really felt for our entire stay that it was our home and looked forward to going back to it at the end of our outings each day. The attention to detail at every turn was obvious and I really appreciated all of it. Sitting on the porch or in the private hot tub and looking at the spectacular ocean view while horses grazed nearby was a very peaceful and relaxing experience. The organic vegetable garden and hen house were great and we were able to make many meals from them. We felt like we were all alone on our own island. We hardly saw another person the whole time we were there, yet if we did need something, Daymon and Sarah were just a phone call away. We will definitely return and maybe try some of the other cottages, but for 2 people, James Cottage is ideal! The close by town of Hawi is also ideal for shopping and dining. A perfect location and trip all the way around.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank cindyadele57
Big Island, Hawaii
Reviewed May 27, 2012

We just got home from our anniversary trip to Puakea Ranch and it was the best anniversary ever! It is so unique and propels you to relax and enjoy life. The ranch itself is unlike any accommodations we have ever experienced. The attention to detail is overwhelmingly impressive. I personally spent much of my time on the tree swing in front of our bungalow. It is the small touches they have included that really had us appreciating the simpler things in life. We can't wait to go again & bring the kids next time!

Room Tip: The cowboy house was where we stayed but all the bungalows were private and relaxing!
Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hawi
Hawaii Island Retreat at Ahu Pohaku Ho`omaluhia
Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, Autograph Collection
Kings' Land by Hilton Grand Vacations
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii
Mauna Lani Bay Hotel & Bungalows

Been to Puakea Ranch? Share your experiences!