“Not Like Waikiki”

Segway Aloha Intro Tour
Ranked #2 of 5 things to do in Hakalau
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Discover Hawaii’s only Segway off road rainforest adventure!!In the land where rocks talk, birds sing and flowers grow, you can now take a magic carpet glide deep into the rainforest under the canopies, waterfalls, exotic plants and flowers on the all new Segway Off Road Adventures. Your certified guide will lead you through our botanical gardens where you can experience the taste of spices and a variety of organic fruits, listen to the soothing trade winds and then off to places deep into the rainforest you wouldn’t normally have the opportunity to experience, unless you are a true hiker. On a Segway, these trails become rites of passage, that makes this a once in a lifetime opportunity for a fun and tropical adventure in a way you call your own.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities
Houston, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Not Like Waikiki”
Reviewed July 4, 2012

This was a great adventure for my husband and myself. We spent some time on Oahu as well and that was not what we were looking for in a vacation. We first encountered Segways in Waikiki, and I was personally disgusted with the machines and how they zoomed around. On the sidewalks they were rude and forced their way through the crowds like they owned the place. My husband was intrigued by them, but I refused to be any part of it. On the Hawaii Island we loved our time their. We came across this beautiful garden that had what we were looking for in our vacation. It just so happened that their were Segways here as well. My husband begged for us to try them out, and I did not want to because of what we experienced on the other island. But the friendly people there talked me into doing their 90 minute tour, and I had the best time. It was the best part of our vacation. Jen our tour guide, whom also from TX, was great. She took us off the beaten path and showed us flowers, fruits, and streams. It was so relaxing, and not what I saw in Waikiki with too much going on, where I imagine there are lots of catastrophes. Thank you Botanical World Adventures for giving me a great time with such an intriguing machine.

Visited July 2012
5 Thank MissPrissHouston

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Great fun and educational too!”
Reviewed June 24, 2012

We arrived at 2pm and were told we missed our slot. Our travel agent messed up our reservation but they were kind enough to put us on the next tour that was more expensive, for no extra cost. We immediately fell in love with the Segways and had a blast riding around the gardens with a great host, Dr Lanny. He took us around the grounds as well as to his home next door and showed us all of the exotic (to us) plants, vegetables and fruits in his collection. The staff was very friendly and the gardens are beautiful. Everyone gets a bit of time to get used to the Segways but I would say that unless you feel comfortable with a Segway that you might want to tour the grounds on foot.

1 Thank FamilyJoe
“Waste of time&money”
Reviewed June 13, 2012

The staff and guides were great I had a terrible experience trying to get a refund because they over charge me from there management, who never seemed to be in the office when I would call.

Mark R, Manager at Segway Off Road at Botanical World Adventures, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Aloha, We are under new management and new ownership. We hope you would return as our guests and allow us to show the new experience as we seek to improve the guest experience with all our tours daily. Mahalo and A Hui Hou!
Baltimore, Maryland
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“The best way to see the sights!”
Reviewed May 27, 2012

Segways allow you to get to the most out-of-the-way places and see the surprises the Big Island has to offer, without being overly exertive.

We took a 2.5 hour tour and could have gone all day, we loved it so much. Rex was extremely knowledgeable about all the different local vegetation and lore, making each site more interesting. He was also a very patient instructor on the Segways, and put our safety first, although they are actually a very safe mode of transportation. It was easier than riding a bike!

I can recommend the Segway tours for anyone looking to explore the botanical gardens, waterfalls, and surrounding areas while having loads of fun too. I seriously recommend asking for Rex, if you go.

1 Thank Royal B
Canberra, Australia
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“So Much Garden to See”
Reviewed May 12, 2012

My partner and I took the 3 hour Segway tour of the garden and it was fantastic. The Segways gave us the ability to explore an enormous area in the time. Our guide was Dr Lanny and his knowledge of the gardens was incredible. We covered everything from canoe plants to introduced species and Lanny's demonstration of edible plants and fruits was brilliant.

Visited April 2012