“Segway Big Island - Great, Fun, Safe Experience”

Segway Off Road at Botanical World Adventures
Segway Ke Ola Tour
Ranked #2 of 5 things to do in Hakalau
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Discover Hawaii’s only Segway off road rainforest adventure!!In the land where rocks talk, birds sing and flowers grow, you can now take a magic carpet glide deep into the rainforest under the canopies, waterfalls, exotic plants and flowers on the all new Segway Off Road Adventures. Your certified guide will lead you through our botanical gardens where you can experience the taste of spices and a variety of organic fruits, listen to the soothing trade winds and then off to places deep into the rainforest you wouldn’t normally have the opportunity to experience, unless you are a true hiker. On a Segway, these trails become rites of passage, that makes this a once in a lifetime opportunity for a fun and tropical adventure in a way you call your own.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children, Food available for purchase
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Segway Big Island - Great, Fun, Safe Experience”
Reviewed March 30, 2012

This is a must do activity if you are visiting the Big Island. There are several Segway Tours, our tour guide took us through the beautiful botanical gardens and to a secuded waterfalls. Using segways was a great way to see lots of natural beauty without having to take an hike all day. The tour guides were fun and keep us informed about the history, plants, and culture of the place. Overall I would rate this as an excellent activity.

Visited February 2012
3 Thank AlohaMauiVista

Geneseo, Illinois
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Great tour; one of the best we had while on the Big Island!”
Reviewed January 23, 2012

We went on the Hanapueo Tour it was labeled as "challenging" on their website, but we found it to be well within our ability. The tour guides start you off on a practice course where you are able to practice your turns and starting and stopping. Riding a Segway takes a little bit of getting used to but after just a few minutes we had the hang of it. They will warn you that your feet will hurt because you are using muscles in your feet that you don't usually use. After a while on the Segway I no longer noticed my feet hurting. By the end of the tour it was second nature to ride the Segway.

The tour itself takes you through some tropical forest and through their gardens. We also toured through the horticulturist garden where he showed us a large variety of plants and let us try some of the fruits that he had growing. I was pleasantly surprised when our tour guides picked tons of different fruits and let us try them all. They were very knowledgeable about all of the plants and trees around the property. My brother was being attacked by mosquitoes, so we asked our tour guides if they had anything to help the bites and a few minutes later she took us to a tree that when you break off the leaves you can dab the stem on the bites and stop the itching. At the end of the tour they let you find your way through a maze made of bushes, which was a little corny but still really fun.

Wear closed toed shoes and take a camera. The tour guides were nice and offered to take pictures of our group. If you get really good at balancing on the Segway you may even be able to take pictures while stopped. They also stop and let you get off and take pictures and rest your feet.

Like another reviewer we also wish that there was some more "off-roading," otherwise we really enjoyed this tour. This tour worked out great for our family since my younger brother is not 16 yet so he is not able to do any of the ATV tours that are advertised on the island, but he was able to ride these since you only have to be 12 years old. Let's just say that he was raving about the tour once we got done!

Also, if you get there early before your tour begins you can drive a few minutes up the road from the office to a waterfall and spend some time taking pictures. The office will give you directions to get there. Booking a tour here also gives you access to the botanical gardens for a week (I believe) after the tour without having to pay an entrance fee.

Visited January 2012
5 Thank 2009Lexus99
ZipIsle, Marketing Director at Segway Off Road at Botanical World Adventures, responded to this review, February 2, 2012
Aloha and Mahalo for the kinds words. Our staff is great and we really look forward to your return.

Segways are easy for almost everyone, however we learn in the training area what the skill level and comfort zone of all the riders on a tour will be. You are right about the off roading as we have certain limitation with a group. The guides are excellent with their knowledge of the gardens and judging skills of the riders. They also know what the best route to take. We always have to judge based on the route that will best suit everyone and not just have a few go rogue. We want to make sure everyone has fun, but safety has to be the number one occupation of our guides.

Our guides also know a lot about the fruits and plants as you found out. That is one of the most unique aspects of our tours. Learning about the plants from the locals is a special take away from all the tours at Botanical World at World Botanical Gardens.

Mahalo and A hui hou!!
Mission Viejo, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“We almost died!”
Reviewed January 16, 2012

This was by far the worst experience I have ever had in Hawaii and I am an annual vistor. My husband and I are in our 60s and this was an awful experience for us. There was inadequate training which lead to both my husband and myself being thrown off our segways. The tour operator assured us that this was an "easy" 3 hour ride, but navigation of a steep hill and traffic in the rain did not meet my level of "easy". They should really train you more thoroughly with hills, turning, and backing up before you are put into these obstacles in hazardous situations! My husband even broke his rib due to being thrown off. The instructor was ambivalent and really no excuse since there were only 2 of us on this tour. Save your life by NOT booking this tour!!!

Visited December 2011
2 Thank VickiHI
ZipIsle, Manager at Segway Off Road at Botanical World Adventures, responded to this review, May 22, 2012
We have attempted to contact this reviewer as we have not had a report of this accident. We have offered to report the accident to our insurance if they would give a date and their name so we can determined how we wouldn't know about the situation, but they do not reply. Trip Advisor hasn't respond to our requests either. We only are posting this after exhausting our efforts to resolve the issue.
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 71 helpful votes
“Tons of fun (offroad segway and zip), even in the rain”
Reviewed January 3, 2012

We took the Hanapueo tour with the offroad segways. It was loads of fun even in a torrential downpour but I think you can expect some rain there any time--they have ponchos. The rainforest was beautiful and the tour was interesting and really laid back, although a bit more unstructured than the other city segway tour I've done. The tour guides were fun and fairly knowledgable and introduced us to local fruits (star fruit, lilikoi, etc) along the tour. We had lots of breaks to stop and look at sights.

I do wish we'd been offroad even more and that the tour was actually 180 minutes long (given the steep price). It was closer to 150 minutes.

It was frustrating getting the details of our reservations nailed down (I had a lot of questions) because all the advertised email addresses bounced and with the time change, it was challenging to call during their business hours. But, all the people there were super-friendly, when I did get through.

We also did the zipline tour, since they offer a package deal. It was really fun and the guides made me feel confident about hurling myself over deep chasms.

Both activities were very memorable highlights of our trip. I recommend strongly if you can afford it. I gave it 4 stars because it was really expensive and the segway tour should have been the full 180 minutes (the tour felt long enough, but managing customer expectations about value is the missing piece).

Visited December 2011
1 Thank KC_in_NC
Boulder, Colorado
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Great Segway Tour- Heavy duty segways- good training course to start!”
Reviewed December 16, 2011

This was our second segway tour in Hawaii. The first one was just an intro, pretty tame in Honolulu. The second one was at the Botanical Gardens. They did a great job of getting us familiar and comfortable with the Segways on a course with some cones before we even started. The guides were extremely knowledgable about the plants and ecosystem, with even some Hawaiian culture included. And, they didn't babysit you on the segway. If you wanted to you could roam a bit, not stay in a tight line. You did have to stay in the area of the group, but they let you zip around where you wanted. We had a ball. will definitely do it again!!!

Visited November 2011