“Wonderful Experience”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hakalau
Akiko's Buddhist Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 3 Hakalau B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 7, 2014

Akiko's was a really peaceful and wonderful get away from the touristy Hawaii. At first I was just going by myself and then a friend decided to join me. We wish we had more time than the short time we had on the Hilo side of the island. But her bed and breakfast is by the falls and really quaint side of Hilo. We shopped in the markets - had wonderful leisurely walks and lunch in town. Everyone was really friendly.

We will definitely be back again.

Her breakfast was wonderful!!!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed January 5, 2014

It’s perhaps a bit unusual to describe a bed-and-breakfast as transformative, but Miss Akiko’s Buddhist Bed and Breakfast is just that. It has been almost three years since my visit, but I think about it often. It is a place of quiet walks, breathtaking skies, engaging conversation, and simple pleasures. It is a place infused with a sense of welcome, community, gratitude, and conscience.

I have visited many beautiful places in my travels, places which left me thinking if only I could live some place like this, but Miss Akiko’s is different. Hers is a place that teaches you that you can live like this - her gifts remain with you long after the echoes of the coquis have faded from your memory.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank David M
Reviewed December 26, 2013

I wanted to experience Hawaii as I knew it as a kid and I was transported back to my grandparents' place in Hilo. The walk downstairs to the bath house, no keys issued and even the archaic room rate. Only the invasion of coqui frogs which can be annoying was a more recent change. But I had earplugs! My trip coincided with Rohatsu and although it was voluntary, I sat for all four nights and it has made me resolve to sit with more regularity in Phoenix. Great breakfasts with a variety of tropical fruits and good conversation.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Lloyd T
Reviewed December 13, 2013

Staying at Akiko's B&B is an experience that you would not want to miss out on, if you are looking to experience the true Hawaii - away from tourist vacation resorts. At Akiko's you will be welcomed warmheartedly and made part of the family. Akiko's homemade breakfast is delicious and a great way to start your day - in community with other guests and herself. The healthy breakfast consists of fresh, homegrown exotic fruits, oats and homemade breads. The rooms in the different houses are simple and clean, and provide all you need. The views out of the screened windows are so relaxing: palm trees, mango trees, banana trees - all is green. At night you can hear the raindrops pounding on the roof and the frogs. It is a true rainforest experience to stay at this B&B. I absolutely loved staying here (December 2013) and would strongly recommend it to anyone who is looking for more than just a vacation - but who wants to find out what life is like on the beautiful Hamakua Coast of Hawaii!
Yvonne Gustafson, Minnesota.

Room Tip: All rooms are great, just depends on your needs.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Yvonne G
Reviewed November 16, 2013

Akiko is very kind and treated us like family. Our room was spotless and beautiful. We had a room in the Hale Aloha. Every morning I hiked to the beach along a road that was a tropical wonderland. Close to Hilo and other places to explore. Alot of positive energy in Akikos. Hope to return.

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed October 30, 2013

I've stayed at Akiko's four times now, and every visit makes me want to move here. I've traveled to 26 countries and stayed in countless hotels, but there isn't another place like Akiko's anywhere.

The first thing I noticed when I arrived that very first night was how peaceful it felt. This is a place where you can set down your suitcases and your worries and just be. You want to leave the car behind for awhile? Walk down the lazy, curving road to the beach park and watch the sunrise and the surfers. Does the light spreading across your bedspread beckon to you in the middle of the afternoon? Lie down and take a nap; there's nowhere else you need to be. You need your coffee in the morning, get ready because Akiko's coffee is the Buzz. Need to make a phone call? Walk down the road to the baseball field and you'll get reception.

The thing is, a stay at Akiko's can be as much as you want it to be, or just a place to rest your head for the night. But to look at a stay at Akiko's as just another night's lodging is to miss out on what could be the transformation of your life.

When your daily roles and labels cover you like a dozen winter coats, Akiko’s B&B offers stillness and room to let all those layers fall away. You catch a glimpse of your inner spirit; that part of you that never leaves, but sits silent and waiting for you to slow down, listen, and remember. No pretending to have it all figured out. Just time and room to recall what it feels like to be yourself. Permission to accept that wherever you are with your life is okay. Once you remember how beautiful that feels,you can hold that feeling inside and try not to lose it again when you go back home. This, to me, is the best souvenir ever.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Lisa H H
Reviewed October 29, 2013

We would recommend Akiko's place for those who wish to experience an authentic slice of Hawaii, present as well as past. You will stay in an area steeped in local Big Island history and aloha. Akiko has a wonderful place that is clean, bright and happy. While there, you may have the opportunity to participate in local gatherings and events which Akiko often hosts. If you are going to visit the Hilo and the Hamakua coast (the most beautiful area of the Big Island), please don't miss a chance to stay at Akiko's B&B.

Mahalo and aloha.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Akiko's Buddhist Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!