“A place for the heart”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hakalau
Akiko's Buddhist Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 3 Hakalau B&B and Inns
Basel, Switzerland
“A place for the heart”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013 via mobile

This B&B is not a tourist accommodation, but a place of rest and peace for anyone wandering and exploring this beautiful island. Akiko introduced me to buddhist meditation and the local community alike and made me feel welcome at the beginning of a long journey. Her profound love for the land and people touched my heart. Mahalo!

• Stayed August 2013

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
LA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2013

Akiko's offers the quintessential aloha experience. She and her assistant, Linda, were so welcoming and accommodating, and the property is nothing short of breathtaking. If you are looking to break away and simply be in the beauty of the area, this is the place. You feel pampered without the high-tech and noise of high-end resorts. You are provided with everything you need. After a short 10 min. walk, you are in an isolated cove where you will likely be the only one enjoying the ocean and reveling in the serenity of your surroundings. Akiko also provides a wonderful breakfast with locally grown fruit and yummy bread! There's also opportunity to meditate with her, if you desire.

Room Tip: Please contact Akiko so together you can find the best fit for you, whether you are traveling solo o...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013

My Time at Akiko’s April 2013

I am shortly ending my 3rd stay at Akiko’s B&B in sleepy little Wailea Village just north of Hilo. It has been a rest full and peace full time. I’m wondering when I will be back again to enjoy the special nature of this place. I have stayed mostly in the Pu'uhonua House. Freshly painted and decorated the house has an air of sunny optimism but retains the old bones and character of the previous owners and time gone by. The house exudes a feeling of family (Ohana), a sense of place and being that large resorts will never have.

While you spend time at Akiko’s make time to get a tour of her gardens. For dinner get some groceries at a local market and cook your own dinner in the Pu’uhonua house kitchen and share a meal with your fellow travelers. Not to be missed is the very large Japanese style shower where you can wash away the days worries and come out squeaky clean. Be careful in the evening not to lie down too early or the sounds of the night from the rain or birds and frogs will lull you to sleep before you know it. At night you will be lucky to hear one car go by every hour or so on the Old Malamalahoa byway, a part of Hawaii that time forgot. In the morning Akiko will greet you with fresh coffee or tea and a filling hot cereal and fresh fruit breakfast and maybe will share with you her wisdom.

If you are on this part of the island Akiko’s is a great place to tour the area being central to Hilo and the Hamakua Coast sites. If here on a retreat you will be refreshed and if needing helpful advice Akiko will be here to assist you, often to encourage you to explore on your own. A long walk down to nearby Kolokole Beach Park or Hakalau Landing will help clear you mind and spirit.

If you are a musician or artist looking for a special small venue to exhibit your work Akiko’s garage gallery might be a good place to consider as well.

Room Tip: Great if you want an anti resort.....Old Hawaii feeling. Bring a friend to share the costs and peac...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank TheodoreJay
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2013

My husband & I (both stressed out New Yorkers) loved staying at Akiko's.

We were on the Big Island for 5 nights. We stayed at Akiko's Buddhist B&B for 3 nights to explore the eastern side of the Island and then stayed at a huge hotel compound near Waikoloa Village to attend a wedding on the western side of the island. While Akiko's Buddhist B&B does not provide valet parking, direct beach access, or the hand-and-food service of a massive hotel, what this gem of a place does offer is incomparable: an unparalleled Hawaiian experience. This B&B is off the beaten track -- and with good reason -- the atmosphere is serene, calming, and inviting. We felt free to walk through Akiko's lush gardens and enjoy the scents and sounds of Hawaiian nature. In the mornings, Akiko makes a (huge!) healthy, organic and locavorian breakfast. We enjoyed eggs (fresh from a neighbor's coop), homemade breads (made of taro/passion fruit/guava), and delicious fruits and plantains.

We enjoyed day trips to Mauna Kea, Akaka Falls, Volcano National Park, and Hilo. The drive to Volcano National Park was a bit far, about an hour, but it was great to have a "home base" to return to where we didn't have to set-up camp at another hotel and the drives were quite lovely.

Our rooms were lovely as well -- simple but very comfortable. The other guests were delightful and we saw them at breakfast (Akiko's place encompasses cottages and houses that are clustered together ... so there's definitely privacy if you want that or the opportunity to meet other travelers).

We'd love to come back here and stay at Akiko's again!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Clemson, South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2012

I have been to various of the Hawaiian Islands and stayed in many different places in Hawaii and this place was absolutely charming. I stayed in the large stand-alone cabin and loved being in the woods all by myself, listening to the frogs and the crickets and the wild boars(?) going by in the night. Akiko is a gem and could not have been more welcoming. She was calm, helpful, attentive and fascinating. I have gotten very interested in Buddhism since visiting with her and she even let me purchase and bring home the statue of the goddess of compassion which I admired in my room. The food was healthy and quite adequate; the location just a bit north of Hilo was perfect for my week's stay on this side of the island. If you don't like primitive, you should stay somewhere else; but if you don't mind the simple side of life, you'll love it.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Whitefish, Montana, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2012

My daughter and I came to the Big Island of Hawai’i to see a live volcano. But, what we discovered staying at Akiko’s B&B awoke something inside of us, something beautiful, solid, bright and serene.
It came from a deep place and is still just barely starting to pour out. We immediately felt welcomed and at home. Akiko’s reference to my daughter’s work cleaning houses as “creating spaces of peace” still lifts my spirits.

My daughter writes, “I felt a tiny little place of calm and peace, acceptance and happiness, staying at Akiko's Bed and Breakfast. I touched it briefly, for a moment, and like all moments it comes and
goes. What’s important, is that I felt it, and have faith that with practice and patience it will come again and hopefully each time a little longer. Akiko's bed and breakfast awoke a sleeping volcano
within myself.”

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Billie T
Muskegon, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2012

Each year Akiko's B & B hosts a group of photographers with all skill levels. This year we had 12 people in our group which is lead by Douglas Beasley, Photographer. I encourage everyone to stay at Akiko's on the Big Island. You will experience many things including the local culture, relaxation, great food (ginger tea, fresh papaya each morning). A wonderful time and I look forward to returning soon. You are in the woods so be prepared to listen to the sounds of the forest during the night also.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hakalau
The Palms Cliff House Inn
Hamakua Guesthouse and Camping Cabanas
Island Goode's
Island Goode's
#1 of 2 in Papaikou

Been to Akiko's Buddhist Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!