“Truly a retreat for your senses and your spirit!”

Ka'awa Loa Plantation
Ranked #1 of 15 Captain Cook B&B and Inns
Santa Barbara, CA
“Truly a retreat for your senses and your spirit!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2008

I returned from a week at Ka'awa Loa Plantation Guesthouse and I can't wait to return with a slew of friends. I haven't had a vacation in years and this was the first time I visited Hawaii. I'm so glad I chose to stay in one place where I was able to get to all the special spots on the Big Island within 1-3 hours. It's away from all the busyness and commercialism so it's truly peaceful and quiet, which was exactly what I needed after a long and hard year at work.

I chose a B&B because I was going as a single woman and wanted hosts who would actually wonder where I was if I so happened to fall into hot lava or got lost on a coffee farm. Thankfully neither happened!

The location looks over a bay and you can see sky, ocean and shoreline in one swoop. The breakfasts were simply delicious - a full hot meal with fresh fruit and the renown kona coffee.

What is especially nice about a B&B is meeting other guests who are from around the world as well as Greg's and Michael's friends. One night I was invited to join them and their friends for dinner (I chipped in some $$) and next thing I knew I was listening to authentic Ha'waiian songs being played on a ukele and sung by a gifted and famous Island entertainer as well as another guest who happened to know how to hula dance. It was truly a magical evening!

Michael and Greg are impeccable hosts who were attentive to my needs yet also helped me to feel at home. Daily they gave me suggestions for what to do each day as well as kikuo oil and ibuprofen for my sun burn.

One thing to be mindful is that the location can be a little tricky to find in the dark and the driveway up to the house can be steeper than some of those I've seen in San Francisco. Even so after arriving well after dark, I managed to find my way without too much trouble.

So if you want to stay in a place with personality, which exudes warm hospitality then make your reservations for Ka'awa Loa Plantation Guesthouse.

• Liked — Beauty and comfort of the house and room
  • Disliked — Wish it was a little closer to a beach
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank YeeHaSB

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
  • Korean first
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2008

The Ka'awa Loa Plantation is an outstanding place to stay. We had a large party, and stayed there, May 16-18, 2008. Owners Greg and Michael are very helpful, very attentive to your needs, and work hard to make this a wonderful place to stay. Highly recommended.

Stayed May 2008
Rye Brook, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2008

What a beautiful Bed & Breakfast! Not only were the views stunning but the rooms were gorgeous and the layout of the Bed & Breakfast is fantastic. The open layout plan makes the experience even more wonderful. The kitchen is in the heart of the house and from early morning on guests meet there in giddy excitement of the day to come! Michael and Greg are excellent hosts. They provide you with delicious breakfasts, lots of information and great hospitality. I loved staying there and felt truly home away from home!

I can't wait to go back!!!

• Liked — The rooms, the views, the hosts, the lava rock showers, the hot tub!
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled solo
mill creek, washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2008

This was our first experience with a B & B on the big island of Hawaii, as we have always stayed in a hotel when we visited the island. Since one of our daughters lives in Kealakekua, we wanted to stay in a place that was close by. My husband and I were traveling with another daughter and her two children, ages 11 and 14. I was dubious about staying in a B & B because I like privacy, and I wasn't sure if the children would have enough to do. Needless to say, the kids had a great time and were never bored.

Greg and Michael were such gracious hosts. The Plantation reminded me of a southern mansion complete with a big porch overlooking the bay that included big rocking chairs. It was a wonderfully relaxing experience eating our breakfast in the morning on the porch.

The breakfasts were delicious and well planned each day. There was enough to eat for even our pickiest eater! Different menus were prepared each day, and we looked forward to each morning to see what was on the menu. The turkey bacon was to die for, the scrambeled eggs with spinach and cherry tomatoes was delicious (I'm not an egg eater) and the blueberry pancakes were as light as a feather. The breakfasts also included a variety of fresh locally grown fruit, juice, smoothies, breads, muffins, some kind of meat - something for everyone!!

The kids and I all agreed we will definately return!

• Liked — Comfortable and food was great!
  • Disliked — no pool
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
Seattle, WA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2008

It's really difficult to find anything bad to say about this place. We stayed for four nights in the downstairs suite with private bath. The setting, the location, the furnishings, the hospitality are all first rate. We loved the outdoor lava walled shower, the hot tub and the breakfasts! The view (when not vogged in) is incredible and the location is great for hitting the beaches up north or the volcano to the east. There are also plenty of good restaurants along that stretch of the highway. Michael and Greg are gracious and friendly hosts. Our time here was much more enjoyable than the big hotel complexes and cheaper too! I already miss sitting on the peaceful lanai looking out at the bay. We will definitely return to Ka'awa Loa

• Liked — Friendly staff, breakfasts, serene setting
  • Disliked — Steep driveway!
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jsv888
Seattle, WA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2008

We stayed at the Ka'awa Loa Plantation in their little converted guest cottage for 9 nights and had a wonderful time! It was perfect for our little family (2 adults and a 3 year old) - and Michael and Greg were wonderful hosts! It was great to have our own full bath, but we only used our tub once - opting for the outdoor showers up at the main house. Our hosts invited us to cook some dinners up at the main house and joined us, along with other guests, a few times. The breakfasts were varied, but always tasty and they made a special effort to make my daughter feel comfortable and welcome. The sweet neighbor dog, Bette, provided hours of fetching entertainment. Overall, we had a wonderful time and hope to return again!

• Liked — The hosts
  • Disliked — Not close to amenities - had to drive everywhere
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank LinSeattle_WA
Longmont, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2008

The entire Inn is really beautiful. It hits you as you walk through the front door and see the sweeping views. We stayed in the Ka'awa Loa Suite for 3 nights and couldn't have been happier. The room was beautiful, very roomy, and had a nice large bathroom and walk-in closet. Gregory and Michael are very gracious hosts and offer a wealth of information on the area and activities. They are less than 10 minutes from the kayak rental to get you to the bay for snorkeling - highly recommended.

The breakfasts are amazing. These guys can really cook. They offer fresh fruit (from their plantation property) each morning, smoothies, breads and much more. Gregory's banana bread is heavenly. We'll never have banana bread that good again - until our next visit. The wrap-around lanai offers plenty of places to have breakfast or relax on your own, or if you want to mingle, guests tend to gather at the table in the kitchen. They have a beautiful property and the gardens are immaculately kept by Michael. They have a new hot tub and steam sauna...but we didn't have a chance to take advantage of them. Hopefully next time.

Highly recommended - it would be silly not to stay here.

• Liked — The owners really make the place amazing
  • Disliked — No complaints
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
Wyndham Mauna Loa Village
Wyndham Mauna Loa Village
#8 of 14 in Kailua-Kona
Four Seasons Resort Hualalai

Been to Ka'awa Loa Plantation? Share your experiences!