I returned from a week at Ka'awa Loa Plantation Guesthouse and I can't wait to return with a slew of friends. I haven't had a vacation in years and this was the first time I visited Hawaii. I'm so glad I chose to stay in one place where I was able to get to all the special spots on the Big Island within 1-3 hours. It's away from all the busyness and commercialism so it's truly peaceful and quiet, which was exactly what I needed after a long and hard year at work.
I chose a B&B because I was going as a single woman and wanted hosts who would actually wonder where I was if I so happened to fall into hot lava or got lost on a coffee farm. Thankfully neither happened!
The location looks over a bay and you can see sky, ocean and shoreline in one swoop. The breakfasts were simply delicious - a full hot meal with fresh fruit and the renown kona coffee.
What is especially nice about a B&B is meeting other guests who are from around the world as well as Greg's and Michael's friends. One night I was invited to join them and their friends for dinner (I chipped in some $$) and next thing I knew I was listening to authentic Ha'waiian songs being played on a ukele and sung by a gifted and famous Island entertainer as well as another guest who happened to know how to hula dance. It was truly a magical evening!
Michael and Greg are impeccable hosts who were attentive to my needs yet also helped me to feel at home. Daily they gave me suggestions for what to do each day as well as kikuo oil and ibuprofen for my sun burn.
One thing to be mindful is that the location can be a little tricky to find in the dark and the driveway up to the house can be steeper than some of those I've seen in San Francisco. Even so after arriving well after dark, I managed to find my way without too much trouble.
So if you want to stay in a place with personality, which exudes warm hospitality then make your reservations for Ka'awa Loa Plantation Guesthouse.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A sophisticated, plantation-style B&B ideally located directly above Kealakekua Bay. Offers luxury amenities such as an outdoor hot tub, a traditional Hawaiian cedar steam, outdoor lava rock showers, a wrap-around lanai with a Hawaiian daybed, a fireplace, and an unobstructed view of the South Kona coastline! The perfect place to base your Big Island adventures! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz and Priceline so you can book your Ka'awa Loa Plantation reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ka`Awa Loa Plantation Hotel Captain Cook
- Ka'Awa Loa Plantation Hawaii/Captain Cook