“Nothing more to say...”

Ranked #1 of 15 Captain Cook B&B and Inns
London
“Nothing more to say...”
Reviewed September 20, 2012

156 Excellent reviews - Stop reading, start booking.

We stayed in the suite early September 2012. It was magnificent. Greg and Mike are true gents, amazing hosts and the house and its grounds are magic!

Room Tip: Pick the suite.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Craig P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
  • Korean first
South Glastonbury, Connecticut
Reviewed September 14, 2012

A peaceful haven, a fantastic view and a warm and welcoming atmosphere. From the mango juice and macadamia nuts snack upon arrival to the bountiful breakfast, Michael and Greg were wonderful hosts. The massage on the porch and the outdoor showers were an added bonus. We would love to come back and stay longer!

Room Tip: All the rooms are beautiful and comfortable.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Ann L
Ballarat, Australia
Reviewed September 13, 2012

We stayed at Ka'awa Loa for three nights and it was so hard to leave. It is the most perfect place to stay and certainly our favourite throughout our trip.
For starters Greg and Michael (and Kathy) were AMAZING hosts. So welcoming and always willing to offer help and advice and share a yarn. The house and rooms are beautiful as are the spectacular views. The breakfast each morning was fabulous - so much choice. Being able to borrow beach and snorkel gear was also helpful as there are so many wonderful snorkelling spots nearby. Also loved meeting Betty the border collie as it reminded us of our dogs at home. Such a beautiful and well-behaved girl.

It really did begin to feel like home and it was very sad to leave. Will definitely be returning - this is paradise!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Concord, California, United States
Reviewed September 5, 2012

My wife and I just got back from a wonderful stay at ka'awa loa. My wife was searching around for a nice place to stay on Kona and was initially worried about staying here... for no other reason than she always wants things to be perfect and we had nothing except the internet to guide us.

Well, long story short she had *no* reason to be worried. Greg was warm and friendly and his mother Cathy who was visiting was just an absolute doll. Greg had the right balance of "being there" and "being gone". He was always there the instant you needed him, he was full of suggestions when asked, curious about our stay and just in general a very nice guy. Cathy was sweetness personified, and her breakfasts were FANTASTIC. She was making homemade liliko'i jelly (passion fruit) the day we arrived and we were treated to it at breakfast every day after that.

The view from the lanai is spectacular, the outdoor lava showers were relaxing and overall our stay was incredible. The decorating for the house was tastefully subtle and warm, to the point where I felt relaxed the instant we walked in at the end of our long days. I can honestly say it was hard to say goodbye to Greg and Cathy (unfortunately we didn't get to meet Michael this trip). We will definitely be staying here again (and in fact, I think my wife is already booking another trip on her computer as I write this).

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
The Netherlands
Reviewed August 28, 2012

What can I say... it was home! The hosts, the lush vegetation on the property, the welcome feeling, the mansion, the room, the bathroom, the fresh flowers in the room, the bed, the views, the breakfast fruits ánd coffee grown on their own plantation... just the best. Ever. Period.

I could extensively elaborate on the details of all the above mentioned, but take it from me, this place is just bound to enchant even the most spoiled traveler.
I've traveled and seen a lot, been to countless places all over the world - from five dollar backpacking hostels in South America and Africa with hardly a mattress on the bed to high end four or five star hotels like the Grand Hyatt, and a whole range of really nice and not so nice places inbetween, and the friendly and homey Ka'awa Loa is the one place where I felt so much at home and comfortable that I would happily spend a longer period of time here. I'm going back in December, and for good reasons.
I already look forward to hanging out again under the giant mango tree with the stunning ocean view, the huge sofa on the porch, the great music, the comfy living room and my really great room upstairs (with again the most stunning ocean and mango tree views imaginable).

Having a piece of beautiful property in paradise is one thing, but turning it into a place that feels like home to so many travelers and is truly stunning and well-kept at the same time is something that requires the right energy, and a lot of work. Mahalo to Greg and Michael for doing what you do.

Malama Pono!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed July 12, 2012

I arrived and almost wept at the beautiful view, when you book online there is always that little bit of doubt about what to expect. Ka'awa Loa was what I had expected from the website photos and more. The quality of the fittings and furnishings, tasteful decor and welcoming design of the house and the hosts makes you feel at home immediately. It's the little things and small touches make a difference, and sets this place apart, fresh frangipanis in my room, fresh fruit and juice on arrival. The hosts Greg and Michael ensure that everything that you need is taken care of with no fuss. As I had no activities booked, they helped me plan my itinerary with some local knowledge. I swam and snorkelled, drove the island, explored the volcano by heli and on the ground. I had the most amazing dolphin experience swimming with hundreds of Spinner dolphins, and then an afternnon lomi lomi massage on the deck enjoying the sea breezes. The hot tub and outdoor lava showers made me feel that I was at my own tranquil day spa. Travelling on my own the open plan nature of the house made chatting and socialising with the other guests from all over the world a really nice part of my stay, and there are also many spots to have private time to yourself if you prefer to be alone. Breakfasts are wonderful and sometimes Greg or Michael will make a special treat, like the afternoon home baked brownies that were yummy! Make sure you include some time to just hang out at Ka'awa Loa Plantation, it truly was a wonderful part of my Big Island experience. I had peaceful nights sleeps and some mornings woke to rainbows out on the bay. Magical! I have more than 20 years tourism industry experience including conducting regular quality inspections of accommodation, this trip however was pure vacation, but even so I couldn't fault it. Greg and Michael do a great job! They have definitely created a litte piece of paradise!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Natalie P
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed June 29, 2012

Walking in was like being transported into a private charming hawaiian plantation. Attention to detail in every respect: fresh fruit breakfast, beautiful soft sheets and bed, informative and friendly host and incredible views framed by mango trees - all combined to make this a beautiful stay.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Wyndham Mauna Loa Village
Wyndham Mauna Loa Village
#8 of 14 in Kailua-Kona
Four Seasons Resort Hualalai

Been to Ka'awa Loa Plantation? Share your experiences!