“Gorgeous setting, comfy & clean, friendly owner!”
other travelers have booked this property
Crows Nest Crows Nest & Hale Huna cottage
Fern & Peacock rooms
Hale Huna deck
Hale Huna room. $99/n.
Hale Huna
Jungle Queen boat room. $89/n.
Koi ponds
Jungle kitchen for guests
Breakfast buffet
Our bananas
Our peacock Romeo
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Ash H
London, United Kingdom
“Gorgeous setting, comfy & clean, friendly owner!”
Reviewed April 8, 2013 for a stay in March 2013
people found this review helpful

Christian and his lovely daughter live in a beautiful part of the big island - forest all around, and sea views! So it's very quiet and peaceful. Their house is gorgeous and we stayed in the Fern Room which is on the ground floor (Christian lives upstairs). Our room was clean with hot water for a shower, and the bed was comfortable. There was also a good flatscreen TV, which was an added luxury. Wifi was also freely available. The only negative aspect of the room, we found, was that the blinds provide very little privacy - if the light is on then anyone can see you from outside (although it's so quiet, there probably won't be anyone anyway).

The breakfasts were plentiful and yummy - fresh boiled eggs, coffee, teas, cereal, toast, avocado and fresh fruits, and cheeses. You have a chance to mingle with other guests over breakfasts - by doing so, we heard about manta ray snorkelling nearby, and upon asking Christian about it he immediately offered to call around the local tour companies to make a booking for us! And indeed he booked us 2 spots for that evening and it was simply excellent. He also chatted to us very warmly and openly about all the things we could do and places we could go nearby, including places to eat, as well as giving us an idea of the lifestyle on the Big Island! We certainly enjoyed his company and felt welcome.

This place is also great for animal lovers - there are two cats, one of which is particularly friendly, as well as some fish, chickens, peacocks and - a new addition while we were there - goats! And don't forget the wild pigs that wander around the area!

Last but not least, there is a very quirky outdoor kitchen which the guests have access to - although we did not use it ourselves it seems to have all the equipment and utensils you could need, and while we were there we saw other guests preparing their dinner so it clearly is all in working order.

If we ever return to Hawaii, we would be more than happy to pay another visit to Christian and his lovely B&B.

Friends getaway People with disabilities
Older travelers Families with young children
Large groups People with pets
Apr 7, 2013
Thanks for your kind words ! Next time you come you will find all rooms renovated. We have been working for 3 weeks and they now have bamboo flooring, new furniture and new drapes ! All other areas will also get some upgrades and manicure, so when we open in May it will be like new. Without loosing our down to earth feeling and rustic ambience. Hope to see you here again !
John S
Wickenburg, Arizona
“A Little Rustic, But Authentic Hawaii”
Reviewed February 22, 2013 for a stay in January 2013
people found this review helpful

Every now and then you need a real get-a-way . . . . to truly relax and forget about llife in the big city. Rainbow Plantation may be the place. Why? -- because you'll be able to hang ten with wild chickens (which cook up very tasty), mina birds, a few cats, and Christian your host and his staff who really enjoy being a part of your vacation!.
Staying at Rainbow is an experience in self-direction; do as little or as much as you wish. Crack Macadamia Nuts, open coconuts, make your own lunch and dinner in the outdoor kitchen (fridge, stove, coffee maker, and all the spices and condiments you'll need). Even connect to WiFi in any suite or while your dinner is cooking
You will need a vehicle (plenty of free parking), because Rainbow is south of Kealakekua by a few more miles than you'd want to walk . . . . although the adventurous can hike down a path to Captain Cook Monument and Park. And Christian provides free use of kayaks, life jackets, fins, and most anything else you might need durting your visit.
Breakfasts are wonderful: featuring fruits picked right on the plantation. fresh-laid eggs, home-made muesceli. Accomodations are currently in a state of upgrade -- including new draperies, shades, and even some furniture to replace the older things that came with the place. All-in-all, since my wife and I are not the type who who think the Waldorf-Astoria is not classy enough, we found Rainbow to be a fine home-spun Hawaiian experience.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Congenial atmosphere - ease of meeting and getting to know other guests
Liked least: Had to drive to town or anywhere else (not a problem if you have transportation).
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children
jimedens
San Diego, CA
“Charming Rainbow Plantation B&B in the heart of Kona coffee country”
Reviewed January 23, 2013 for a stay in December 2012
people found this review helpful

We like to visit the Big Island of Hawaii each year and we normally stay in a hotel. This year we tried something entirely different with a stay at the Rainbow Plantation B&B. The proprietor was quite accommodating in sharing his knowledge of the area, and with a generous Hawaiian style breakfast each morning including local grown fruits and Kona coffee. We enjoyed hiking down a mountain trail and along the rugged lava coastline by the Captain Cook Monument and Kealakekua Bay.

We enjoyed meeting guests from other countries staying at Rainbow Plantation B&B during our stay.

Rainbow Plantation B&B was recommended by friends and we liked it so much that we have already booked to return next year. We liked it better than staying in a hotel.

Liked best: Friendly B&B family style atmosphere
Liked least: Some of the cottages need some upgrades, but I understand that these are in the works.
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Jan 22, 2013
Thanks ! Much appreciated and glad you liked it here. Returning guests get a 10% rebate on the already lowest prices in the area !
girlfoodi...
Calgary, Canada
“Wort Experience EVER”
Reviewed November 30, 2012 for a stay in November 2012
people found this review helpful

My husband and I arrived around 11pm (due to a late flight). Christian knew this ahead of time. He told us to just walk into our room, that he'd leave the door unlocked. Surprise! People were staying in our room.

It took 2 hours to find Christian. Between calling every emergency number on the posted list and honking in front of Christian's home (he has a fence around it), he finally woke up. When he did, he told us that the guests wanted to stay longer, so he allowed them to do so. He the informed us that the only vacancy left was an abandoned boat on the property.

Since it was 1:00 am, we didn't have much choice. The boat was mildewy and the sheets had a thick layer of dust and leaves on them. My husband and I slept on a couch in the 'deck' part of the boat, as it was screened and smelled less of mildew. It was a long night.

In the morning, we arrived at the breakfast area to a crowd of people. There was very little food -- each of us received 1 egg, 1 slice of marble cheese, and a slice of pineapple. When we asked for another hard-boiled egg, Christian said one per person.

We went to complain to Christian after breakfast. He again, with no apology, told us that the guests in the room wanted to stay longer, ad eh had told them that they could do so. We told him that we were very unhappy and would be looking for another room. He was adamant, and quite rude, that the boat was fine.

Furthermore, there are no plants or animals on this supposed farm! There are two lovely kitties, but the horses, pigs, and other advertised animals are gone. The only thing growing was lillikoi. We did not see fruit trees of any other kind.

When we were packing, Christian arrived with a bottle of wine (from Walmart, no less!) and tried to make amends. We informed him that we'd found another place to stay during our vacation. We asked him how much money he'd like to receive to clean our "room." He said $50; eager to begin our vacation, we agreed.

The next day, $179.88 was charged to my credit card. I disputed it immediately.

Do not stay here. There are lovely places to stay in the vicinity.

Liked best: The view.
Liked least: Everything else.
Traveling group: Spouse/Partner
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Nov 29, 2012
A rude and incorrect guest. Some facts are outright lies.
Told me they arrive at 9pm. Instead they show up at 1 am in night, after sightseeing up to the mountain, got into my house (no gate) and yelled. Woke other guests and me up ! I told them they had to stay first night in another room and then move in the morning. Man said OK. I was first not going to charge for it. They wanted to come 1 night earlier than first booked, I had said yes, but could not give them same room first night. Yes a room in a converted boat, but CLEAN. Dust and leaves ? Not true. In the morning, this woman did not even come up for breakfast so what she writes is a lie. Our breakfast buffet is plentiful. Large by most standards. Banana pancakes ! ONLY husband came up to complain and then took all eggs and demanded even more, then left without sitting down. I apologized to him several times for that they could not get the original room, allthough I had never promised it to them for that additional night. We quickly got the room ready so they could move in but they instead went away for the day after I again apologized and gave them a bottle of wine. Walmart, does it matter where its bought ? Not good enough ? Never told me they were not going to stay here. Came back in afternoon and told me they are leaving. Wanted to pay $20 for 2 nights, I offered $50 cash. Man DID NOT AGREE, but gave me card, I told him then its full charge for 2 nights. FYI, We have plenty of fruit trees here, we have animals, some are in paddocks, Cannot have horses run around free... (pig died, sorry for that) Maybe if the woman would have walked around or stayed here would she have seen AND enjoyed it all as most of our guests do. We have lots of good reviews in our books, and on other booking sites, but most happy guests dont write reviews. Complainers and unhappy people often do.
walksrocc...
Edmonton, Canada
“I liked it anyway”
Reviewed August 11, 2012 for a stay in February 2012
people found this review helpful

I loved the birds. They do make noise, but I liked it very much. There is a gorgeous view from the breakfast area. You do eat breakfast with everyone, which is not everyone's cup of tea, but for me, it was all right. There are dog's running around, which I also like, but not everyone does. It is a very natural place. There is no need for air conditioners here. I enjoyed the extreme quiet at night....(except in the morning for the birds...which I DID like anyway) So, lacking the noise of de-humidifying air conditioners, there is a slight problem with dampness, but it was OK. Marianne, the host and owner is a lively, beautiful person and I wish her well. The grounds are beautiful, with two large fish ponds. The tropical plants are everywhere. It is entertaining to look out of your room and see a big fat hen with a name walking around. There are young people working there, sweeping the walkways every morning and helping to make the breakfast. It is such a unique place, hard to know how to rate it. In a lot of ways, it could have been better, but the breakfast view was fabulous, and really, for an authentic island experience it is hard to beat. Really lets you know what it's like to actually LIVE here. If you want a sterile, generic place, this is not for you. Chill out and enjoy the sunset.

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
Visit was for: Leisure
Traveling group: Couples
Sep 6, 2012
Aloha, I'm the new owner since March 2012. We are now renovating the place, but without loosing its peaceful and laidback character. All rooms are being renovated or upgraded, and later a jaccuzzi and relax center built. So welcome to experience a slice of paradise !
Christian
LizTaylor...
Toronto, Canada
“Paradise On Earth!...”
Reviewed July 18, 2012 for a stay in July 2012
person found this review helpful

The setting is so incredibly beautiful here! ~~I'm a Very Seasoned-Traveller....but have honestly Never found a place as Charming & Peaceful as This! I don't even know where to start with this review!! I felt as though I was living in the middle of the most beautiful Tropical Flower Arrangement on Earth!! I had a Mango Tree just outside of my room... and would venture into the jungle to gather fresh Passion Fruit each morning. There are Peacocks, and chickens...and cool geckos everywhere!! I Simply Loved It!! I was travelling alone, and felt Very Safe & Comfortable Here!! (For Two Weeks!!) I Will Be Back!... I need to bring my son to see this place!
Breakfast was Plentiful & Excellent Every Morning!...and Christian (the new owner) was an exceptional Host. Thank You With All My Heart!...For an Amazing Experience!!

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
Visit was for: Leisure
Traveling group: Solo
Your age range 35-49
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Night
Week
Month
Book Now
Or, send the owner a message
This property has Payment Protection
Never pay for your vacation rental by wire transfer.
Learn more about paying safely.
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing