“WOW”

Ka'aloa's Super J's
Ranked #2 of 31 Restaurants in Captain Cook
Cuisines: Hawaiian
Reviewed February 23, 2014

It took us a bit to find Super J's but it was outstanding. Lau-lau was to die for! Glad I did not give up my search for her.

Reviewed January 29, 2014

Simply great food at a really great price. Like many of the reviews before this, it is really a small place that you have to be on the look out for. Between mile markers 107 and 106 on the right side of the road if you are heading from Kailua to Volcano. Really, truly worth the stop. After my first bite of the pork lau lau, I ordered another one. My wife had the cabbage and pork and it too was excellent.

Reviewed January 26, 2014

If you, like me, are a person who likes to sample the authentic foods of an area then this place is a must go. Located well outside the main tourist are of Kailua in the village of Ka'aloa it still draws a crowd of tourists along with the locals to the unassuming pink house. When you enter and are immediately greeted with a big smile and the sight of a collection of family photos and memorabilia, you know that you have found something very real and the food is equally authentic. It's home cooking extraordinarily well done. On the day of our visit the only offering was the pork laulau which is served with lomilomi, mac salad and rice. Everything was excellent. The meltingly done pork was sweet and salty which perfectly balanced the bitterness of the taro leaf wrapper and when taken all together made a perfect bite. The lomilomi was fresh and a nice acidic accompaniment while the mac salad and rice took it over the top. It was a meal to last for most of the day. After such a wonderful lunch, I was curious if Janice made any of the local sweets. As it turned out, she had a few portions of kulolo in the freezer and she warmed one of those for us. Kulolo is a baked pudding of grated taro root, fresh coconut and sugar and something like a steamed pudding in texture. If after trying poi, you thought taro to be barely edible then try it this way. It was delicious! We left Super J's feeling that we had enjoyed a visit with friends and been served a meal fit for a king. One warning, however, when she sells out of laulau the doors close for the day so don't dilly dally in heading her way.

Reviewed January 20, 2014

While it was fun to eat what appears like an authentic Hawaiian meal, I was not thrilled by the food. It's honest local food, likely done well from what I saw, but I won't go again as it was not my taste. The owner is very friendly though, and the views she has from her kitchen windows are amazing.

2  Thank FrederikVan
Reviewed December 10, 2013

First thing you think when you walk in is "Am I in over my head?". It is a VERY VERY strange and small place. One table in the middle with like 6 chairs. The food was good, if you want some small town authentic food this is the place.

1  Thank Dan J