“Great fish sandwich”

Dining options: Breakfast
Captain Cook, Hawaii
“Great fish sandwich”
Reviewed December 16, 2012

My wife and I ate here and had a great fresh fish sandwich for a very reasonable price. The place was clean and the service good. I would recommend this place.

Visited December 2012

Kona
“Fresh and local”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Mahina Cafe opened about a year ago in the location of the old Senor Billy's in Captain Cook, but we only just now got around to trying it. This is just a simple, low-key cafe that delivers a very nice experience. It's owned and operated by a long-time local family who are friendly and efficient and the food is delicious. Nothing fancy, just great cafe food with a local flair.

While we were waiting, a plate of yummy-looking coffee cake slices were delivered to our table. Not your ordinary appetizer, but our server told us she had just brought the cake out of the oven for the next day, and she wanted us to try it. My sweet-toothed husband devoured them in short order and declared them a total success.

All of our menu choices were a hit. Everything tasted very fresh, and the ono in my fish tacos was cooked to perfection.

Hope they get a liquor license soon; I think they'd get more dinner traffic if folks could have a beer or a glass or wine with their meal. For now, I guess dinners are pretty slow still, while breakfast and lunch are their busier times, but I'm sure we'll be back for another dinner before too long!

• Visited November 2012
Green Bay Wisconsin
“Good food, good conversation and malasadas, too!”
Reviewed September 30, 2012

We had wanted to try to Mahina Cafe last year when we were here, but didn't get to it.
I ordered a panini sandwich, and it was delicious. It was a french dip and the sauce for it was delicious.
My husband ordered a loco moco (for those unfamiliar it is a Hawaiian tradition, with a hamburger patty served on rice with gravy over it and an egg on the top of it.) He said it was one of the best he's ever had.
Before the meal they serve a hot malasada complimentary, and it was delicious. These are Portugese donuts, fried bread with a sugar coating and very tasty.
I would definitely recommend you try this place, where everything, including the bread, is homemade.

Visited September 2012
Seattle, Washington
“Good food, nice staff”
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Food here is classic Hawaiian, but with really really fresh local ingredients. Everything is home made, and fresh. They make really good pies and cheesecakes. I ate here for lunch on a day they had dragonfruit cheesecake, and it was amazing. Home made Macadamia nut crust, homemade cheese and local dragonfruit. Might be the best cheesecake I've ever had.

Visited August 2012
Palm Springs, California
“Exactly what we were looking for.....”
Reviewed August 27, 2012

All of our trips, no matter where we go, we try to avoid eating food at the chains where we already live. We like to seek out the locally run establishments, and we found a nice one here. Service was good, not too rushed, and not too slow, but at the same time attentive. Portions were good and we enjoyed the chicken teriyaki and the avocado burger. We felt like we received a deal just north of what we paid for. Well done and we hope this place succeeds!

• Visited August 2012