“My first experience booking a private rental...”
other travelers have booked this property
Patio with private hot tub, outdoor dining, gas-fired BBQ grill and yard
Entry Gate to patio Living area with double futon couch and smart TV, has ocean view
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Inquiry
Excellent
Entry Gate to patio
Living area with double futon couch and smart TV, has ocean view
New Serta Perfect Sleeper queen bed with ocean view
Kitchenette with fridge, two burner hot plate, coffee maker, blender, filtered water
2nd kitchen counter with toaster oven and microwave. Shows door into changing area and bathroom
Smart TV with Netflix, Pandora, cable and DVD player
Patio with gas-fired BBQ, outdoor dining area, private hot tub and outdoor shower
Outdoor shower with hot and cold water, and private hot tub
Chemical-free salt pool with mermaid, waterfall and ocean view
Mermaid at pool
Private yard with ocean view
Carved dolphins at entryway
Dolphin and whale mural in breezeway entrance
Garden path
Buddha in one of the gardens
Red Ginger in gardens
Lobster Claw Heliconia in the gardens
Best snorkeling on the island at Two Step, next to Place of Refuge
Turtle and tangs, snorkeling at Two Step, just 2.5 miles away
Place of Refuge sunset, a sacred historical park, 2.5 miles away
Painted Church interior, 1/4 mi. away
Spinner Dolphins come into the nearby bays to rest and play
Volcano National Park crater plume, 1.5 hour drive from Tropical Hideaway
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

German first
Any
Lloyd_Cle...
Melbourne, Australia
“My first experience booking a private rental rather than a hotel and I wouldn’t go back.”
Reviewed September 28, 2014 for a stay in July 2014
person found this review helpful

When you travel you may just want accommodation to recharge your batteries (both literally and figuratively) but sometimes it’s nice to stay where the accommodation is a destination itself. Tropical Hideaway in Captain Cook on the big island of Hawaii is exactly that. Now with a name like tropical hideaway I know you’d wanna stay there, so what more is there to say?

Well I feel compelled to write about this place because this was my first experience booking a private rental rather than a hotel and I wouldn’t go back. Initially I began searching for a private rental as a cheaper option to an expensive hotel and I quickly found the almost unlimited variety of rentals to be slightly overwhelming. I needed to narrow down my search options. I knew I needed a central location to see all the big island has to offer, within a short drive of Kona because I would be doing multiple days diving from the harbour there.

Captain Cook fit the bill, it is about a 30-40min drive south of Kona and although a lot of the west coast of the big island is dry, deserlet and hot, Captain Cook is within a lush tropical wedge of land that’s managed to escape recent lava flows. It’s also close to the best snorkelling on the island and being south of Kona makes a day trip to the Volcanoes National Park easy.

Finding the tropical hideaway for the first time can be a bit tricky, it really is hidden away, but the owner Kathleen provides very comprehensive directions and a distinctive flag at the entrance to her property to make it easy.

Tropical Hideaway beerTropical Hideaway verandah
Driving up the steep driveway to the hideaway you are completely enveloped in a lush green corridor of tropical foliage that makes this property feel very removed from the nearby road. As the jungle corridor opens up towards the top of the hill, revealed is a landscaped yet informal tropical garden. All kinds of tropical fruits adorn the trees and shrubs. Deliciously ripe mangos, papayas and bananas litter the ground, begging to be eaten.

In fact the tropical garden is so big Kathleen employs a full-time gardener who lives on site to tend to it. KT the gardener was waiting for us as we pulled up in front of the main house. My partner and I were given a warm welcome followed by a tour around the property.

The tropical hideaway itself, as described on Kathleen’s website, is a Hawaiian style studio apartment. It’s fully self-contained with a full-sized fridge and cooking utensils as well as a selection of condiments. It has a super comfy bed and screaming fast WiFi as well as a smart TV with Netflix – a real treat for Australian’s yet to experience the goodness of free streaming TV shows and movies.

Having said that the TV didn’t get much use. The apartments best feature is not the TV or the WiFi, it’s the connection with nature. The apartment is completely open to the air, there is no glass, just screening on 3 of the 4 walls to keep the bugs (and Geckos!) out. That’s something you wouldn’t get in a hotel.

Tropical Hideaway VerandahTropical Hideaway Kitchen
Privacy is not an issue because the lush gardens create a natural screen around the apartment. Out to the west in front of the apartment is a private garden and a view out to the vast North Pacific Ocean. The sea breezes that come through the screen at night are the perfect temperature and I got some of the best sleep I’ve ever had in that apartment. The only thing to be aware of is that the jungle comes alive at night with the calls of geckos and insects. I found it the perfect harmony to sleep to but some people might need ear plugs.

Outside is a veranda looking into the dense jungle – a BBQ area and a private hot-tub, always set to a toasty 100 degrees Fahrenheit. Also outside is the shower, surrounded by bamboo screening – privacy is not an issue. Hot water on demand and views through the garden to the pacific make for a less-routine than usual showering experience!

Tropical Hideaway ShowerTropical Hideaway SpaTropical Hideaway Shower
Wander the property and there are numerous nooks to explore, each full of new surprises and new fruits to eat. There is also a shared pool higher up on the property which has a great view out over the pacific sunsets. It’s made from a converted water tank so it’s well over 3 meters deep, which makes it a fun place to get away from the hot mid-day sun.

Drive a few minutes down Keala O Keawe Road and you find yourself at Honaunau Bay, site of a historic Hawaiian village over 500 years old and a snorkel spot know locally as ‘two step’ – reputedly the best snorkelling spot on the Hawaiian islands and that reputation is not overstated. We arrived on an overcast grey day – the water lapping against the black lava steps from which this site takes its name did not look particularly inviting. But jumping in, the water was crystal clear, teeming with life. Colourful fish, old large mound and lobe corals filled the bay. Honaunau Bay is rich with marine life, and if you spend long enough in the water your likely to see Green Sea Turtles and Hawaiian Spinner Dolphins which frequent the bay. Swimming with a pod of dolphins just as interested in you as you are in them is an indescribable experience.

Back at the Tropical Hideaway in the breeze-way area under the main house is an industrial washer and dryer for you to refresh your clothes from the days adventures and for the next. Kathleen also has snorkels and masks, fins, wetsuits and body boards available for you to use here too. This is also where the fresh fruit collected from the garden will be waiting each morning for your healthy energy boost.

Tropical Hideaway GeckoTropical Hideaway FruitTropical Hideaway Dolphins
The Tropical Hideaway Hawaii was more than I expected. You get so much more from a private rental than you can from even the high-end hotels. The hospitality and small touches from sharing a property with someone who has obviously worked hard for it and loves their lifestyle providing people with this unique experience cannot be replicated by a resort. If you have ever considered renting a private holiday rental take the leap and do it, I wouldn’t go back.

Although I didn’t have time to take up the offer Kathleen also offers more than just the Tropical Hideaway. She is a professional photographer and offers photo tours and private photography lessons. You can also buy the prints and posters that adorn the walls of the Tropical Hideaway. She has been swimming and photographing the dolphins in the area since 1991 – she knows what she is doing. You can take a guided snorkel or dolphin swim with Kathleen, learning from someone who has extensive experience with the area and these amazing marine mammals. Kathleen is also obviously an environmentalist at heart and her respect for nature shines through in every aspect of the property – helping to preserve the big island of Hawaii as a true tropical paradise.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Amazing location and great feel.
Liked least: Nothing! Only that I didn't get more time there.
Your age range 25-34
Families with young children
vrTB
vacaville
“private and well located paradise”
Reviewed August 20, 2014 for a stay in August 2014
person found this review helpful

I’ve enjoyed my stay at your hideaway much more than I expected. I had only planned the trip here to attend a wedding that fell through….. I decided that I hadn’t had a real vacation, with nothing to do and nothing expected of me for longer than I can remember. (if ever???) So I went ahead and came to Hawaii. I scanned the internet for something off the beaten track and your place seemed to fit the bill. At least on paper…. So you can imagine my delight in finding this perfect little nest in paradise when I arrived. I had no idea what I’d need so I threw a ton of stuff in a suitcase and figured I’d buy what ever else I needed when I got there. I could have shown up with the clothes on my back, hopefully a bathing suit underneath and I would have been fine. It’s as if I brought my little house and dropped it down in paradise. The only thing missing were my kitties to sleep with. You made it so easy to find my way around to all the best spots for snorkeling, shopping, sight seeing etc. Instead of spending most of my limited time here, trying to find my way around, my week was spent exploring and enjoying all the wonderful little bits of paradise South Kona has to offer. The little touches on your hideaway, such as the door handle on the screen door, the very comfy bed, the festive accent lighting, all made my stay not only homey and comfortable but special and festive. The perfect combination. Thank you

Overall condition of the property Bedding & mattresses
Kitchen & utensils Bathroom cleanliness
Other facilities & amenities Service
Liked best: the privacy
Liked least: that it took me two days to get to initially.
Traveling group: Solo
Your age range 50-64
Yucca Valley
Reviewed January 23, 2014 for a stay in December 2013

Check in / front desk Service
Would I recommend this vacation rental to my best friend?
A romantic getaway Older travelers
Berkeley CA
Reviewed December 19, 2013 for a stay in November 2013

Recommended for:
A romantic getaway People with disabilities
Older travelers Rugged travelers
harvard
Reviewed October 31, 2013 for a stay in October 2013
people found this review helpful

Check in / front desk Service
Would I recommend this vacation rental to my best friend?
catsongs
BWI
“Paradise!”
Reviewed July 11, 2013 for a stay in June 2013
person found this review helpful

If you're a five-star Ritzy hotel kinda person, this isn't for you. But if you're something of a traveler, something of an adventurer, someone who likes something a little different, this is paradise! We loved being south of Kailua-Kona, away from that scene. As snorkelers, we loved being close to Captain Cook and Two Step. As folks who cook for themselves, we appreciated the cooking facilities. Kathy is a wonderful, privacy-granting host. In addition to the "open air" architecture, we enjoyed the hot tub and pool, as well as the piles of mangoes ready for eating. Wi-fi was great. Beautiful garden. We'll be going back!

Liked best: Location and privacy
Liked least: Can't think of anything!
Paulina N
Vancouver, Canada
“Tropical Hideaway is Tropical Paradise”
Reviewed April 21, 2013 for a stay in March 2013
person found this review helpful

Tropical Hideaway is exquisite! Our 3-1/2-week stay in this charming and tastefully decorated studio was perfect - from the peaceful sound of the breeze in the palm fronds during the night, the songs of the birds each morning, the warm air wafting through the screens, the sunsets, the glow of the full moon spilling into the studio and over the garden, the fragrance of the jasmine outside, the lush foliage all around, the allspice tree to sit under... to the snorkeling a few moments away, oceanside sunsets or simply watching them from the studio, the nearby Peace Gardens (outstanding!) and Painted Church, farmer's markets, roadside fruit stands, exploring the island... heavenly.
The owner, Kathleen, is a lovely spirit who was always responsive to any questions or requests we had, and made us feel totally welcome. The studio was cosy and comfortable and provided all of the amenities described. We enjoyed the outdoor grill for the fresh-caught ono we bought at the farmer's market, and loved the outdoor shower! The other residents of the property, KT and Phil, enhanced our visit with their warmth, and our privacy was always totally respected by everyone.
Thank you, Kathleen, for creating such a peaceful haven - it's not a matter of "if" we come back - it's only a matter of "when"!

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Peaceful, very beautiful setting.
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing