“Yummy BBQ!”

Big Jakes Island B-B-Q
Ranked #5 of 33 Restaurants in Captain Cook
Cuisines: American
Reviewed April 3, 2014

We stopped at Jake's based on the recommendation of our condo owner. We had just snorkeled Cook's monument and were hungry as we drove up 111. We got pulled chicken, coleslaw, and beans. The BBQ sauce had an excellent flavor - spicy and sweet, just right. The coleslaw was very good and even had little yellow raisins (or currants?). The beans had a delicious smoky flavor and looked like it may have had a little red bell pepper in it.

Amy & I were told the TV series "The Road Show" visited them the week before and Jake's was going to be on National TV!

da Poke Shack is going to open an outlet immediately next to Jake's. Then, you can have your poke and eat your BBQ too! No seating available here. It is all take out.

Reviewed March 10, 2014

This is not only the best BBQ on the island it is the best BBQ I have ever tasted and I consider myself a BBQ junkie. Lets start with the beans. Yes the beans are so good you will slap your mama. You will go back and slap her again after tasting the pulled pork. We will leave your mama alone as she as suffered enough. The ribs were moist, with a dry rub plus the best BBQ sauce EVER..the right mix of sweet and caliente, that said the brisket is the reason to leave the main island. IT IS WHAT I DREAM ABOUT AT NIGHT. IT IS PERFECTION!! Make sure not to miss dessert. He was out of the cobbler. Hesitantly, I ordered the bread pudding at Big Jakes suggestion. I am a bread pudding snob. It was life changing. Do not miss this experience. You will hate yourself in the morning

The Wisconsinites

2  Thank Teresa R
Reviewed March 7, 2014 via mobile

This is our 3rd year to visit the big island and Big Jake's is one of our favorite spots. The BBQ ribs are cooked perfectly and the pulled pork is one of the best we have had. Come hungry!

Reviewed March 5, 2014

The food was excellent. The pork, beans, coleslaw were tasty and properly done. I appears it is all made inhouse. It is a BBQ shack, order from the window and sit out back on the picnic tables. You sit with gecko's and the odd chicken walking by. We found it hard to find, look for mile marker 106. Can be closed at odd times, best to call before you drive.

Reviewed February 23, 2014

If you want an authentic Hawaiian barbecue, this is the place to go. No frills or fuss, just good food! I had the pulled pork sandwich. It was smokey, moist with just the right amount of sauce. Perfection. My husband had the pork butt plate and, Ditto for him. We wanted the mango-berry cobbler for dessert but, alas, they ran out. We had the coconut bread pudding instead. YUMM. We will eat here again before we leave.

1  Thank MJChurch_13