“Secluded, in the clouds, actually overlooking heaven”
Review of Aloha Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Captain Cook
Aloha Guest House
Ranked #2 of 15 Captain Cook B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Georgia
“Secluded, in the clouds, actually overlooking heaven”
Reviewed August 16, 2009

Great place to stay!! Kind of hard to find... the treck (over a mile) up the BUMPY (4x4 reccomended) driveway was a little annoying, but once to the top, completely worth it!! Pleasant exterior, the rooms were beautiful! The one my husband and I stayed in had a very unique and beautiful shower, and connected to a screened in poarch. I think our favorite part of the stay was waking up to a view of the ocean from so high up.

Breakfast was amazing... Johann (inn keeper) was an amazing chef. Coffee was definately worth talking about! Kona coffee gives Starbucks a run for its money!

For a real ALOHA experience... visit this Guest house!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed July 27, 2009

We went to Hawaii and stayed at 3 hotels (different islands) and in this B&B and by far, this was our favorite lodging!

The spirit in the house is very positive, you feel a good vibration in here. First, the house is environmentally friendly; it is neat; the decoration of the bedrooms as well as the common areas is very pretty; there are several areas to lounge, namely a jacuzzi that you can use any time (as long as you cover it when you're done); breakfast is delicious and is prepared by the hosts. We spend more time with Greg. He sits for breakfast with everyone and you can either discuss with him your plan of the day; or discuss anything about the island, he will give you nice tips, or just listen to one of his (probably thousands) interesting stories.
The house is very isolated in the middle of coffee farms and fruit trees so you fell really peaceful with the silence surrounding you.

I would characterize this house as peaceful and relaxing.

Then they have a lot of things that you can just borrow like snorkeling gear; boogie boards; flashlights to the volcano; even sunscreen or body lotion! (It's not one of those places that are always trying to sell you everything, you just borrow).

I guess the only thing "bad" is the road to get to this house. I guess if you are not counting on it it can be a problem. We rented a 4WD, I think in the Big Island you're going to need it at several places and to get to this house is one of them. So for us this was not a problem. I did see other guests there with regular cars, but I'm sure it was a pain to get there.
But, if you want to go to Makalawena beach, or drive around at the volcano, you do need a 4WD so just get one :)

Loved it and I want to go back and stay more time!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mia2005
Louisiana
Reviewed July 27, 2009

When I first saw my room, I couldn't believe the gorgeous view. The room was so tastefully decorated. Fluffy towels and beach towels were provided.
There was plenty of space to spread out and relax on the lanai and in the sitting room upstairs.
Breakfast each day was a delight: filling, eclectic and delicious.
The grounds are covered with pretty flowers and plants.
The road in is a farm road with one mile of bumps. If you have a 2WD vehicle, take it slowly. The first trip was a little daunting, but once we knew the way it was no problem. You go right by coffee plantations and can see wild pigs, turkeys, and a variety of chickens along with many beautiful flowers and trees.
There is no air conditioning, so midsummer nights might be a bit warm for some people.
The rooms are open to the air, which somewhat limits privacy.
The guest house is located near some excellent snorkeling.
Snorkel masks and fins are available for guest use. You can rent kayaks.
I loved it here.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Tirol
Reviewed July 14, 2009

We stayed at the Aloha Guest House for 6 nights and enjoyed every day of it. We participated in the lottery, where you do not know which room you will get, but you only pay $ 99,-- for it. We got the Honu Room and it was very spacious and perfectly clean. The rooms and interiours mirrored the outstanding work experience of Johann and Greg, our hosts, who have worked in the tourism idustry for many years. So there wasn't anything missing, which could be handy on a holiday stay. Breakfasts in the morning were different every day and always very tasty. As you have breakfast together with all the other guests, it is the perfect opportunity to exchange travel experiences.The only thing which was a little disturbing at the beginning was the steep and pumpy gravel road, that leads to the Guesthouse. But in the end we loved even this, because you could see lots of wildlife (turkeys, pigs and many kinds of birds) on the way. The secluded location of the Guesthouse made it a very quiet hideaway, where the only thing you could hear were the sounds of the night.

Winnipeg
Reviewed July 10, 2009

Never judge a B&B by the road that leads up to it, and I mean, literally up to it.

The road towards the place beginning from when you leave the highway is almost amusing, seemingly precarious (especially if you are checking in late at night), and paved, then unpaved, and then it got down to downright rugged and bumpy. Oh yeah, your sedan can negotiate this but I felt so sure with the 4X4.

Aloha Guesthouse is amazing! It felt that you got a just reward for the 'aggravation' of going up the hill. For starters, the main area is large and roomy and provides an inspiring panoramic view of the distant ocean and the valley below.

The place is situated in a hill and there is a jacuzzi situated in the garden overlooking the valley and providing a perfect spot of the sunset (if not obscured by the clouds).

There are seating areas that are well-defined: there is the HD television in the lounge area complete with HD cable service and DVD player complemented by a large library of DVD movies, the dining room area, and a seating area where you can simply prepare your own fresh cup of coffee from a high-end espresso machine available 24x7, put your feet up the table, grab the binocular to scan the horizon, and enjoy your latte or capuccino or coffee.

We were lucky enough to be able to book the big room that had its own kitchen and a bedroom door that opens up to the lanai.

Johann and Greg are a great hosts, each serving their own brand of fantastic breakfasts, make that organic breakfasts. The open setting of the B&B brings in air of relaxed atmosphere that breaking ice with the other guests comes naturally and spontaneously. I thoroughly enjoyed the stories and the laughter in the breakfast table. It sets the mood for the rest of the day.

Just behind the house, is a little elevation that opens up more space for, say a game of rugby or something tamer like badminton, perhaps.This B&B pretty much sets the standard for me.

1 Thank GCEL
San Diego, CA
Reviewed July 7, 2009

Thank you trip advisor!!! It took me weeks to narrow down a good choice for a B&B on the big island. I searched at least 100 times trying to pick the perfect place and Aloha Guesthouse was definitely it!!! My boyfriend and I stayed here for 4 nights and loved every minute of it. The host Greg was a delight to talk with, quite the Renaissance man. The breakfasts were incredible (waffles w/ strawberries and hand whipped cream, quiche and papaya, blueberry pancakes, yummy!). The grounds are beautiful, nestled up in the coffee farms, far from the busy highway. The accomodations were wonderful, comfy beds, nice TV/DVD (tons of movies to choose from-one afternoon I was feeling a little sick from my sunburn, so I relaxed with a movie in my room), GREAT SHOWER, I never wanted to leave it!
There are truely no con's to this B&B. One challenge is the road leading up to the B&B. It is a bit bumpy and at times feels like it never ends, but I promise you it's worth it. We had a 4 door sedan and were fine coming up and down the hill. Other guests had Jeeps and they seemed to get up there easier then we did, but a 4x4 is not a must.
I would recommend AGH for anyone looking for relaxation, I probably wouldn't recommend it for people with small children. We will definately stay here if we return to the island and will recommend it to all our friends.

MIDWEST USA
Reviewed June 19, 2009

Our only regret is that we didn't stay long enough.
Our host - JOHANN - was very pleasant, knowledgeable, and a great cook.
The social time around the breakfast table gave all of the guests a time to reflect and share our adventures.
Johann joined in when time permitted, then excused himself. I knew that he had wished he could spend more time with everyone. However, we needed to remind ourselves that while we're on vacation, he has a business to focas on and run!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Captain Cook
Ka'awa Loa Plantation
#1 of 15 in Captain Cook
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii
Mauna Lani Bay Hotel & Bungalows

Been to Aloha Guest House? Share your experiences!