“Good dinner and show but a little long for me”

Bar J Chuckwagon Suppers
Ranked #1 of 15 Restaurants in Wilson
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Originated on a working cattle ranch, the Bar J Chuckwagon takes you back to the spirit of the old west with a relaxing atmosphere, rib stickin' meal and authentic cowboy entertainment. The Bar J Wranglers will entertain the entire family as they take you down memory trail with songs, stories, comedy, yodeling, fiddling and more! Experience an evening you'll never forget at the Bar J Chuckwagon. The gates open at 5:30pm and the dinner bell rings promptly at 7:00pm. For the best seats come early. Visit our western village where gift shops await, take a horse-drawn wagon ride through scenic attractions, sample Dutch oven biscuits, enjoy refreshments from our Waterin' Hole, and chat with the Wranglers! With a seating capacity of 750 people, it may surprise many to know that we serve all our guests in less than 25 minutes. We can easily handle tour groups or convention parties with true western hospitality.
Reviewed July 20, 2014

I have mixed feeling about this place. The food is fine, portions are large. They are very organized and they do feed a lot of people very quickly. Get there early for a good table. I guess we were not early enough, we were placed one table from the back, my son and I couldn't see much of the show from back there, the people in front of us were very tall.

The show is well done and these guys can sing, but cowboy music is not for me. I kinda of already knew this going in but my husband really wanted to go, so we went.

The show lasts about two hours, people with small children left early. I feel it would have been difficult to get a small child thru the serving line.

They give you a pretty hard sell for cd's and DVD's, which gets old fast. Having said all that, everyone around us seemed to be having a great time, so if you enjoy this type of music you will be fine.

The staff was very friendly, and I thought the pricing was fine given the area we were in.

1  Thank famllylovestotravel

Reviewed July 19, 2014

The Good: Let's start with the punch line. You will totally get your money's worth. This was the icing on the cake to our vacation.

The dinner show is excellent. You should not leave Wyoming without visiting this family run venue.

Tip: Get there early and find a seat facing the stage in your assigned table

Drinks and snacks are available for purchase before dinner. Free biscuits and honey outside before dinner. A nice touch!

The bad: if you get there early as recommended, be prepared to wait a long while before dinner is served without much entertainment or anything else going on. We arrived at 5:30 pm as recommended and dinner did not start until 7:00 pm as scheduled. We basically sat at our table for an hour with other guests and played with our phones and cameras. The kids where going wild and growing restless. But it is a small price to pay for what comes next.

The ugly: No alcoholic beverages are sold. Draft beer would be nice. Food is average at best (too much BBQ sauce), but they still earn a full five stars.

Bottom line: Great deal, great entertainment, nice people, just a pleasure.

3  Thank TheWoldIsNotEnough
Reviewed July 15, 2014

Lots of fun and a hearty cowboy dinner. The show was well worth the money and my 11 year old son enjoyed himself.

1  Thank Ryan L
Reviewed July 15, 2014 via mobile

We went to the Bar J on a Saturday night with friends as well as 2 of our kuds. We had a great time and the food was delicious. We got the combo which was beef and chicken and it was fork tender. It is all you can eat- go up as many times as you like until food is gone. If you want good seats for the show plan on getting there in line around 4-4:30. They open up at 5:30, once you get tickets go in dining hall and save your seats at assigned table. Then you can wander around the shop and have a cold drink from the drinking hole ( no alcohol). I would recommend ages 8 and up, my 5 year old would not have sat for the waiting and the show.

1  Thank Feffer75
Reviewed July 14, 2014

A great balance of hospitality, genuine western friendliness, good food, clean humor and western/cowboy music that we love. We always look forward to going here whenever we are in the area. We were lucky this time because Babe Humphrey was in the show. He started the Bar J many years ago, but these days he only performs with his sons and the other wranglers on some nights. We first saw Babe perform in July 1980, and after this show, I was lucky enough to shake his hand and tell him that we remembered him from that 1980 show, and that we would never forget it, We have seen the show several times since, but missed seeing him on the night we went last year.

1  Thank BigTXN