“Horrible place to stay!”
Review of Coachman Inn Motel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Thermopolis
Coachman Inn Motel
Ranked #2 of 2 Thermopolis B&B and Inns
Rapid City, South Dakota
“Horrible place to stay!”
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Overall the rooms were filthy and the service was terrible. The breakfast that is promised with your stay is nowhere to be found even after repeatedly inquiring about it and showing up at the appropriate time everyday. The bedding and towels were stained and dingy, the curtain on the window wouldn't close all the way and the floor left our socks black with dirt. If you need new towels you will have better luck searching them out yourself over asking one of the staff members. Can't think of anything nice to say about our stay at the Coachman Inn.

Room Tip: Avoid staying here!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Dani G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Reviewed February 16, 2013

I'll start with the only nice thing... Our dogs stayed for free.
In an attempt to keep this somewhat short and readable I'm just going to make a numerical list of all our disappointments.
1. Upon check-in, we were told the room we reserved had been given away. We called to reserve the room almost 2 months in advance and called 2 weeks prior to arriving to confirm. (We were meeting family for a long weekend stay and wanted to share one of the large suites that were offered.) They gave us 2 separate rooms for the same rate, but then asked us what rate we had been quoted?
2. The vinyl flooring is filthy! (As in turn your socks black after a few steps... And God forbid something roll under the bed! You are better off leaving it under there, as you may lose a hand upon retrieval)
3. The beds are all springs in your back, the pillows are flat and the bedding was borderline unacceptable. I think it was clean but it was very well worn and mis-matched.
4. The bathroom towels were much the same. And one of the hand towels had large dark stains.
5. There are no coffee pots in the rooms!
6. The heater in our room did not work so there was an electric, portable fireplace. It had to run 24-7 on high to 'kinda' keep our room warm.
7. The 'help' was NOT helpful and rude. We stayed 4 nights and not once did they come in to pick up towels or provide new ones. After the second night I went to the office and requested towels. They brought a new floor towel. I went back to the office and asked for BATH towels. They didn't have any clean and had me follow them to an empty room and gave me 2. (We are a family of 3 and 1 of the towels was a hand towel. At this point I just gave up.)
8. THEY DON'T SERVE BREAKFAST!!!! After arriving in their little dining room on our first morning and finding it empty and dark, I called. It went to VM. Later in the day I asked if they still serve breakfast. I was told, "Yeah, sure." I asked what time. The answer? "I don't know?" The owner cut in at this time and said breakfast was at 7 and that 'He would take good care of us.' No breakfast the next day or the day after that, etc. We inquired about it every afternoon and were always told it was/will be at 7.
I don't care if you don't serve breakfast any more, but don't lie to me!
9.The shower water goes from hot to cold and back many times during a 10 minute shower. (making it difficult to shave ones legs)
10. There is no Wifi!

I'll just stop now. I strongly recommend seeking lodging elsewhere. The whole stay was a joke and we only stayed because we paid in full upon arrival.

• Stayed February 2013
7 Thank coeurdalenegirl

Travelers are raving about these Thermopolis hotels

miami
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Great Spot! The family that owns the place is great- been there 4 times- and will always go back. They are super helpful and always willing to help out. I can not wait to go back. Great snow storm made everything beautiful and the fact that they are friendly to hunters make it awesome. Thank you again!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Wyoming, Michigan
Reviewed August 30, 2012

My wife,myself and our granddaughter stayed 1 night on the 2nd of August 2012. We found it very clean, really friendly and had a wonderful comp. breakfast in the morning. Great place to stay and the price was reasonable also.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Scotland
Reviewed August 23, 2012

We stopped here for one night while on our way to Yellowstone. The girl at the front desk was very friendly and helpful and showed us the rooms available, the guy who was around was also friendly. The girl told us breakfast was hot (we had seen this in an advert with 'hot breakfast and fast internet' ) and we would get waffles, biscuits and gravy and eggs. I have just read the other reviews and when we arrived at 8a.m. there was only biscuits and gravy, eggs all gone, the guy around was on the phone, the cereal was finished and so were the bowls, so we had to ask for both, he did not mention or offer eggs in any form, very disappointing as we are Brits and not into biscuits and gravy, though I did enjoy a hot biscuit with butter. The internet was also not as advertised as it was also intermittent as a previous review stated. The rooms were adequate for the money with fridge and microwave but the aircon is very dated. In all we have had much better value in other places for the money so were disappointed here and I wonder if we were just unlucky when I read the other reviews.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Hunda
Denver, Iowa
Reviewed August 4, 2012

This was a nice place to stay. It was a little dated but very clean! The owner was outstanding! He did a lot of little extra things to make our stay pleasant. You can tell he is putting time and effort into his business. It is a good value for the price.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Mark R
Madison, WI
Reviewed July 17, 2012

The beds are comfortable, the breakfast is hot and delicious, and the coffee is good! There is no such thing as fancy in Thermopolis, but the beds here are the most comfortable I have ever slept in, in a hotel. Front desk staff are all super friendly, and I will not stay at any other hotel in Thermopolis, ever again. It is just a very nice place to stay.

Room Tip: They have a wide variety of rooms, including one that has 4 queen beds and a set of twin bunks. All...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family