“Overall a good experience”

Best Western Plus Plaza Hotel
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Thermopolis
Reviewed January 8, 2012

This was our first time staying in Thermopolis and we enjoyed our stay. We found the staff to be friendly and helpful. The hotel does not have interior hallways; you must go outside to go from your room to the lobby. We found this to be a little inconvienent. Our first night there, we found the hotel to be quiet and peaceful. The second night, we had people in the room next to us and we could hear them.

Room Tip: We had a corner room and liked the natural light.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank bullette2010

Reviewed January 5, 2012

We've now stayed in Thermopolis six times, five times at this hotel. We love the convenience of and sheer pleasure from the hot mineral spring hot tub just steps from your room.

My five stars are for the comfort of the rooms, the location of the hotel (in the park, blocks from your choice of hot springs and other activities), and the hot tub. Service seemed improved from previous visits, but I do agree that none of the staff would meet the cut at a hotel in a larger town. They are not terribly service oriented, or amiable, with the exception of one of the housekeepers who was very friendly. The front desk guy was significantly nicer than the women who had been at the desk in previous visits.

Regarding the rooms, especially if you stay in the winter, you may need additional blankets. The windows let in a lot of cold which you will notice as soon as you raise the shades. Some members of our party were comfortable with the single blanket but others needed the warmth from our own that we had in our gear. Adding down comforters to the rooms would be a marvelous addition! The sofa beds are relatively comfortable, certainly better than many. Do pay attention to shutting your door quietly, for the benefit of all guests.

Make your own coffee. Breakfast as a whole is better than most. The walk to town for breakfast (Black Bear Cafe is awesome!) would be about 10-15 minutes for medium speed walkers. It's a pleasant walk over and along the river.

Our most recent stay was just after Christmas. Many restaurants were closed in the off season/week and sadly a couple we wished to return to had been shut for good. So, plan accordingly. We went to Las Fuentes and enjoyed our meals, the Black Bear is great for lunch or breakfast. Pumpernick's has just changed hands and we didn't try it this trip. There is a Chinese buffet that looked fresh and tempting but we didn't have the opportunity to eat there. The Storyteller bookstore serves tasty hot and cold espresso drinks and others and is a cozy place to hang out with the locals. The Natural foods store next store sells a little bit of everything and is also a great place for lunch or a smoothie. We just discovered their delicious and large salads. Very friendly, and they sell some good chocolates near the front counter. Visit Thermopolis! The hot pools are lovely and the surrounding area is a beautiful part of Wyoming.

Room Tip: The suites are a great value. The outdoor stairs make for a cold trip to your room after the winter...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank P-and-J-Travel
Reviewed December 30, 2011

The staff at this hotel were unpersonable and very difficult to work with. I've never written a bad review before this, but I felt people should be warned. I called in my reservation and when I showed up, they mixed up the dates of my travel, and said I was supposed to have arrived days earlier. Consequently, I ended up not in the room I wanted, not to mention the receptionists never smiled and treated me as if I had done something terribly wrong. Then to make matters worse, they double charged me for "not" showing up on the day they had in their records. I told them I could not have messed up the dates b/c it was right around my birthday and I knew I would not be traveling on that date. They said it was my mistake and they would not refund my money. I've never been to a business that was so unwilling to make the customer happy and fix their own mistake. I will never go to that town or hotel again.

• Stayed: August 2011
2  Thank TeacherNtraveler
Reviewed November 30, 2011

Do NOT stay here. The previous poor reviews are all true. We did not read the reviews prior to booking a reservation for a cross country trip. Were moving to Oregon and decided to stay in thremopolis for the hot springs. That is the only thing good about this town. The hotel staff is NOT accomodating nor is the management. We could not park our boat railer in the parking lot as it was narrow and at the time of the night we checked in , did not have enoughnroom. The front desk told us to park in the back gravel lot which was narrow and unlit. We did not feel this was safe and requested a refund which they would not oblige. Save your money and go to another town. If you must stay here then camp or stay at the Days Inn which is no gem either but at least they are accomodating and have better facilities. They also have an adequate parking lot for large vehicles with a boat trailer. Once again do NOT stay here it is not worth the money.

• Stayed: November 2011
Reviewed November 19, 2011

We sure do like this place. The rooms are EXCELLENT with the pine furniture and spacious floorplans. They have a pool and piped-in natural hot spring water for their hot-hot pool. This place is family friendly and biker friendly so you won't go wrong. No restaurant of bar, but you don't need them because the Days Inn right across the street and has both. But the Plaza does have a hot breakfast in the morning. That beats having to get up and go some where because Days Inn doesn't do breakfast - unless you want cold cereal and a danish. No, thanks. The Plaza is the BEST hotel in Thermopolis as far as we're concerned and we go there a lot. Used to stay at the Days Inn when it was the Holiday Inn, had full service, a full service restaurant and worth the money. But it isn't any more. Stay at the Plaza. You won't get better than that in Thermop.

Room Tip: Every room is good.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Boykid
Reviewed November 6, 2011

We love the Plaza Hotel. We have been coming to Thermopolis every summer for the past four years, and we only stay at the Plaza. The beds are comfortable, each room has had everything we need, the internet worked just fine, and the breakfast was included in the price.

For those who are bothered by the smell, this is a natural smell from the mineral hot springs. It can take a little bit to get used to, but by no means is this a situation created by the hotel. Their location is fantastci - within walking distance to the mineral hot springs pools and the park is directly across the street.

Although breakfast is included, this would be the one negative I see at the hotel. The options are pretty basic and very high in carbs. Not sure if they could offer something better for the same price, but it does get old after the first day.

All in all, we love the Plaza and plan to continue to visit each summer.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank georgisdsu
Reviewed October 22, 2011

We stayed here on Oct 5, 2011 on our way to Yellowstone-Old Faithful Inn. This hotel in Thermopolis is a neat, clean, comfortable and reasonable hotel in the Best Western Brand of Hotels. i would highly recommend it. We with our exteneded family and a nice 3 rooms suite area. Our room had the living room and separate bedroom *(king) and nice bathroom. The other family had 2 queen beds. All beds were very comfortable and provided a nice sleep. Just up the road (within waling distance really) was the town pool. It is fed by the Hot Springs and that was a fun place for the grandchildren. The hotel had a hot tub fed by the hot springs, but we did not use that due to the time we got to the hotel. Enjoy this great place!

Room Tip: If traveling with more people as for rooms together in the suites.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family