“The Soul of Jackson Hole”
Review of The Hostel

The Hostel
Reviewed February 6, 2013

We just finished our 22nd visit to Jackson Hole, my one regret is that I only discovered the Hostel 12 years ago. It feels like family when you arrive including greetings from the Hostel mascot, Yowler, a 20 year old orange tabby cat. The staff is friendly, the rooms are clean with private baths. Spartan is the decor but let's keep in mind this is a budget property in the midst of splendor. For family and singles alike this is one comfortable lodge. Giant game room served us well for breakfast and the occasional dinner. The staff was quick to respond to ANY needs, even to wax your skiis (for a small fee of course). The Hostel is a walk up / ski in property and can't be beat. It captures the soul of Jackson Hole and we hope to enjoy its hospitality for years to come. This lodge opened at the very beginning of Jackson Hole's ski life. It continues to serve valuably. While there was a recent transition from the original Wilson family, Greg and staff have made this a seamless transition maintaining all the warmth and vitality of a classic ski lodge.

Thanks to Greg, Rob, Wendy, and all the staff, keep up the good work. You are the BEST.

Room Tip: Pet friendly first and second floors. Higher floors are less noisy.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Deborah S

Reviewed January 20, 2013

The Hostel is definitely not fancy or posh. It is, however, functional friendly and the best price lodging in Teton Village. I stayed for 2 nights during my camp this week. The bed was comfortable, the staff was friendly and the room was functional. I recommend it. There are refrigerators to store food and also laundry.

Room Tip: I was in a king room with it's own bathroom. It was perfect for me. If I stayed with a bunch o...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed November 1, 2012

OK so on a budget we booked here as it was cheapest place we could find near Teton. Firstly, their dog bit me. And I mean FULL ON bit me. The guy in reception then said it was just a nip but I know the difference. I have 3 very large dogs at home and this was an attack on the back of my leg. Not saying they shouldn't have their dog there but it was roaming free in the lobby and was the first to greet you when you walked in the door. All I could think was what if it was a child?!
Secondly, 2 of 3 lights in our room didn't work so we relied on the bathroom light.
Thirdly, there's a communal fridge in the kitchen but no stove or oven so you can't cook. Luckily we just had picnic food to store.
Fourthly, we had to off-road about 8 miles to get here! Fine of course and maybe we should have done our research but I am just making you all aware of this little glitch.
On the plus side.... It was clean, the bed was HUGE, the communal area and games was cool and there was fresh coffee in the morning (though you did have to pay for it and extra if you used a paper cup rather than brought your own mug). All in all it was OK but I won't be going back in a hurry.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Bexen
Reviewed October 30, 2012

My girl and I stayed at The Hostel Oct. 20, 21 and 22, 2012. We found the room to be clean and pleasant, with the right amount of outlets to keep us all charged up. The bathroom was clean. The shower was new, had a fine showerhead, and plenty of hot water. The staff was friendly and helpful - there was an extra mattress in our room that was removed IMMEDIATELY after our request. The walk up three flights to the fourth floor (pentouse floor!) was no problem for us and we are 62 and 58 years old. We didn't get a chance to play ping pong or pool in the entertainment room, but it certainly looked inviting. Bare bones - yes. Perfectly accomodating for us, YES!

Michael Blonder

Room Tip: The fourth (top) floor certainly had no noise issues from guests above. We were there in the 'of...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Greg, the manager, allowed someone to smoke outside of our room and was extremely defensive when we asked him if they could find another place to smoke. The ventilation system sucks the air from the outside and through the bathroom. He said it is European type hostel and European's smoke, so we should just book a room someplace else or deal with the smoke. There are even coffee cans lining the outside hallways for smoking. I cannot breath smoke and there was absolutely nothing I could do at 1 am to avoid it.

True, it is a very rustic hostel, but not a hostel price. My friends were not impressed.

Room Tip: All rooms are the same. Jackson is only 5 minutes away, just get a nice room there for less $. Thi...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank adventuretravelor
Reviewed September 25, 2012

We've never stayed at a hostel before this vacation and don't plan on doing it again. The Hostel in Teton Village (just outside Jackson Hole) must be 100 years old...at least it sounded that way. Every board in the floors on every level creaked, moaned and groaned. Fortunately we had our own small bathroom. Our neighbors next door and above us were very loud. Someone had a barking dog in their room. My husband and I could barely sleep and couldn't wait to leave the next day. We felt we had no choice but to stay here as Jackson Hole had no vacancies due to an art exhibit or festival. NEVER AGAIN $100+ could have been spent better on a very good meal and then we could have just taken our chances on sleeping in our minivan!

Room Tip: I don't know if there are any rooms any better than ours on the 2nd floor.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 17, 2012

This "Hostel" is misleading in it's name, there are no common amenities like a kitchen - this accommodation is more like a fraternity, where wealthy intoxicated kids go to feel like they are roughing it. Totally not suitable for a family as we were told on the phone when booking. Loud, tiny, tiny rooms although clean were rustic at best. When I requested to cancel with a refund the man that dealt with me was rude and aggressive despite the fact that my seven year old child was standing by my side. I had to let him know that I would write a review here on tripadvisor in order for him to acknowledge my concerns. Why not be honest on the phone if you are asked about "family environment" - why set people up for a bad experience. I wish my smart phone had some connection so I could of read the other reviews here before I booked on a landline.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
#23 of 40 in Jackson
Alpenhof Lodge
Alpenhof Lodge
#5 of 7 in Teton Village

Been to The Hostel? Share your experiences!