“Great burgers, great location”
Review of The Handle Bar

The Handle Bar
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Transit: Diners may take the START bus to arrive in Teton Village.
Atlanta, Georgia
“Great burgers, great location”
Reviewed April 6, 2013 via mobile

Really liked this place! The burgers are great - we ate lunch here twice during our visit because we liked it so much. Pricey but seriously, it's a ski resort. Of course it is.

• Visited April 2013

Jackson, Wyoming
“How can Four Seasons get it so wrong?”
Reviewed March 30, 2013

We have skied in JH at Teton Village for about 20 days a year for the last 8 years. We have always loved having lunch at the Four Seasons. Imagine my horror this year when we find the new Handle Bar in place of the Peak. I will say that the new bar that opens to the outside is a good idea, however the interior looks so tacky and nothing remotely approaching what you would expect from the Four Seasons. In all previous years staff have been attentive and the service great. This year on our one and believe me it will be the only visit the service was slow and the staff just didn't have that attentiveness that we had come to enjoy. If you want a good lunch in Teton Village go to Osteria or Spur but avoid this place.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great Place for Lunch or Dinner”
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Enjoyed having this place on sight while staying in Jackson. Was a good place to either get a bite and beer midday skiing, a beer after skiing, or dinner (we experienced it for all three). The place is packed during the day, and is admittedly tough to get service if you come during lunch hour on a busy ski day, but found it cleared out nicely in the evening and really we had a wonderful, laid back dinner there. Love the bar bites to graze on after you work up an appetite skiing, and the beer flights are a nice way to get accustomed to the local offerings. Also can't beat a beer being served in a boot. Service wasn't great, but wasn't bad either - what you would expect from a bar style restaurant. All in all enjoyed the place, good food, good atmosphere, would definitely suggest adding to your dining options while staying inTeton Village.

Driggs, Idaho
“Long Time Wait / Slow Service / Better than Average Food”
Reviewed March 9, 2013

We visited the Handle Bar today for lunch on a slow ski day (slow b/c the conditions were not the best) but it was a nice day so I'd say a good number of people were out.

This was the first time we did not have a visible wait for seating, but we were still told it would be 30 minutes. No one was seated before us.

The general atmosphere of the restaurant is very appealing. You can tell that a lot of thought was put into it and it has the feeling of an English hunting lodge... a lot of plaid and wood w/taxidermied animals in the waiting area such as a wolverine and a pine marten I believe (be warned if that kind of stuff bothers you but this is Wyoming). The placemats are decorated and written with a fun vibe, but it gets lost in the general attitude of the restaurant itself though which is unfortunate. They have a garage door that opens up by the bar so on a nice day, half of the bar crowd can sit outside too. However, for those inside, and not in the sun, it can mean a cold breeze flowing over you. It’s cold neither enough to be somewhat uncomfortable, but not so much to put your coat back on b/c it would be too warm. That didn't bother me but its something to consider.
We were not part of the bar crowd, and sat in a booth. I find the fact that you could close out your booth with curtains a little odd. I have seen this in DC when people wanted privacy during their conversations, but when you are backed up to another booth by only your seats that hit below your shoulders, it seemed a little pointless. I guess it was only for aesthetic purposes perhaps?

As we were getting sat, another man ran up to our hostess and told her that his question wasn’t answered.. he seemed very flustered and demanded to see the Manager. That wasn’t a pleasant start as we had to stand behind her while this interaction was going on. That wasn’t her fault but really? I guess a "typical" Four Seasons customer (which we are not) demand the best and whatever was going on wasn’t up to his standards and had to be addressed immediately, even to the inconvenience of other customers. Probably one reason of a few that this wouldn’t be my top choice for lunch again.

When we were sat, I brushed all the food and crumbs off our booth seats (a lot) while my hostess waited patiently behind me to finish but offered no help. We immediately received our water which was important. Everyone that skis gets especially dehydrated. We were able to place our order pretty quickly with our drinks. We were informed that kids meals (a mac and cheese would come out first and I was happy to hear this as the little guy was hungry). And as we waited another 10 minutes for our drinks, we were grateful to at least get water. I’m not sure if the early man that I mentioned was complaining about the time it took for his food delivery, but he received it 10 minutes later. I’m guessing as we continued to wait for our food for another 35 minutes that this might have been his issue.

Ok, here is the main reason for the 3 stars…. Our food (a $23 hamburger, $12 wings and $5 small mac and cheese took 35 minutes to arrive). The food was better than average and presented well with some eccentric twists … the French fries were seasoned differently, the wings were crunchy but still buffalo style and the mac and cheese was obviously was made from higher end ingredients than normal. The kid’s meal did not come out early as offered, but with our meals. The best part of my husband’s hamburger was the bread which was very good. The two patties were very thin, similar to what you would see at a fast food restaurant. It still tasted good, but so does a Big Mac. He was not asked in advance how the hamburger should be cooked which was probably b/c it comes one way – well done. The wings were good but not necessarily with the “kick” that someone looks for when they want Buffalo wings. The meat wasn’t necessarily anymore plump or succulent than what you would get at any other bar. There were six wings ($2 a wing). I am a wings connoisseur btw so I am always looking for the best. Only two small strips of celery were put into the mix, shoved into the standup basket w/the wings, allowing them to become limp and warm, and wing tasting. Not a good compliment. The blu cheese dressing was very good, and probably homemade.

So as I am still eating (for probably 10 minutes after the food arrived) a busser comes over and starts to take away my food which wasn’t finished yet. I got that back, but 5 minutes later, she starts cleaning up our table, taking the placemats etc, brushing crumbs off the table even though my husband and son were still eating. I thought this random. Usually that is a sign to get moving, and get out. However, if you are going to take over 30 minutes to deliver the most basic food, than let us eat as a somewhat leisurely pace. After all, we were there to ski so we would be out the door soon anyway. I would sense that this is the reason for the 30 minute wait at the door…. Food delivery.

All in all our service wasn’t bad but not exceptionally outgoing or apologetic for the slow delivery of the food. Perhaps it’s because we never complained either. We were finally ready to hit the road and I quickly paid the bill which I didn’t look closely at but it was $70. I assume the excess amount was due to a glass of chocolate milk and 2 bloody Maries.

With that said, you can eat outside too but that was packed. That is first come first serve and it might be a better alternative for you on a nice day. There are many nice restaurants in Teton Village to visit that offer more affordable pricing and better service. I know this is the Four Seasons but you charge the same amount for a hamburger that Couloir does with their exception service.

North of Boston
“Stick to sandwiches”
Reviewed March 9, 2013

The day we went, we waited 45 minutes to be seated. Had another group seated before us... Not too great. Then sat with another group of 4 at a table that really held 6. Not good either. The sandwiches are great. 12 dollar hot dog is huge with fries and you can get chili and cheese on it. Don't recommend the chili unless the chef thickened it up a bit. It was soupy and very weak almost like they added extra water to make it last longer. Definitely not worth 12 dollars for a bowl. You can get a great bowl of chili just down the hill at the cowboy cafe below the tram.