“Fabulous hotel”

Four Seasons Resort and Residences Jackson Hole
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Teton Village
Reviewed September 13, 2006

We stayed for four nights over Labor Day. Contrary to the negative reviews regarding service, we could not have been treated better. The hotel was no where near booked, which allowed for a free upgrade to a Superior room. The room was gorgeous and comfortable with a stone fireplace and a balcony overlooking a horse ranch. The 4 breakfast's and 2 dinners we had at the hotel where superior. In fact, we had dinner in Jackson the other 2 nights and nothing compared to the cusine and service at the Four Seasons. The room was immaculate, service was beyond reproach and the staff was much more approachable than we have experienced at other hotels of this level. We are world-traveled and highly recommend this fine hotel.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
6  Thank travelobsessive
Write a ReviewReviews (1,073)

Reviewed September 11, 2006

Visited the FS Jackson Hole for four nights over the Labor Day Holiday. Great time of year to visit the Tetons!

Could not have been more thrilled with the accomodations and public areas of the property. All were beautifully decorated and immaculately maintained

The service, subject of many of the negative reviews, was very good but not great. It was far better than most places in Jackson Hole, where there is a huge shortage of service personnel due to the high cost of living.

Eating at the hotel was limited to a lunch around the pool and a room service breakfast, both of which were fine but not remarkable. We did not eat in the restaurant as their are dozens of wonderful options in town.

Overall an A+ experience but not a bargain. We got the "Fourth Night Free" promotion and our rate still averaged nearly $400/night for a "Superior" room.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
3  Thank bunkylunk
Reviewed September 1, 2006

We stayed at the Four Seasons for 6 nights in late August 2006. Like many others have said, the property itself is gorgeous -- luxurious rooms, great location (better than in Jackson, in my opinion). You are right at the entrance to Grand Teton National Park and about 1 1/2 hours from Yellowstone.

The service is definitely lacking, especially when you are paying $500+ a night for a room. Everyone was pleasant, but housekeeping in particular needs attention. Most nights the turndown service did not arrive until well after 8:30 p.m. Also, we returned to our room as late as 4 or 5 p.m. and found that the daily housekeeping had not been done. Another nitpick: the "refrigerator" in the room (clearly labeled "refrigerator" inside it) did NOT keep our soft drinks and water cool. When we complained, we were told it wasn't a refrigerator at all, but rather an appliance that kept things at the same temperature -- if they were room temperature when you put them in, they stayed room temperature. So why have this appliance at all?

Also, we were initially put in a room overlooking the service entrance (which the staff called the "courtyard" -- definitely not what I think of as a courtyard). While the room was great, the view and noise were not what you would expect from luxury hotel. After a half-dozen calls and visits to the front desk, we were finally moved to a view of the main entrance (also called a "courtyard" view). This was much nicer, but still not the mountain view we requested. However, it was acceptable.

This may all seem very nit-picky, but when you pay top dollar for a hotel, you expect top service. We WOULD stay there again because of the great rooms and location, but the hotel definitely needs to work on its service.

For food, by the way, we did room service a couple of nights and ate once in the main dining room (VERY expensive). We also ate fondue at the neighboring Alpenhof one night. There aren't a lot of dining options nearby, so if quick access to lots of restaurants is important to you, this isn't the hotel you want.

We visited Spring Creek Ranch to go horseback riding and it also has luxury accommodations with beautiful views. Personally, however, I prefer the location of Four Seasons.

We also wished we had booked at least one night's accommodations in Yellowstone Park. It's a LONG drive up there and back, and impossible to see everything worth seeing in one day. Even though nothing in Yellowstone rivals the Four Seasons, I still think it would have been good to have spent a night there.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Traveler918
Reviewed August 18, 2006

My wife and I came to the FS Jackson Hole for summer vacation. On business, we normally stay at 3-4 star hotels. We are both from a large city and work long hours, so though we do not live a five star lifestyle, we usually choose five star hotels for our vacations. The location of this hotel is exceptional. The rooms and atmosphere are also incredible, but as compared with other Four Seasons/Ritz Carlton experiences, the service level is lacking in some areas. Here is what we thought in detail:

Location: Breathtaking!! The snowcapped mountains in the distance are incredible and almost awe-inspiring. Just nearby the hotel there are a couple ranches with cattle roaming and, in the distance, you can see the Grand Teton Mountains. The entrance to Grand Teton National Park is about 2 miles. The South Entrance to Yellowstone is about 1.5 hours (Old Faithful about 2.5 hours).

Rooms: The rooms are at the high level you would expect from a FS property. As mentioned in other reviews, the standard rooms are somewhat small. The least expensive rooms (what we reserved) have either a very small balcony (ours overlooked the main driveway which was somewhat disappointing but completely fair given that we paid the lowest rate) or a fireplace. The bathrooms are very comfortable with a nice marble tub, a beautiful southwest-themed glass/marble shower, two sinks and a separate room for the toilet. (I never wanted to leave the shower.)

Facilities/Spa: The gym is very nice with the standard equipment (each with a personal tv). The locker rooms have every amenity you would expect (steam room/sauna, nice showers...). The pool is small but adequate with three hot tubs. (Due to the large number of hot tubs but very small size of the main pool, we imagine that the pool area was built to please the hot tub users during the winter who use the hot tubs after skiing rather than to please the main pool users during the warmer summer months.)

Service: If it were not for the service, this hotel would be five stars without question. Let me say first that the concierge staff is exceptional and very helpful (though I would second that earlier review that said that the staff only recommends restaurants which start at $100 per couple; I asked some other staff to find out about the places where locals actually dine.) As far as the negatives of the service - we enjoyed our stay tremendously and nothing I say here would prevent us from returning - however, the hotel does need to invest in some re-training for staff. Our first exposure to bad service started when we faxed our reservation request to this hotel and another FS hotel that we were visiting on this trip - the other hotel responded immediately; we never received a response from the FS Jackson Hole. Housekeeping forgot to provide soap/shampoo on more than one day during our stay - it took three calls to obtain shampoo. Housekeeping left stained sheets/blankets from another room in the entry way to our room one day. Again, the beauty of this place far overshadows any of these minor issues - but it does make you wonder if there is a training/management issue here.

Overall: The hotel is exceptionally beautiful and the facilities are very comfortable. The service level is not consistent, however, with other Four Seasons. I have noticed that the lowest rates for the August time period increased from the time we booked (months in advance) until now by over 50% (originally, the hotel had a fourth night free promotion in August 2006 averaging $300/night; now the hotel no longer has that promotion for summer 2006 or summer 2007 and the standard rates are up to $475/night for summer 2006 and $525 for summer 2007). At $300/night, given the alternatives in the area, this place is a good value. We have paid much higher rates at other Four Seasons properties, but we had service that matched that price. Given the service level and comparable properties in this part of the country, I would not pay $525/night, and would likely choose another property instead of this property or choose to return during the spring-time low season (around May) when the rates drop by around 50%.

Stayed: July 2006
11  Thank WashingtonDC100
Reviewed August 10, 2006

We just returned from a wonderful trip to the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone National Park. We chose to stay at the Four Seasons because we have stayed at many of their properties and have always had wonderful service and experiences. The property is beautiful and the scenery is outrageous. We were a bit disappointed with the service. The doorperson was usually nowhere to be found which is very unlike your typical Four Seasons property (not that we can't open our own doors but we usually had our handfuls with backpacks and stuff for our day trips and it would have been nice, esp. since it is a service all of the other Four Seasons, and almost all Ritz Carltons have). We also ate the breakfast buffet one morning and had to clear our own plates out of the way b/c the waiter was unavailable and there was no one to bus our table. Our final service complaint was that we returned to our room at 8:30 p.m on our last night and there was no turn-down service. We called the front desk on 3 occasions asking for assistance b/c the sleeper sofa in our Suite needed to be made up with pillows, etc. Usually, turndown service included a bottle of water for each person (which we used and needed at that altitude). After our 3rd call, somebody came by and pulled out the sofa bed, set the pillows and blankets out and left. It simply appears that it is hard to find sharp help in the Jackson Hole area. The people were all very nice and we would continue to frequent Four Seasons b/c we believe these issues were just a product of this area. The property is located in Teton Village which has other things for the kids to do. This was nice and the breakfast buffet was good and reasonably priced. However, the one alcoholic sangria drink I had poolside was outrageously priced at $12 (I understand paying $8-9 for a drink but I thought that price was out of line). We had no other meals at the Four Seasons b/c Jackson Hole had wonderful restaurants and was an awesome area. We would definately return to the area and would perhaps give up the quality of the accomodations (reluctantly) to stay in the Spring Creek Ranch area which was closer to town and had full-time unbelievable views of the Grand Tetons (as opposed to the Four Seasons which was nestled up against the base of the mountain). The bottom line is that the Four Seasons has a great property with very nice finishes - it just needs better service to match the overall experience we have come to expect and enjoy from the typical Four Seasons.

4  Thank Love-to-Plan-Trips
Reviewed July 31, 2006

We visited the Jackson Hole/Yellowstone area from June 30th through July 11th and were very pleased with our four nights at the Four Seasons.

We checked into the Four Seasons late on Sunday night and were very pleased with the large room with a desk and sitting area in front of the fireplace and the huge closet that easily accomodating the massive amounts of luggage we carried. The bathroom was very nice as well with a shower that accomodated two easily and a large jacuzzi tub.

Awaiting our arrival in the room was a bottle of champagne and a plate of chocolate covered strawberries with a congratulatory note on our upcoming wedding. The interesting thing about the champagne and strawberries was that our wedding was scheduled for the upcoming weekend at a different location in Jackson Hole, but the Four Seasons went the extra mile to help us feel very special and to help us celebrate despite that. (Side note, the Four Seasons was a strong consideration for us in our choice of a summer wedding location. However, we wanted a view of the Tetons and the only view you get at Teton Village is of the ski lifts or parking lots.)

As we had a planned hike to Lake Solitude (17 miles round trip from Jenny Lake) on Monday morning, we called room service to request a to-go breakfast. At our request, they made us egg sandwiches on bagels and a plate of cut fruit, all packaged neatly for a hike. It was a really great breakfast and we really appreciated the effort it took since it was delivered to our room sharply at 5:15 in the morning.

On Tuesday, my fiance and I recovered from our exhausting hike at the spa with massages, a butter cream hydrating treatment (which I highly recommend), pedicures and facials. It was the perfect detox from our adventures in the Tetons and Yellowstone.

Since Tuesday was the 4th of July, I met some friends at the music festival at the local high school for a symphonic concert out on the grass. They call it "Music in the Hole" and about 10,000 people show up for the evening concerts. People stake out locations starting at 9 am with blankets and then begin to casually appear about 3:00 pm. There were 3 hours of opening bands and then the real thing started at 6:00 pm. It was a great thing to do to celebrate the 4th in a unique way. After the concert, our group went to the rodeo (over by Snow King Mountain) and then watched a brilliant fireworks display at the base of the mountain.

On Wednesday, a few girlfriends met me (the bride) at the Four Seasons for a girls day of lounging by the pool. Unfortunately, it rained on that day but we were more than happy to take a very leisurely lunch at the restaurant there (which was excellent) and drink wine out on the porch with the heat lamps turned on. We found that with sunshine it was in the mid-80s but with rain the temperature drops 20 to 30 degrees, so folks should bring a fleece or sweater to throw on if it ends up raining.

We will definitely return to Jackson Hole and specifically to the Four Seasons in both winter (as it's really the ideal winter hotel) and summer. Another good to know thing is that we booked our room early (about 8 or 10 months ahead of time) and got our 4th night free at the Four Seasons. I'm not sure if that deal was valid close in, but it brought down our per night cost by $100.

In case you're interested, here are the other places we stayed and our high level thoughts.

Roosevelt Lodge, Yellowstone Park: Loved it for the authenticity. Our cabin was small but rustic with a wood burning stove for heat and we had a communal bathroom (only 4 cabins have personal bathrooms so you should book early to get those). If these two things don't turn you off, we highly recommend this location in the park for a visit.

Canyon Lodge, Yellowstone Park: Would only stay here again if we couldn't get a cabin at Roosevelt.

Four Seasons, Teton Village: Definitely worth many return visits, particularly in ski season.

Spring Creek Ranch, Jackson: Our wedding guests stayed here and we did as well for a couple of nights. The rooms are ok, but for the same price (with the 4th night free) the Four Seasons rooms completely outshine the Spring Creek. Though the real reason to stay here is that every room on the property has a fabulous view of the Tetons making it a really perfect location for a summer vacation... so if the view is important to you and it was to us, this a no brainer.

Amangani, Jackson: We'll definitely stay here again, as this was a perfect end to a beautiful week. Also it shares the same view of the mountains as the Spring Creek, but it is luxurious where the Spring Creek is rustic. It's very service oriented, though we didn't get a bottle of champagne, we did get a lovely welcoming note and a fresh bowl of fruit every morning. And, anything we asked for, despite the time, was delivered quickly.

Amangani vs Four Seasons... they're totally different and both well worth the visit.

Lastly, if you visit in the summer time, you should definitely take a day long fly fishing trip with West Bank Anglers, and if you are traveling with a group, you should go white water rafting with Barker-Ewing River Trips.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
9  Thank Texas279
Reviewed July 27, 2006

I just finished my stay at this Four Seasons and everything about my vacation was perfect.
First off, an all important note, I usualy can not afford to stay at a Four Seasons, however the company I work for took us there as a special year end bonus.
Also before my family and I left for vacation, I visited this website, and read some reviews, some of which were critical of this resort, so I went in prepared for the worst...

However everything that other people seemed to have problems with, I didn't even think about after the first night.
The conceirge was extremely helpful, my wife loved the spa (she's still raving about it) and my kids basically lived in the pool.

The restuarant in the Four Seasons, (The West Bank, is its name I think) was wonderful, the food was great, and the prices were exactlly what I expected to pay. (I even took my two children there one night, and they enjoyed thier food just as much as my wife and I enjoyed ours)
I was even dissappointed one night to find that the restaurant was packed, and with no reservation I was out of luck, but the hostess was very good at redirecting me and a few co-workers to 'The Peak" which had a more casual approach, but was just as good in its own right. (The Peak is a bar so it was good that my wife and kids were off exploring Jackson.)

Another reviewer had mentioned Bubbas Restaurant as a good place to eat in town. And all I have to say is Bubba's is the evquivelant of a Denny's that serves BBQ. All in all a very poor and disappointing experiance. My only thought is how do you compare a cheap casual restaurant to a Four Seasons resort?

All in all it was a wonderful trip and now (much to the shagrin on my wallet) my family never wants to stay anywhere else than a Four Seasons.

• Stayed: July 2006
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank tjamson
Snake River Lodge and Spa
Snake River Lodge and Spa
#4 of 7 in Teton Village
Rustic Inn Creekside Resort and Spa at Jackson Hole

Been to Four Seasons Resort and Residences Jackson Hole? Share your experiences!