“Best-Vacation-Ever-Period!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of R Lazy S Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Teton Village
R Lazy S Ranch
Upstate SC
“Best-Vacation-Ever-Period!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013

This was our first experience at a ranch and our first family trip out west. We have two kids (12 and 10 year old boys) who are not outdoorsy kids and are total opposites. Our older son is reserved and was nervous about riding horses and our younger son is a whirling tornado. This ranch was absolutely phenomenal for both. They had a wrangler assigned to the kids who was very hands on and kept them both entertained. My oldest son runs cross country and the kids counselor (Kyle ) ran with him after he was off duty. My nervous horse rider was comfortable and sad to leave his horse behind ( you typically ride the same horse all week) and my tornado thinks he is a real cowboy.....neither had been on a horse before. The land borders the Grand Teton National Park and the scenery is so gorgeous it almost looks fake. Don't even get me started on the food- Delicious! My son ate six pieces of Teriyaki Salmon at dinner one night and had never eaten Salmon before! Who knew? There are homemade cookies and fruit to snack on in between gourmet meals. We needed to go on a diet after leaving! The kids ate with the kids counselor and the adults ate in a separate room. I wasn't sure how I would feel about it, but the kids were entertained while my husband and I were actually able to carry on a conversation without being interrupted.The staff was very friendly and knew us all by our names. It was so much more personal then a hotel. We are also not bed and breakfast type people but this was great because you had your own cabin and your own private space but got to meet and develop friendships with people during activities. We played tag on the horses with our kids, went tubing, fishing, had a breakfast ride, went to the rodeo, attended a cocktail party and an art show, rode more horses, boated on Jackson Lake, made new friends, played board games and games on horses and basically had the best trip ever. You know you have had a great trip when your almost 13 year old son is struggling not to cry when having to leave and say goodbye (along with one of his new friends). Did I mention the wildlife? While riding we saw a bear (what a memory!), elk, deer, a coyote and a moose. There are also two donkeys that are the ranch's mascots that wander around. The only negative? It has been mostly word of mouth and people that come, keep on coming year after year! They gave out belt buckles to two couples for their tenth and twenty fifth visit ....so book early and if you come in July maybe we will see you there. We will definitely be back. The only other thing I think I would add is after reading the other reviews about the ranch is that they are all accurate. Believe what you read! Truly the best vacation and money we have ever spent. Highly recommend!

Room Tip: The only reason I didn't give the sleep quality a five is because we came during a particularly...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
York, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013

This was our 26th consecutive year at the R Lazy S, situated adjacent to Teton National Park in Teton Village in Jackson Hole Wyoming...Great horses, riding, (you can come as a novice or experienced rider) guests, conversations, are typical but the surprises are what are seen on the rides and from your cabin...Beautiful scenery, a variety of wildlife, elk herds that visit the ranch in the evening, jumping a fence to get at a salt lick or dine on the grasses in front of your cabin....so accustomed to riders you can ride through their nurseries...It's not unusual in September to see the Bull elk fighting and hear their bugling for the cows, and bear activity is higher as they seek to fill their bellies with food before winter hibernation. Moose are common visitors and you may see the occasional coyote or wolf...There is a kids' program with a kiddie counselor and kiddie wranglers where games such as tag on horses and team penning provide lots of fun for the kids and the grownups who like to play along..The food is outstanding, sit down, buffet style, cookouts. international and American cuisine and seafood topped off with tempting desserts. Bring your cameras, and keep them handy...this is a photographers dream. Other off ranch activities include hiking fly fishing, white water rafting, and Yellowstone is not far away although I would advise a trip there before the ranch so you can enjoy the ranch and all it has to offer. My big surprise this trip (2013) watching a fledgling bald eagle take its first flight and clumsy landing to the tree that was his birthplace as a parent eagle sat in a dead lodgepole pine full of pride.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank terpsmom
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2012

We spent a week at the R Lazy S in July 2012, and we had a spectacular time. It was our first visit to a dude ranch, and we had the best vacation imaginable. The owners and staff were uniformly friendly, professional, and dedicated; the furnishings were comfortable; the food was fabulous; and all the activities were great, great fun. The ranch is bounded by Grand Teton National Park and the Snake River, and the daily rides into the park were breathtaking. The trout fishing on the Snake and other nearby rivers was fantastic. We had unbelievable fun, and we already have made plans to return next year. We recommend the R Lazy S enthusiastically and unconditionally.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2012

The best place EVER! I've met so many new friends (I'm 13 and have been going since age 7) and I look forward to coming every summer. There are so many activities an fun things to do for everyone! There's a kids councilor who is always very involved and really makes the trip fun. My grandparents come with us sometimes and they absolutely love it! The food is literally amazing. It's the one week where I really pig out. I can't wait to come back next year!

• Stayed July 2012
3 Thank calvingal85
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2012

I am only 13 years old, but I have been going to this ranch every summer for 5 years along with my now 15-year-old sister, my parents, and the rest of our extended family, including my grandmother who comes every year along with her friends, and still has a great time. Even though I am just a kid, there is something about the relaxed atmosphere there that seems and is appealing to every guest (with a comfortable max capacity of 42) that stays there. Whether you are an adult seeking a relaxing time to meet new people, an avid traveler looking for new experiences and to enjoy the views, or a teenager or kid like me who is just looking for fun family time, you can be sure that you won't be disappointed. It's such a fun trip that I spend the whole summer up to the first week in July when we fly out from Charlotte, NC, just getting excited.

Among many other great aspects of the trip, one of my favorites is hearing the breakfast bell ringing at 7:00 a.m (which seems early, but you always have motivation to get up) every morning. You wake up to sunlight in the window, the aspen trees or Tetons or the main lodge in the background, and you know it's going to be another great day. It's also great because I can name 80 percent of the staff there, because they are so outgoing and friendly that they'll come ou and mingle with the guests each meal. It's also a beautiful area, with several activites planned each day but every one of them optional. It's just an absolutely amazing place to get to know the people, the horses, and the beautiful scenery. The only complaint I might have is scheduling more activites, especially for the kids, but that's not really a problem because the kid counselor's job is to entertain us, and the staff is all very accomodating.

It's especially good because you can arrange your accomodations if you're coming in a big group like we do so that the cabins that we're all staying in are in close proximity to each other. That way, we can all decide to, for example, take a walk along the Snake River before dinner. It's also great (I know I say that a lot) how the guests all get to know each other. My grandmother always hosts a get-together with appetizers and a gorgeous view of the Tetons for all of the guests to get to know each other and chat, before heading down to dinner Monday night. There's also a cocktail party on the spacious porch of the lodge where the staff hands out nametags and we all just sort of mingle.

The cabins (I've stayed in two over the course of 5 years) are great. Well, one time we found a snake in the bathroom, and one time when I was locked in my bunkbed room I discovered a bumblebee that had crawled through the cracks, but hey, I hate camping, and I love the cabins. They are spacious, comfortable, clean, and every other cozy, tidy adjective. They all have porches and swinging benches, and swinging screen doors that I don't think I will ever forget the sound of. Even though some of the cabins are a little cramped, they all have spacious living rooms where you can always hang out, relax, read, and there is free WiFi if, like my dad, you still need to work sometimes, even from a long distance away.

Overall, it's a great experience and I find myself loving it more and more each time I go. Great pepole, delicious food, great accomodations, great family, great horses, great scenery, it's just great. Great trip. I would reccomend it to anyone.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Mary S
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2012

A vacation at the R Lazy S is really like none other. I first went when I was about 5 years old and some of my best childhood memories were had there. Now I try to bring my family there every summer and my kids LOVE it.

Here's what to expect: the cabins are rustic. they're extremely clean and comfortable but they don't have phones or TV's...and that's the point. This is one week a year where I leave my phone in the cabin and actually put work aside and enjoy it.

The kids program they have here is unbelievable. It's like summer camp except you get to spend it with your kids. They have all sorts of activities throughout the day including twice daily horseback rides, tubing, waterskiing, and a variety of other games and activities. The kids have a dedicated kids councelor who hands out with them and plans activities. The kids can go off and do their own thing and there is no worry of them being harmed because this is a HUGE ranch. The kids love it and frankly it's nice to be able to let them go a bit and not worry about them getting kidnapped etc.

As an adult there is a ton of stuff to do (see their website) but the best thing is just getting away and enjoying the environment. The food is great, the service is better than any Four Seasons or Ritz Carlton, and the actual property that the ranch is on is something you'd find in a magazine or a western movie. The only thing comparable to this vacation is a cruise, but to me and our family there is more value here and certainly much more uniqueness.

Room Tip: Cabins close to the lodge are nice for kids because they are closer to the action. All the cabins ar...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
6 Thank cmann2
Los Angeles, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2012

R LAZY S RANCH is one of my most favorite places on the planet !
HANDS DOWN, the most spectacular views of the glorious Teton Mountain Range. The family who own and operate the ranch are absolutely lovely and they gather an incredible ranch crew every summer. Fabulous horseback rides, delicious meals (morning, noon, and night), beautiful cabins, wonderful people, super fun activities, just to name a few, make for an outstanding time.
If I could be there every summer, I would !

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Snake River Lodge and Spa
Snake River Lodge and Spa
#4 of 7 in Teton Village
Rustic Inn Creekside Resort and Spa at Jackson Hole

Been to R Lazy S Ranch? Share your experiences!