“Have been on a business trip and my overall stay was good...”

Comfort Inn & Suites
Ranked #4 of 19 Hotels in Sheridan
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Review collected in partnership with Wingate by Wyndham

Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

Nice clean hotel with great hillside position. Helpful staff and friendly attitude. Bedrooms good size and bed incredibly comfortable. Small gym but better than nothing. Interesting to see the prairie dog colony on the other side of the road for those who like wildlife!

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 16, 2013

My husband has often stayed at and recommended to coworkers the Wingate in Sheridan, Wyoming while traveling for his business. I have stayed with him in this hotel now twice and after our stay last night we will now be seeking another hotel to utilize in the Sheridan, Wyoming area when we find ourselves in town.

Problems with our stay: AC/Heater Unit smoked the entire room up and started the fire alarm, the same AC/Heater unit that we had shut OFF after the alarm going off woke us up at 4 AM by shooting a shower of sparks toward our bed which was less than two feet away, mini fridge in our room was not working so we could not safely store our dinner leftovers, poor cleaning job in the bathroom- there was long black hairs left on the side of the tub.

When my husband talked to the woman on duty at the desk on 8/16/13 to relay our safety concerns with the room and our lack of sleep he was told that the hotel was not set up yet to use any heat. First off, the thermostat in our room was set at 72 degrees. There are only buttons to raise the temperature or lower the temperature. There is no way to physically control if you desire the AC or the Heating part of the wall unit to work. Secondly, if guests are expected to not use any heat in order to avoid sparks flying from the wall unit, perhaps there should be a sign posted near the thermostat to warn guests not to go past say, 65 degrees during the summer months.

Secondly my husband was told that we "already had a discount on the room by using AAA upon check-in." I guess I wasn't aware that if you use a AAA discount the miniscule discount on the original room price compensates for nearly being set on fire in the middle of a deep sleep. AAA users, be warned, if we were given the excuse of a room with major problems as being ok since we got a discount, I suppose you may encounter the same crooked thought process.

The next reasoning that this woman offered my husband was a "$30.00" credit to the evenings bill. We had no sleep from 4am on because of the smoke lingering in our room that had no ventilation, no working cooling or heating system, or the ability to open the window and we are offered $30.00? I am sorry, but that is very poor and clearly "not good enough."

Next my husband was told that he would be credited for a full nights stay and we were billed zero. I will say to the benefit of this hotel that this woman was kind in her dealings with my husband, but the VERY FIRST thing from her should have been a complete refund and an apology. This type of malfunction was not due to any fault of us as guests, yet she seemed to want to rationalize it and make it ok with excuses. This in my opinion showed very poor customer service and it is because of this that we will choose to no longer utilize or recommend the Wingate hotel in Sheridan, Wyoming as a place to stay.

1  Thank liberty112
mohammedkhan87, Public Relations Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2013

I want to thank you for your feedback and I want to apologize for these inconveniences you encountered. I understand that you had issues with our cleanliness and issues with the air conditioning unit. I have notified my housekeeping staff and maintenance staff to fix these problems and stop them from happening in the future. I want to ask that if travels ever bring you back to Sheridan to please try our hotel again.

Wingate by Wyndham
307.675.1101

Reviewed August 16, 2013

they said breakfast was from 6 to 10. they started taking it all away and cleaning up just before 9:30. We ate, but i felt bad for others that may have come later. Also, no late check out option. i was in a business meeting at 11 and they called me to tell me to come back to the hotel to check out. I went back at 11:10, asked if my daughter could swim in the pool for 10 minutes and they refused. Because they had to check us out at 11, they wouldn't let her swim. When all this was related to the front desk, they were not friendly. i usually stay at the Hampton when in Sheridan for business. I decided to try the wingate this one time. Will never do it again. Staff at the hampton is way friendlier and helpful. they treat you like they value your business as opposed to the wingate which gave the impression that they couldn't wait to get rid of us and get us out. pillows were awful as well. internet connectioni was terrible too. kept cutting out and reconnecting making it very hard to get any work done.

Review collected in partnership with Wingate by Wyndham

I am sorry for the inconvenience that you encountered. I understand you were unhappy with our hotels service and I am very sorry for this experience. We take a lot of pride in our guests being satisfied and apologize that we were unable to meet that expectation. I am working with our staff to review our service issues and prevent this from happening in the future. I hope that if your travels bring you back to the area, you will consider staying with us again.

Wingate by Wyndham
307.675.1101

Reviewed August 14, 2013

Really a perfect place. We had a family suite and after a long drive from Glacier Park it was heaven. Greta condition, wonderful bedding and pillows. Great bathroom and lots of space. Super staff, very helpful. Great breakfast. Stay ere and you won't be disappointed!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Stayed here for five nights on business. The location is very convenient, continental breakfast each morning was a B+, and the view when you walk out the door each morning is beautiful.

However, my room faced out to the front of the hotel and there was a significant amount of truck traffic at night and in the early AM. I didn't know what "jake braking" was until this week. Jake braking is that loud machine gun sound trucks make when slowing down and since the hotel is at the top of a hill. If I stay here again, it won't be in the front of the hotel.

Room Tip: Choose a room facing out towards the back of the hotel.
Reviewed August 1, 2013

We had a very bad experience with the Wingate in Sheridan, Wyoming. We had traveled from Deadwood, South Dakota, with several stops along the way arriving at the Wingate at 8pm. The clerk at the desk informed my wife that she had cancelled our reservation. My wife went ballistic because she was holding the confirmation in her hands for this evening that she had made in March of this year. The desk clerk said she had cancelled the reservation at 5:30 because she tried the credit card number and found that it was not valid. That is true because a couple months ago our card was compromised and we had it replaced. The desk clerk said she called our home number and left a message to call back. Well, fine, she called our home number but we were on the road. We used that number for the reservation in case there were things that needed attention before we left home. She said that we should have listed a cell phone number.

So, we asked the clerk if we could have a room. She said that they were sold out and we were out of luck. We asked if she could find a room for us in the area and she said she could give us some places to call. That is when the train came off the tracks and we both got very upset, I will admit. She said she would call the manager and see what could be done. I was expecting a friendly resolution to the situation, but that was not what happened. His first statement was that the problem was all our fault. It was clearly not going to have a happy resolution. Several times he said it was all our fault and that was that. I asked if he could help us find a place to stay in Sheridan. Finally, he said he would see what he could do and would call us back. A few minutes later he called and said there was a vacancy at the Motel 6 on the other side of the highway.

Sitting here typing this (in the Motel 6) I am asking myself what I learned from the situation. First, let me say that we were upset (8pm, long day, reservation in hand, looking forward to a nice evening in a property which we like, room cancelled). Second, we had expectations that the staff and management at a Wyndham property would be helpful to the best of their ability. We travel A LOT, spending more that 15 weeks a year on the road staying almost exclusively at Wyndham properties. If either the clerk or the manager had bothered to look at our reservation they would have seen our Wyndham Rewards record and that might have tipped them off that we are really good customers of the Wyndham Group. We have found that, with the exception of the Wingate Sheridan, every person at every Wyndham property we have stayed at were helpful, courteous and interested that we have a good experience. Customer service is not the strong suit of this property.

As an aside, we called ahead to the next place we plan to stay, a Wyndham property. We explained that our card had been compromised and we wanted to give them a new card number. They said, don't worry, you reservation is good here and we will handle the new card number when you arrive tomorrow night.

I gotta believe that Wyndham management should be concerned that this situation happened at one of their properties. Really, with this one exception, our experiences at Wyndham properties has been excellent, regardless of the type of property. This one faux pas on their part will not deter us from the Wyndham Group. From reading other TripAdvisor reviews and management responses, it is pretty clear to us that the manager is not interested in customer service, despite his claims to be interested in 100% customer satisfaction.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank swift98b
mohammedkhan87, Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2013

Dear Sirs,

I am very sorry that we were not able to have you stay at our hotel and have a good stay while you were here in Sheridan. Our hotel policy is that we only hold Non-Guaranteed reservations until 6 p.m. When your credit card proved to be invalid your reservation went to a Non-Guaranteed status. That being said we will look into our policies and try to make them better so every guest is 100% satisfied every time they enter our doors all the way until they leave our doors. I hope that if travels bring you back to Sheridan in the future you will try our hotel again.

If you need anything else please contact me at the information below.

1950 E. 5th Street