“mixed bag”

Trails End Motel Sheridan
Ranked #17 of 19 Hotels in Sheridan
Reviewed August 8, 2012

There's a lot of good things about this hotel: I loved the vintage sign, the wooden beams on the ceilings in the room and the warm western decor, the attached restaurant--the Firewater Bar and Grill, which is very good!--and the friendly staff. It's also mere yards from the Interstate, so even though it's on the outskirts of town in a not-so-great area, the location is convenient. Sheridan makes a good stopping-off point between Yellowstone and the Black Hills and it's only an hour from the Little Big Horn Battlefield. If you get a room in the front of the hotel, you cannot hear the train go by; we slept fine. The weirdness set in when we came down for breakfast. The person staffing the tiny room was obviously strung out on something--talking loudly and incessantly to the room at large and darting around in a manic frenzy. From what I saw, she's not an isolated example. The hotel and the town have seen better days, I think, so in the future I would avoid both.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Majnuni
TrailsEndMotel, General Manager at Trails End Motel Sheridan, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2012

We want to thank you for taking the time write a review about your stay at the Trails End Motel, as well as your pleasant experience in Firewater Bar & Grill. Our customers satisfaction is important to us, as is the quality and professionalism of our staff. In regards to the employee that you make reference to above, we would greatly appreciate it if you would contact us through email, with more details as to when you stayed here and what this person looked like so that we can take necessary action. Please feel free to email us this information at trailsmotel@vcn.com.

Reviewed July 31, 2012

We've been coming to the Trails End for years. This will be the last year. The motel is under new management and something's happening, but none of it seems to be good. The prices are a little higher, no more free breakfast buffet (a skimpy continental is the only 'free), and there's a weird subculture developing there at night. The trains are worse than ever in the back part of the property. Our first 'non-smoking' room was tainted with the smell of stale cigarettes. The only explanation we received was 'rodeo was in town last week'. They are building an entertainment stage outback to host the likes of Foghat and Blue Oyster Cult...They should have put that money INTO refurbishing the hotel The restaurant was expensive. Steak was good, salad was below average, potato had been baked over baked over baked. There's much to do in Sheriden; we've been coming there since the 90's. We'll find a new place to stay next year.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Frank B
TrailsEndMotel, General Manager at Trails End Motel Sheridan, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding your stay at our motel. We are genuinely sorry to learn that your experience at the hotel and restaurant was less than satisfactory.
You are correct about the new Concert Stage being built in the back and we would like to assure you that the hotel has not been neglected in this process, as many of our rooms are going through the remodeling process and many updates are taking place.
Most importantly, we want you to know that your review has not fallen on deaf ears and actions are being taken to ensure that an experience such as this does not occur again, both in the restaurant and in the hotel. We are sincerely sorry to hear that due to this experience, you will no longer be staying with us. As with any guest who has had an unfortunate experience at our motel, we would like the opportunity to make it right. From the sounds of it, you have been a loyal customer and we are very appreciative of that.

Best Regards,

Reviewed July 28, 2012 via mobile

Its an old MOTEL that's being refurbished in a modern western style. Take it for what it is! I roadtrip with my 2 kids under age 10 in the summers & my husband flies to meet us on weekends. So, I want safe & clean WITH a pool.
We usually do holiday inn express or Hampton inn but Hampton was $169 & this was $89. Free continental breakfast & I got a lg side of bacon for $1 for my 6 yr old.
Visited with owner and all beds are new. Our linens & pillows were soft & comfortable. Room was clean & pool was large. Yes, all the things of old but it IS old!
There were glitches, but they were addressed when identified.
Best advice for kids: go to Safeway, get picnic stuff, go to Kendrick park with swimsuits & water shoes, picnic by creek, play on playground, & swim in public pool. There is also a snack shack there with food & esp. Ice cream!!! Eat at motel restaurant & bar. Food is delicious & kids steak plate a steal. Also: open containers in styrofoam cups are ok:-) for pool or room.
Live bands on stage in back since april. Check on that if u dont want the noise--or u want the fun!!!
We chose two story bldg on street away from rr tracks bc I like hallway entries & exterior entries with keys, feels safer.

• Stayed: July 2012

Dear Guest,

We appreciate your stay with us and you writing a review as well! We are happy to hear that your children enjoyed the swimming pool and that you found the food in our restaurant to be delicious! As you kindly pointed out, we are in the process of refurbishing the motel rooms and have completed the remodel of the restaurant and bar.
We want our guests to feel comfortable, and you said it perfectly, if our motel is not fully booked, anyone is more than welcome to ask to see a couple of the rooms and choose which one they would like to stay in. We can only remodel so many rooms at a time, so some rooms are currently more “updated” than others.
Thank you for your review and for your helpful advice for others traveling with kids!

Reviewed July 25, 2012

This hotel was rated as a 3 star on Hotwire. That is a joke! A 2 star at best. But what can you do at 11:30 at night and you've made reservations and your tired? Stay of course, unless its a total dump!I will say all the staff we encountered were very helpful and friendly! So we made the best of it after getting over the shock of all the dark paneling and slight musty smell in the rooms. the beds were comfy and we had a good nights rest. The breakfast was delicious! A nice free breakfast with cereal, waffles, toast, ect. or you could order 2 eggs, hashbrowns, and choice of meat for $4.70. Kids 12 and under could get that free. So some of us did that and it was great. I wouldnt just choose to stay here again, but I wouldn't go as far as saying never again!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our motel. It sounds as though your overall stay was a pleasant one. We are pleased to hear that our employees were helpful and friendly, hospitality and quality customer service is of crucial importance to us, as our guests deserve nothing but the best that is within our means to provide. We do apologize for the “dark paneling and slight musty smells” that you speak of in your room(s). We are currently in the process of refurbishing the motel rooms and some have been fully finished, others have upgrades and there are obviously some that we have not been able to attend to yet. If you do choose to stay with us again, please know that you are more than welcome to ask to see other rooms and select the room that you would prefer if we are not fully booked.
We are glad that you enjoyed the breakfast and thank you for staying with us!

Reviewed July 25, 2012

Sheridan is small and pretty much in the middle of nowhere so you do not have good choices that are not available to stay at overnight. I did decide to stay here because of the reviews I read which were fair.

First it is the kind of hotel with a blinking light that highlights the name. That impression kind of made me wonder what I was in for. The service lady was very nice and pleasant. We had to stay in the back units which I was nervous because it is not in a nice area. The security was good- To get into the hotel you must use a key card then you use the key card to open your door. I really appreciated that due to the area. The motel is old but the rooms look like they have been updated. The room looked like it had new carpet and was clean the bed was comfortable. It looked like some people towards the front of the motel lived here. I could be wrong – just appeared that way. Since we were on a very long road trip heading back home I needed to find a car wash to remove all the bug junk on my car. One is located right down the street- that was nice.

What I did not like is the fact the motel is located right next to the railroad tracks. I am not use to this. My college daughter has a dorm next to train tracks so it did not bother her at all. Every time the train would go by which I swear seemed like every hour and it would blow its horn. So I did not sleep well at all 6am came too quick. At breakfast when we walked in it seemed like a rough crowd my daughter and myself just opted for coffee to take for the road. I had 12 hours of driving to do - I wish I would have had a nice quiet place to sleep. I was exhausted by the time I finally got to my destination.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank MinnFamily070
Reviewed July 22, 2012

Awesome staff. Very friendly. Several buildings have been remodeled but not the one we stayed in. Was back against the railroad tracks and it made for a few wake ups throughout the night. Kids liked the pool and breakfast was great.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank Sprout2KY
Reviewed July 19, 2012

Stayed here in November 2011 and it was GREAT , the breakfast was amazing, now booked for this year and they have changed how they charge and serve breakfast , :( bummed!! The whole reason why we booked was because of the breakfast !!! Now its five buck a person and not self serve buffet . So bummed !! We loved this little hotel , it is still a nice place for the money , but bring the breakfast buffet back !!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple