“My stay at the Hideout was absolutely wonderful!!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Shell
The Hideout Lodge & Guest Ranch
New York City
“My stay at the Hideout was absolutely wonderful!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2009

My only regret was leaving. I have never felt so connected with a place before like I did at Paula and David’s ranch who are both such sweethearts and make you feel so very welcome. I think that’s the magic of the hideout…you feel like you’ve known everyone for ages and you become part of an extended family. Everyone and I truly mean everyone is super nice and amazing!

Before arriving at the ranch, I was very nervous about riding. I had a fear of horses and was really scared of being thrown off but the horses are so gentle and there really is nothing to be scared of. The wranglers do an amazing job with them and it shows in the way every horse acts. So if you are a beginner, you will do just fine. If I can do it… :)
Stewart and Shawn were the wranglers that I went on the beautiful rides with and they are awesome. They really know their stuff which in turn makes you feel safe with them by your side. Also, they did not make me feel like a weak link at all even though I was the one holding everyone else back which really says a lot about them.

I truly recommend the hideout for anyone who is looking for a home away from home. The food is absolutely delicious (coming from a picky eater), the views are amazing, the rides and the horses even more so and everyone that is a part of the ranch makes it extra special.

And I really have to comment on the scenery some more. It is stunningly beautiful. I realized that no skyscraper in nyc can compete with the beauty of the mountains. The view from my beautiful cabin and porch left me breathless every time I looked (and that doesn’t happen often ) haha

I can’t wait to go back…

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank angia85

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
London, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2009

This is a great working ranch. You really feel a part of the family and very involved in the work that the ranch does. We had some fantastic rides and views were stunning. The setting at the foot of the bighorn mountains is breathtaking. The food was amazing, Chris really produced some great dishes.
We had dinner one evening at Trapper Creek Lodge which is lovely too.
I would highly recommend the ranch to anyone who likes activity holidays, or just wants to relax and admire a working ranch in the west.
Thank you Hideout for a great stay!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank G11
Oviedo, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2009

I just spent six nights at The Hideout and am still in awe of this facility and the operation. Without a doubt, this was the best vacation ever.

The Hideout is a true working cattle ranch where they encourage the guests to be as involved as they want to be in the ranch operations. Three of my days were spent moving cattle across various types of terrain on horseback including up a mountain. Morning, afternoon, all day rides and cattle work are all offered as options so you can ride as little or as much as you want. Our group had a broad cross section of experienced riders and guest who had never been on horseback. The staff responds to the individual needs of each guest to ensure they are comfortable with their riding choices.

Lessons on natural horsemanship and riding are also offered. The staff is very competent and patience trainers in both of these areas. Although I did not pursue it, there are numerous other options for daily activities besides horseback riding.

The food is another outstanding quality. Three meals a day in the lodge and none of them were lacking in any aspect.

There is no question that I will be going back as soon as I can.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank TApfelbeck
georgetown, ky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2009

we have had the pleasure of going to a number of different guest ranches. the hideout provides the best of all worlds. the owners and those they employ make you feel part of the family. their love of the area is contagious. their horsemanship and care for the horses sets them apart. the variety of rides is second to none and they are very accomodating to your wishes. everyone is made to feel comfortable no matter their level of riding experience. the food is delightful and the accomodations are lovely and spotless. it is a wonderful place to arrive and a very difficult place to leave.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2009

I flew out to experience a different type of spring break vacation. I stayed for 9 nights at The Hideout in a casita. The casita felt like a home away from home. The kitchen (fully stocked) was perfect for breakfasts and lunches, there was a washer and dryer in unit (and they provided laudry detergent and a laundry basket!), high-speed internet, and the view when I stepped on the front porch (my private front porch) was spectacular. The best part was that the view was constantly changing - in the evenings the mountains seem to change colors and on my third morning I woke up to a world covered in snow.

I had dinner several times up at Trapper's Lodge. My first night I ordered the steak. I was not dissappointed, the meat was tender and well seasoned and served with yummy vegetables. My server was Heather, very funny and she worked the room well taking care of each guest and never forgetting to check on tables or make sure the wine glasses (or water glasses) were filled and all guests were happy. For dessert I had a cheesecake with candied nuts - perfection! The ambiance of Trapper is very special, the big fireplaces and great view onto the mountains. Apparently the whole lodge can be rented out (there are three bedroms) - and I was told that companys have held special event dinners and even some weddings.

I had a chance to go up into the Big Horn National Forest (the forest is the Hideout's backyard! - how cool is that!) Everyone told me that its much prettier in the spring when everything was green - but I thought that even in the winter it was amazing - so there just isn't a bad time of year to go! (Well, I wasn't a fan of 14F but thankfully it warmed back up) There were some repeat guests visiting while I was there and it was great to talk with them in the evenings. I really can't wait to go back in the spring and see the Hideout in green and not white!

I think the part I loved the most was the service - everyone was so nice. Farrah was great to talk to when I had any questions or wanted recomendations. The wranglers, Shawn and Stewart, were also super nice and made me feel so comfortable being around horses and the barn. They were very patient and good at explaining what was happening. They were both also super knowledgeable on the area. Chris, the chef, was also very awesome about making sure that I was taken care of. I came down late for breakfast one morning and he had no problems with getting some food out for me - I was impressed.

I would absolutly go back - and want to do a trip with a bunch of friends - there is a little something for everyone and I think it would be a great trip to 'bond' and re-connect. I recommend this for anyone - it was a great trip.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank ATravelGirlFlorida
texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2008

I have gone to the Hideout 4 times and going back again next summer with my nephew for a 5th time next summer 2009.

You ar treated like royality. The staff is top notch and the wranglers make sure your trip is a safe trip.

The horses are matched up to you perfect and the food is 4 star.
The cabins have the best view of the Big Horns.

If you are looking for a working vacation and one you will talk about until the next time you go back this is the place to go.

Don't look anywhere else just get on their website and make you reservations.

planocowgirl

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — not one thing
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank planocowgirl
Leefdaal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2008

We were blessed with a wonderful stay at the Flitner Ranch. A green oasis was waiting for us after driving through the red rock area. A warm welcome from the belgian owners made us feel at home instantaneously. A nice luxury cabin, superb European haute cuisine food, friendly and professional staff and a personal treatment were the ingredients for this perfect stay. During the day we experienced well-organised stunning outdoor activities always guided by professional people. As a non-experienced horse rider I made it through a 2-day horse trip together my husband, 2 daughters and wrangler Jared. It was a trip to remember. Nice horses, good guidance, wonderful scenery and again this personal treatment.
With a nice dinner, good wines and beer and interesting conversations the evenings flew by.
We left with pain in the heart but with a promise to the owners and to ourselves: we'll be back.
from family Verbraeken - Belgium

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shell
Greybull Motel
#1 of 2 in Greybull
Sage Motel
Sage Motel
#4 of 5 in Greybull

Been to The Hideout Lodge & Guest Ranch? Share your experiences!