The Hideout Lodge & Guest Ranch
$68
Priceline
$78
$70
All reviewshead wranglerriding experienceguest ranchfly fishingtrap shootingcocktail hourother guestsexperienced ridersriding abilitywestern wearwestern experiencewestern ridingslide shownose to taileach eveninglast foreverthree meals a day
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 15, 2013

The week at the Hideout exceeded our expectations in every way. My wife rode every day while I fly fished and rode. The accommodations were terrific and the food out of this world! The staff were, to a person, friendly and accommodating . The service overall was off the charts. We will probably go back again next year because it was that good. Worth every penny. Neil G

Room Tip: We had the Casseta room ( two bedrooms with great view).
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank neilgsox
Reviewed September 13, 2013

Responsive and willing horses, gourmet cuisine, stunning scenery, fun wranglers, a most approachable head wrangler, superior office and ranch staff and very elegant and charming owners. That is just some of what you can expect at The Hideout Lodge in Shell, Wyoming. They have 90 well fed horses for just 25 guests. Their regular western tack is superior but you may upgrade to custom saddles for an additional charge. If you want to ride hard and fast, learn to ride, sort cows, flyfish or just enjoy the beauty of this breathtaking property, book this.....you will not be disappointed. This is riding trip number 7 for me, and although sometimes it's like being asked to name your favorite child because each riding trip offers new adventures, I can say without doubt, this has the best combination of everything I look for in a riding vacation. And with a flyfishing afternoon with Mike from The Humble Fly (what a thrill!), I can't wait to come back!!

Room Tip: Only saw ours 22 and 23. Stunning views of the mountains and close to main lodge.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank sasha5
Reviewed September 12, 2013

Our week at The Hideout was like no other vacation we have ever had! Who would have thought at ages 60 and 61, we would be learning to ride horses in one of the most breathtakingly beautiful parts of our country!! (Not to mention learning how to fly fish and trap shoot!) We were not only learning how to ride, but every day we were out riding on a different trail or in a different area, with each spot more beautiful than the last. EVERYONE at The Hideout was so friendly and accommodating, encouraging and helpful, and all ran very smoothly and professionally. Great food, great rooms, great horses, great views, great people...great vacation!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank loonkpc
Reviewed September 11, 2013

Truly the best vacation I've ever had! The only thing I would have changed was going for two weeks instead of one! Seriously can't wait to go back and I did shed a few tears when it was time to leave. From our first inquiry online with Rebecca to arriving at the ranch, we were warmly welcomed and expertly outfitted with a great cowboy hat, chinks and great shirts from the gift shop! The lodge exceeded expectations and the food.......Let's just say I came home a few pounds heavier with no regrets! Sheena's food is to die for! There was a lot of thought put into pairing us with the right horse and a great orientation to ensure we were all safe. I can't say enough about the wranglers. Tom, the head wrangler ran everything so smoothly and he and the wranglers made everyday so much fun, gave great riding tips and took fantastic pictures of our rides so we did not have to. Despite varied skill levels the wranglers were very adept at ensuring each person had a great time, liked their horses and did promise we would leave the ranch better riders, and I'm pretty sure we did! The Flitners and Peter and Marijn were wonderful hosts and our rides with Marijn and her dogs were a real treat. We loved the 6:30 cocktail hour and the preview of the days photos and sharing our days adventure. Loved the family feel of the ranch and we were so lucky to have had a great group of guests during our stay who we can now call friends. Can hardly wait to go back!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 11, 2013

A trip like this was on both my husband and my "bucket lists"...so we wanted to make sure it was amazing. Well, we definitely made the right choice when choosing The Hideout! We were thrilled and so happy with the exceptional service...the entire staff treated us so well. We loved the week so much it was difficult to leave.

The riding was amazing. I cannot express how beautiful and scenic it was each and everyday. We were able to pick and choose if and how much we wanted to ride. We were paired with great horses that matched our riding ability and the horses were all healthy and trained so well. Since we have horses, and were more advanced riders, Tom and Marijn made sure we had time to lope and trot and do more advanced rides. If the wranglers saw a problem, they took care of it -- or if you expressed a concern, they were so very attentive. The food was exceptional -- Sheena is an amazing chef; we looked forward to each meal every day -- wondering what was next! Tom and Marijn and Rebecca and Peter and The Flintners and all the wranglers were all so awesome...I cannot thank them enough for the great time they showed us. Hearst and I had so much fun -- even though we have our own horses, we had never worked cattle...and we have never spent that much consistent time in the saddle. So it was exceptional and wonderful for us. :)

Thank you to all of you at The Hideout! We look forward to our next vacation there...and we will be back, for sure!!! :)

Hearst and Deena
Port Republic, MD

Room Tip: We were in one of the cabins and they were awesome. I don't think there is a "bad" place to stay at The Hideout! :) AND, they do have a laundry facility at the lodge...so that was very helpful as you do go through your wardrobe! :)
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple