“Paradise in the Big Horns”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Shell
The Hideout Lodge & Guest Ranch
“Paradise in the Big Horns”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2013

May 24, 2013, 4:05 PM
The destination of the year should be The Hideaway in Shell, WY.
Gormet food from a Cordin Bleu trained Chef, marvelous accommodations, a world class riding string and a definitely unique , like no where else we have been on 3 continents, location to ride in with a world class staff. Trout fishing and skeet shooting for non riders with outstanding guides and instructors for from novice to experienced fly fisherman and trap shooting novice to enthusiast.
Dr. and Mrs. Peter Becker
Sequim , WA

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Beckerp360

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Haywards Heath, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2013 via mobile

I cannot recommend this ranch enough if you are looking for a different kind of holiday.
We went with no riding experience & came away with confidence and knowledge about horses. The staff take extra care to really understand you and your abilities and adapt your orientation accordingly.
The trail rides are stunning!!! We did different treks each day and saw some amazing scenery.
The cabins are delightful, well maintained & clean. The staff are all wonderful from the wranglers (Joel is super patient & Tom with his hidden talent) the house team and the chef Sheena kept us well fed with delicious meals.
I'd like to keep this gem all to myself, but I can't, it's one of the best holidays I ever taken. Thank you Peter& Maran, we will be back.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank LP29
Cambria, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

I just spent a week photographing at the Hideout Ranch and can hardly wait to get back! There are no words good enough to describe the courtesy and professionalism of the staff. Tom, the head wrangler and his delightful wife Rebecca saw to our every need and were totally "hands on" every single day. Joel, the assistant wrangler is such a "charmer" that I looked forward to watching him every day. I loved the respect they showed to all of the guests. The accommodations were perfect in every way. The food was gourmet!
If you want a perfect western adventure, don't hesitate to make a reservation. These people love their jobs and know what they are doing every step of the way. It was quite an adventure for this California girl.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Megg M
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

i just returned from an excellent vacation experience. The owners were hands on and made sure that every guest was taken care of. They made you feel very welcome at their lodge.They joined us for dinner a couple of nights and everyone had a great time. The chef was very friendly and her food was delicious and the wine was flowing at dinner. The rooms were tastefully decorated and very clean. The housekeepers came in everyday to change towels and to tidy up my room. The vehicles that they took us around in were always very clean. I went for a winter photography workshop and we were taken to the best locations to make sure we got the best photos. Shell is a beautiful area and the views were breathtaking. The cowboys did such an amazing job of running the horses for us and they were so passionate about what they were doing. The ranch is run like a well oiled machine. Everyone went way over and above their job description and this vacation surpassed my wildest expectations!!

Room Tip: The heater in my room was loud when it would turn on and off. I told them about that and so it shoul...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank cindyj54321
Yarmouth Port
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

I just spent a very special week at the Hideout Ranch in Shell, Wyoming. I have to say that it was one of the very best vacations I have ever taken...the scenery is breathtaking, the accommodations were wonderful and the staff is extraordinary. I visited this wonderful place in the winter and although it's cold, we were blessed with beautiful weather with bright blue skies and snow on the ground. I can't wait to go back and bring my family! I loved the western decor and warm hospitality...the staff went out of their way to make us feel at home...it was such a special experience...if you want to experience the true feel of the west, I urge you to check this place out. All of the staff without exception will make you feel special - I felt as though I made new friends.

Room Tip: I stayed in one of the cabins - I loved the western decor - it was so warm and inviting and well -ap...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank MickNorthboro
Boulder, Colorado, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

Imagine going to a destination where everything is arranged for your maximum comfort, in a setting straight out of a Western movie. Now stop imagining and make your reservations for a dream vacation at The Hideout Lodge & Guest Ranch. I was there this February for a photography workshop, hoping to capture images of the horses, cowboys and spectacular scenery surrounding The Hideout. Happily, I got that and so much more!

The entire staff, without exception, was friendly, knowledgable, and professional. Their warmth and desire to please me, made me feel like I was a special friend of theirs. New to ranch life, I had a million questions about the land, the horses, and the work of the wranglers. The staff cheerfully answered all of my questions, delighting me with their stories and cowboy humor.

My room was a clean and spacious log cabin, tastefully decorated in an upscale Western style, with rocking chairs on the front porch, a loft, a large seating area for entertaining, a bureau, desk, microwave, refrigerator, King size bed, closet and a well designed bath. The window next to my sink looked out on one of the far pastures, so I could watch the horses romp in the early morning. At night, I could see the stars of Wyoming through the perfectly positioned windows high above my bed.

Walking to the main lodge in the frosty, winter mornings, I heard the distant sounds of the wranglers working the horses, while I enjoyed watching the pink sunrise tint snow-covered mountains. The fire in the fireplace took the chill off the morning and made breakfast very cozy. All the meals were absolutely delicious. The kitchen is quite flexible and will tailor their preparations to any dietary needs. The main lodge, with its huge fireplace, rustic tables, overstuffed chairs and coffee table books about the West, reminded me of the classic lodge at Yellowstone National Park. A great gift shop next to the dining room offered a large variety of quality Western wear at very reasonable prices. It didn't take me long to look like a cowgirl!

It also didn't take me long to realize that I very much wanted to come back again in the spring, this time with my husband. I've already made my reservations for June! With all the activities they offer, such as riding, fly fishing, canoeing, hiking and many other fun things to do, I know we'll be having a vacation we'll never forget. I can't wait to return for more magical days and starry nights.

Room Tip: Everyone in our group of 13 enjoyed their accommodations.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank SusieL38
Dallas, Texas, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

I attended a winter photography workshop and the location was the Hideout Ranch. The accommodations were wonderful with breathtaking views of the Bighorn Mountains. The food served at the lodge is unsurpassed with a varied menu prepared by their on staff chef. I would go back if for nothing else, the food!

The management and staff take a great deal of pride in their ranch and they go out of their way to please.

Highly recommend!

• Stayed February 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shell
Greybull Motel
#1 of 2 in Greybull
Sage Motel
Sage Motel
#4 of 5 in Greybull

Been to The Hideout Lodge & Guest Ranch? Share your experiences!