“Depressing” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in Rock Springs
Kansas
“Depressing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2011

Ok, so I made a couple of mistakes here. First I chose this hotel because of its inexpensive rate and second, I accidentally booked a smoking room. We had been on the road for 11 days so yes, I was tired. However, first impressions are important and this place doesn't make a good first impression. I would imagine that this was once a Holidome as it had that late '70s decor and layout. The lobby was a bit shabby and smelled of cholrine from the nearby pool. The desk clerk was helpful and check-in went well. However, as went deeper into the hotel, the darker it became. I wasn't hopeful.

When we opened the door to our second floor room it was as if a cloud of cigarette smoke engulfed us. The room was shabby, old and stunk. It appeared to be clean but years of cigarette smoking was embedded in every aspect of the room. My husband opened the window and turned the air up full blast and we left for dinner. I was so unhappy with the room that it was hard to enjoy dinner. When we came back, the smell was worse despite the fresh air and circulation. I knew I wouldn't sleep so I went to the front desk and asked for a new room. The desk clerk was very accomodating and we were given a new room on the same floor but around the corner. It is like there are two hotels here. The new room was modern, freshly painted and had newer furniture although it was oddly placed in the room. I was able to relax a little.

Overall, I would not recommend this hotel and I couldn't wait to leave.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2011

I'm not sure which hotel some of these reviews were referring to..."exceptional find" - hardly.
Seems like a lot of people live here, has a real depressing and sketchy vibe. Lobby and hallways look like a crime scene. $72 a night seemed too high.
Room was ok and seemed pretty clean, but I'd avoid this old dump.

• Stayed July 2011
Scottsdale
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2011

I was pleasently surprised, especially after seeing all the signs about removing muddy boots before entering. I guess this is a Railroader/Trucker hotel, but it doesn't seem like one. Several families with kids playing in the large indoor pool. And a VERY nice breakfast, especially for a "Value" hotel. The food was kept hot. Nice variety of eggs, bacon, biscuits/gravy, cereals, juices, etc. Next time I'm in the area I will stay there for sure!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Methuen, MA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2010

Not too many towns to choose from in this area on route 80. Rock Springs seems to be the biggest, with lots of ammentities for a the traveler. The rooms in this hotel are large, with a microwave and a frig. I have stayed twice now here, and there have been no issues, other then weather heading West to the UT border!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2010

We should have known by the pizza party masacre that greeted us in the lobby that this was not going the cleanest place ever. Check in was easy, despite the garbage in the hall and stale smell. We asked for a non-smoking and the room we were assigned was very much a smoking room, if the stench wasn't enough there were several ashtrays in the room. We were going to just deal until we pulled back the sheets to find what looked like blood on the boxspring.
The woman at the front desk quickly changed our room and was very apologetic. The next room was much cleaner, new mattrresses and non-smoking.

When we checked out in the morning around 8:30am the pizza was still in the lobby. Who knows, might still be there now?

• Stayed October 2010
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Littleton, CO
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2010

Yes, it's cheap...I saved us some money, but now I'm wishing I had paid a bit more and stayed somewhere else. We just checked in, and already are ready to leave. The walls are thin! We can hear every time the person next door turns on water. The AC/Heater turns on as needed, but the noise from that will make sleeping difficult. The checkin desk clerk was nice...and the room is ok, however the easy chair is pretty grimey. We are on the ground floor...almost below ground level. The wifi is sloooow!
If we pass this way again we'll be looking for a step or two up from ABVI.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
NEW YORK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2010

This was the second ever Americas Best Value Inn I have stayed at. the first one was in Lompoc, California and is another (bad) story. Surprisingly, this ABVI in Rock Springs was not bad at all. This three story property has a nice pool, clean basic comfortable rooms, and a good breakfast spread. Easy on-off to highway and many places to eat or shop nearby. There is a GREAT Mexican restaurant right adjoining the hotel (you can walk through lobby foyer into restaurant) that serves fantastic and very inexpensive Mexican food. Their menu shows pictures and explains ingedients which makes deciphering menu offerings easy. They are not cheap with the comp salsa and chips, and even give you a plate of refried beans alongside the salsa dip - a first that I have ever seen - even when eating in Mexico!

For great value, comfort and an hassle free meal while traveling, you wont go wrong at this hotel.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple