“Good night's stay”

Ranked #14 of 16 Hotels in Rock Springs
Lander, Wyoming
“Good night's stay”
Reviewed April 23, 2012

It has been a long time since I've stayed at a Motel 6, my motel of choice for decades, because I could usually count on them for a safe, cheap stay. As I became a senior, I started looking for more comfort and whatever good deals I could find with chain motel memberships and promotions. I DO really appreciate the inside corridor newer Motel 6's, but they are few and far between. The Motel6 website said this one was 'refreshed'... not realizing that only applied to the floors and the bedspreads. I'd been to the Jackson WY Motel 6 which really was 'refurbished' (big difference) with that 'bold new look' (like the Jetsons actually)... but I realize that's not common and surely didn't apply to this motel in Rock Springs.

Considering, tho, that this was Wyoming (where I live), and Wyoming's motels are ALL grossly overpriced, I had no other choice of where to stay for the night. This SHOULD have been a $36.99 motel but instead was a $43.99 motel. As a senior, I got a 10% discount... still more than the $36.99 it would have cost in most other states. Everything else was even far more ridiculously expensive.

ANYWAY, it did turn out that I had a good night's stay! The room was clean and the bed was comfortable enough, the small tv was okay, and with the help of the fan you could keep blowing in the room (either hot or cold or just fan)... it kind of was 'white noise' to keep out traffic sounds or the sounds of the people above, below or to the sides and of course those heavy doors slamming. Of course my Com-fit soft rubber earplugs helped even more... something I'd suggest for all travelers! The morning coffee was good, and it did help to have the car right there at the door to load up.

So I would say this was a nice surprise and a pleasant enough experience... the best value for the money in Rock Springs if you just want a good night's sleep... and not have to wake up early for a questionable breakfast. Just to go McDonalds and get a breakfast burrito, or splurge at a real restaurant.

Oh, I almost forgot... it is located north of the highway by the Mall off Dewar exit. There's a Smith's food store across the road, a Loaf n Jug gas station (with maybe the lowest price in town) beside the entry/exit street of the Motel 6 parking lot. I saw Applebys, and Penneys... and probably much more right within that mile of the Motel 6; and go south of I-80 just a couple of blocks and there's much more shopping. I think that makes it a very good location.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank maxinerose

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed April 10, 2012

This is a little late, but thought I'd put it out there with summer travel season coming up. Last July (2011) my husband and I were on our way to the Jackson WY area and decided to make it from Denver to Rock Springs after we got off work. No reservations, but drove into Rock Springs about 11 p.m. looking for a cheap place to stay...I was skeptical when we drove up behind the truck stops and next to some other hotels which were much nicer. Got a room for about $60 I think...all we needed it for was sleep and a quick shower in the a.m. I was feeling like it would be a dump due to location, etc. but was pleasantly surprised. The room was tiny but just what we needed, funny with the "hardwood" floors but a pleasant night of sleep was had by both of us. The lady at the front desk even though it was late, was very accommodating. If you need a place to crash on your way to Yellowstone and don't want to spend a lot of money just for a quick night of sleep on your way through...this is the way to go!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Ogden, Utah
Reviewed March 9, 2012

Having to stop because of impending weather, two and a half hours from home we were only looking for a place to stay over night . We paid an extra $3 for a downstairs room. They charged more because it was equipped with a refridgerator and Micowave. We did like the fact that the floor was not carpeted . Looked cleaner than some of the carpets we have seen in motels. Staff was friendly and helpful. Price was resonable for what we recieved. Can't complain about the motel itself, but would look for a more expensive place next time.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ZAZULibertyUtah
Wyoming
Reviewed December 7, 2011

This place is cheap for Rock Springs, but you absolutely get what you pay for. One of the two beds in the room had what appeared to be clean linens; the other bed definitely had not been changed since the previous guest. The price was cheap. Had I been the one choosing the location & paying the bill I would have paid double the price and stayed elsewhere, but that's just me. This was for work and I was not the decision-maker on the unexpected overnight stay. I did let Motel 6 know about the problem and they did apologize. I slept in what I convinced my self was the clean bed (located under a window), left my socks on while in the room and left before daylight.

Room Tip: If you have time, look at the room before paying and definitely pull down the sheets to see if they...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Rock Springs hotels

California
Reviewed October 23, 2011

Motels seem to be pretty expensive in this town, as well as others in Wyoming along I-80. I selected the Motel 6 for the lower price and their pet policy. I have stayed in a number of other Motel 6's, so know what to expect. The room in the Rock Springs motel had been refurbished, and had a clean, bright bedspread, a table and chair, and wood floors. The bathroom was clean and had also been re-done. It felt much nicer than a typical Motel 6, and I would definitely stay here again if traveling through the area.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Sara9889
Reviewed September 29, 2011

This place is in a good location, has nice newly refurbished rooms and is very clean. The staff are so helpful and nice. It really is a bargain to stay here!

• Stayed September 2011
Colorado
Reviewed August 26, 2011

After 10 days on a motorcycle we really needed a good night sleep. Unfortunately, all the higher quality places were booked and Motel 6 was all that was left. We have stayed in Motel 6's many times and they are usually okay. But stay away from this place, especially if you want a non-smoking room. First, front desk lady was very very nice. We went to room and cranked up the air as it was very hot. worked perfectly, til time to go to bed. Then it quit working and started to fill the room with the cigarette smoke from every room in the hotel it seemed! My husband and I are very sensitive to the odor and couldn't sleep due to the heat and the smell. We called the front desk about midnight to complain and she said they'd look into the a/c problem. Never did get it fixed. Others complained as we are told. We had the front desk clerk, same nice lady, to come to the room to smell. Our clothes even stunk of the smoke. She was a smoker and said she couldn't smell a thing. She did refund us our entire stay. Also, there was one room that must be the managers or owner as it was made in to a little apt on the corner, which was right behind office and near our room. They must be smokers as you could smell it strongly as you walked by when they had window open. A real turnoff. Had to wash all our clothes when we got to the next hotel!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family