“open-late pool”

Rock Springs Holiday Inn
Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Rock Springs
“open-late pool”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2006

We came through Rock Springs, WY on our way to CA to visit relatives. My wife and I were travelling with our two children, ages one and three. The pool was one of the highlights of our stay as the water was clean and warm and this gave my wife an opportunity to relax while I played with the children. It really helped us unwind after a long day on the road. Note: we were pleasantly surprised the pool was still open since we did arrive late. The very pleasant and helpful clerk, Judy, at the front desk also made sure that we received our crib in a timely manner. The hotel is beautiful and the children loved the lobby fountain. We will definitely stay here again when we return from CA.

• Stayed March 2006
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Korean first
Tualatin, Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2006

I had some experiences with this Holiday Inn similar to others who have posted. As someone noted, this place is popular with the oil/gas industry, so you'll see lots of construction trucks on site.

Regarding reservations, we made a reservation in advance by calling the corporate reservation office. We noted we wanted a non-smoking room, and that we had a pet with us. When we arrived, we were told that the room the reservations people booked for us could not host a pet (even though our dachshund gets a bath every week or so, and is cleaner than the oil or construction guys!). They put us in a smoking room, but it wasn't too smelly.

(NOTE: Some hotels do a better job of "fumigating" smoking rooms than others. I once took a room for a night at a Best Western in eastern Colorado, and all they had was a smoking room. You would not have known that it was a smoking room. Other places...well, 'nuff said.)

The inn seems well kept, and it has a pretty good looking restaurant (rustic-looking steak house), but the restaurant is not operated by the inn, and this is where I had my biggest issue.

We ordered room service. It took about an hour to get our food, and it was cold when it arrived. When we called to complain, the hotel manager merely transferred my call to the the restaurant. Technically it may not be Holiday Inn's problem, but to me it's under their roof so it is their problem, and when a guest has a complaint, they should handle it for the guest. (In fairness, the restaurant agreed not to charge us for the meals.)

To top it off, when I woke up the next morning I wound up with a case of food poisoning and had to stay an extra night (it may have been the food I ate at the restaurant, or it could have been from something I ate earlier). I was well enough to do laundry later that night, and noticed one of the machines was out of order, and seemed to have been out for some time without being fixed.

The staff seemed courteous to us in general. Maybe it was because we had a cute dachshund with us (pets tend to bring out the best in people). But I don't doubt that there may be issues with staff in towns like this where there is a small pool of employees from which to draw.

The hotel itself is OK overall, and I'd stay there again. Anyone staying in Rock Springs should be prepared for lower standards than they are accustomed to in more populated areas. There is little competition in the area, both for hotels and employees, so if there is a surly employee, where are you going to find a replacement? (Hint to job seekers: if you are interested in the hospitality industry, go to Rock Springs. They could use the help!)

• Stayed August 2005, traveled on business
Bountiful, Utah
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2005

I will do anything to avoid having to stay in Rock Springs, Wyoming. But, my job requires it ocasionally. Yesterday, my reasons for wishing to avoid Rock Springs and the Holiday Inn there were reconfirmed 1,000%!
Rock Springs is an oil and coal town. It bustles with big , muddy, oil-rig guys in gigantic, muddy pick-up trucks. The Rock Springs Holiday Inn is their hotel of choice. This Holiday Inn is sold out nearly every night of the year. If a guest decides to stay over past his reserved night for a few days, your reservation is bumped and sumarily cancelled by the front desk. The Rock Springs Holiday Inn is famous in town by all other motels as being their full-time booking agent because the Holiday Inn "walks" upwards of 15 to 30 guests to other motels every single night! It's true!Reservations mean utterly nothing to this Holiday Inn. Amazing!!!

The hotel staff are an angry bunch. Try meeting the front desk manager, Stacey. You will appreciate people who are cordial and helpful. They co-mingle their surliness with curt obligatory greetings. Any questions to the front desk are clearly unwelcomed and discouraged.

How can this hotel get away with all this? Simple: It's Rock Springs Wyoming. Where else are you going to stay? And, they know it.

Bottom line: Never stay in Rock Springs Wyoming, and never stay at the Rock Springs Holiday Inn. Until new genuine competition slaps Holiday Inn up side the head with a reality check, your visit there will be a nightmare.

• Stayed July 2005, traveled on business
4 Thank UtahRelaxedtraveller
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2005

Find another place to stay!

After driving for six hours from Denver with two small children, I went to check into the hotel at 11:30pm. I had made reservations with the hotel itself and confirmed them before I left. When I went to check in, a very rude "night auditor" told me that they were full and that they essentially gave my reserveration away. I am a holiday inn priority member and that didn't make a bit of difference. She offered us complimentary accomodations at the Comfort Inn across the street. After finding no other accomodations available, we stayed there and my children awoke with bed bug bites.

The desk clerk at the Comfort Inn told me that the Holiday Inn did this routinely and even had a "standing account" with them.

• Stayed June 2005
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2005

This is a more expensive hotel for the area. The best thing about this hotel is the pool and the room quality. The pool had the warmest water with a waterfall in the middle. It also has a hot tub and small baby pool. The rooms were very clean and well decorated. The beds are wonderful, comfy and clean. The towels are thick and nice. Overall, the hotel is very clean. It also has a game room for kids and Winger's restaurant attached. The negatives were no breakfast (not even a discount at the restaurant), bad coffee selection, and the employees were not the friendliest. The cleanliness and pool make up for the extra cost.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member