“Traditional Mexican New Mexico Style”
Review of Rose's Lariat

Rose's Lariat
Ranked #4 of 40 Restaurants in Rawlins
Reviewed April 26, 2012

We tried this place based on the ratings that were given. Most were in the 4-5 range. Who ever rated this place did not have a Mexican background or experience in Mexican Cuisine. While the food was good it is a heart attack waiting to happen. It was old style but more with a New Mexico flavor. We got ordered the Enciladas both in Green Chile and Red Chile. The Red Chile First; The Red Chile Sauce was more of a Mole' type and would have been better served on Chicken or Beef. While I am not a Mole' person is was good with a hint of chocolate and I believe peanut butter which is usuall from the old recipies. The corn tortillas used were fried almost to the point that theyh were crispy and this was both the Red and Green Chile Enchiladas. They were also a bit on the greasy side. I tasted the ones my wife had and preferred the Green to the Red. The refried beans were homemade and were thick obviously made with lard, but they were tasty. The plates were served hot and so much to the point that you could barely touch them. The Chile was pour over the entire plate then placed in either an oven or microwave. A salad was then placed on top of the sauce with eventually drowned the salad. The place is very small with only one table for sitting and the rest is countertop sitting. It was in the low 60's out side but very warm inside almost to the point that it was uncomfortable. The atmosphere is nothing to speak of but I'm guessing that the locals don't go there for candle light dinning. The prices are reasonable for what you get and the other food that I saw looked good. If I were not traveling I might think about stopping by again. OH!! The service was excellent.

Reviewed March 2, 2012

There is nowhere to sit at Rose's (well, maybe enough room for 3-4 tables), but the food is delicious. Thanks Rose! You made my stay in Rawlins (unscheduled as it was) memorable.

Reviewed October 31, 2011

This is a great Mexican diner here in Rawlins. This is not fancy eating, just hits the spot for a good Mexican food. Green chile is excellent. Staff very friendly. Always a great place for lunch or dinner as long as you can find a seat.

Reviewed October 5, 2011

This is a cash only mexican place, with extremely limited seating. The food was excellent and fresh.

Reviewed September 21, 2011

I worked for Union Pacific Railroad for 32 years and for a majority of those years my "away from home" terminal was Rawlins. I have eaten at the Lariat hundreds of times during that span and have enjoyed the consistently great offerings. I have been retired for ten years but, once or twice a year, on our way to Jackson Hole, we stop and eat there as part of our routine. You could not ask for a more humble location and setting....a refurbushed rail car with 13 stools and 1 booth. Once you get over your initial apprehension notice how clean and well kept every area of this place is. Always, each time, for over 30 years. The food is not inexpensive, especially for Mexican, but it is worth missing the days prior meal to be famished enough to fully enjoy. My standard order is 2 beef enchalidas, smothered in green, with 1 egg on top and a flour taco w/cheese. Bobby, the owner and head cook, will not part with any secrets of the green chili recipe regardless, a recipe handed down to him from his mother, Rose, many moons ago. I have attempted, again, for over 30 years. I could, and might, eat there every day if I was unfortunate enough to reside in Rawlins. Sorry about the village dig but .... Located on the south side of the main drag it is easily accessible from either the east or west exit into town and it is, again, as easy to get back on the interstate to resume . This is Wyo-Mex at its very best and I give it my highest recommendation. The one drawback is the limited hours of operation, 11:00 a.m. until 7:00 p.m. Tues. - Sat.