“Older hotel but clean & Friendly”

1st Choice Inn - Rawlins
Ranked #8 of 18 Hotels in Rawlins
“Older hotel but clean & Friendly”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2012

Rawlins Wyoming is an expensive town but this hotel is fairly reasonable in price & most important CLEAN. Our room had a flatscreen, fridge,& microwave, & 4 pillows on each of our beds! Desk clerk was super busy but friendly & helpful when requesting extra towels. I will recommend to others.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Gisellete

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Denver
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2012

First, understand that this is an interstate roadside motel, not a resort. As such it serves its purpose with a lot more pluses than others do. The staff is very friendly and helpful, the rooms are very clean, the bed was comfortable with surprisingly soft sheets and the bathroom towels were also soft, not at all the scratchy raggedy things you get in most roadside motels. The rooms are large also and we had a flat screen tv in ours. If we ever come through here again on our way to Yellowstone or the Tetons, we will definetly stay here again. Great value.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank avengelina
Grand Junction, Colorado, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2012

Although there were a few bad reviews and it sounded rather unpleasant I was headed to Sturgis and trying to save money and also it was last minute and rooms in town were limited. One complaint was about cinder-block walls...I didn't hear a peep from other rooms. HUGE + in my book. Breakfast was served on the front office counter? Breakfast was free! And delicious. The location was great for dinner. I spent enough time on the bike that day so I ordered a pizza from Pizza Hut over the phone and just walked across the street to pick it up and take it back to the room. The room was clean, smoke free as posted, linens were clean, bathroom was clean, bed was very comfortable, flat screen tv was great, I honestly can't think of one complaint. And the girls (sorry I forgot their names) were so helpful, even moved my return stay up a day on my way home. The girl who is the new manager is doing a hell of a job, and for a room at that rate it couldn't be beat!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Chad H
Las Vegas, Nevada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2012

I booked a stay at the 1st Choice Inn, but was unable to stay there due to an unbelievable smell in the room. I think it was mold, because the carpet in most of the room was wet. Even if it didn't reek, there would be no reason to stay here...it's a dump!

As it turned out, they had no other rooms and the other hotels in town were booked so we had to drive two hours in the middle of the night to Rock Springs to find a place to stay.

The only positive thing I can say is that the staff was very friendly (and are thus far indicating that I should be able to get a refund...)

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Brian H

Travelers are raving about these Rawlins hotels

Wolfe City, Texas, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2012

We reserved a room because we feared we would not have any options if we simply traveled to Rawlins on the 4th of July. We depended the review "Two Choices". The day we were to arrive we read "Avoid at Most Costs" so we were very apprehensive. To our relief the room was clean and the sheets and towels were clean. It had a large flat screen TV and it was comfortable and very quiet because the walls are made out of cinder block. The breakfast was a surprise as well. Fresh fruit,waffles, cereal and toast. The coffee was good. There are no tables and chairs but they do provide trays for you to take your meal to your room. It looks like an old metal building when you pull up. Lacks curb appeal but the clerk was friendly and it's apparent they make an effort to provide a "reasonable" rate and a comfortable stay which is more than I can say for some other places we encountered.

Room Tip: No pool no restaurant
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Charben57
Portland, OR, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2012

The positives:

TV was a new HD flat screen which was surprising given the condition of most everything else. Room had a fridge and microwave. Clerk who checked me in was very friendly and accommodated my request for a new room (see below) without any trouble or condescension.

Why I will never return and you should probably stay away:

This place is run down, really really run down. There was paint peeling off the walls in my room, the shower had some kind of yellow stain all around the top of it (looked like maybe some sort of glue), carpets and furniture were very dingy, the lamp by the bed in my room didn't work.

The first room I was given smelled terrible (food smell). I didn't even put my luggage down but headed straight back to the desk to request a new room. (New room smelled ok)

Here's what turned my mind from "this place is just barely passable" to "I would never, ever, return". One of the hand towels in my room had stains all over it that looked like probably blood (see picture below). When I went to check out in the morning I took the towel with me and showed the clerk (a different one than had checked me in the night before). Her response was "yeah, the machine doesn't always get that stuff out, but it's been laundered so it's clean". This was about the cheapest grade of hotel towel to begin with...her insistence that it was perfectly acceptable for a hotel guest and not worth putting out the $2 or so to replace it just speaks volumes about this hotel.

Other issues:

The hallways smell like smoke, even outside the no smoking rooms (inside my no smoking room was ok).

The breakfast was set up on the check-in counter and served out of tupperware containers. There's only a couple of the regular lobby chairs to sit in.

There was a large heavy mirror in my room that was sitting on an end table, about a foot and a half off the ground, just leaning against the wall, not attached to anything (see picture). Could very easily be pulled down by a child.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Jason B
, Owner at 1st Choice Inn - Rawlins, responded to this review, July 5, 2012
First, please let me apologize for the number of issues you had. We really do take pride in our rooms, and while we are an older property we do try to maintain them in a clean condition as well as maintaining many of the amenities most customers expect. The hand towel that you had in your room should not have been there, it shouldn't have even been a rag, not to mention when you presented it to the front desk clerk they should have had a totally different attitude. There also is no reason to not have the mirror properly secured. How nobody noticed this is beyond me.

In regards to the continental breakfast, as you could tell we are very limited on space in our lobby and try to make the most of the space we have. Just last week we purchased a new waffle makers as well as cereal dispensers. I agree the tupperware has its place, but is not ideal for serving a continental breakfast. I will be making changes to this as well.

I have been in communication with my manager and staff as to how we can address these issues so that they will never happen again. Even though your review was quite embarrassing to me, I do appreciate you letting us know how your stay was and I will strive to make sure that this does not occur in the future.

Again, I am sincerely sorry you had a poor experience.

K. Howell - Owner
Ashland, Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2012

Seames like you have two choises in this place, budget or others. I'm a budget traveler. Sleep, shower, split. Rawlins would not be my choise to stay at any time, but it's been a lot of miles since Mortrose and the winds blowin. Big surprise haha. I think most gas/oil workers have a nice perdeeum (sp) so 100 smackers is no big deal. Recked cars in parking lot, tail=gate party next to my bike @ bed time, desent room. Big question....will my bike be there in the a.m. It was and Rawlins is in my mirror. On to Yellowstone. Watchout for Antelope on 287!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo