“Makes your skin itch”

Ranked #14 of 18 Hotels in Rawlins
Deadwood SD
“Makes your skin itch”
Reviewed November 27, 2008

This place needs to be upgraded and cleaned.
Torn wall paper, dust smell, terrible bed.

• Stayed November 2008
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Santa Fe, NM
Reviewed September 30, 2008

The Super 8 is located close to the interstate which makes it easy to get off/on the road. The rooms were below the quality of a Best Western, but better than a Motel 6. The staff/management could use some lessons on customer service. While I was checking in the front desk person was yaking on his cell phone and not paying too much attention to me. I did not feel welcome. One thing about this Super 8 and all Super 8's that I have stayed at is that the walls a paper thin and you can hear everything in the rooms around you. The people above me sounded like elephants everytime they walked on the floor.

• Liked — It had a room available.
  • Disliked — Front desk, noisy neighbors
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk

Travelers are raving about these Rawlins hotels

Michigan
Reviewed April 24, 2008

We just returned from a cross-country road trip during which we stayed exclusively at Super 8s. I would, perhaps, not be writing this review had we only stayed at the Rawlins Super 8, because I would assume all Super 8s were as awful as this one was, and thus not worth my breath. Some Super 8s are very nice and clean, however, and the one in Rawlins, WY is a nasty, uncomfortable, scary exception. Our very first impression of the motel was a bad one. The motel looked normal enough from I-80, but once we rounded the corner and took a look at its backside, we noticed it was under SEVERE construction. All of the windows and outside doors were covered with plastic, and scaffolding literally barred the entrance through which cars normally pull. We actually had to duck underneath the scaffolding in order to get into the front office--very dangerous, and very ridiculous. We didn't even know if the motel was open, and humorously dubbed it "Spook Town" from the get-go. Once at the front desk, we expected to be charged the $65.00 we were quoted on the phone (though we thought it too high for such inconvenient construction) and were dismayed to discover the non-English-speaking man behind the desk had attempted to charge us $70. In fact, when we questioned him, he said "Days Inn down the street charges $85." We pointed out the awful construction (at that point we didn't know about the OTHER complaints we'd have), and told him his reasoning was ridiculous. Eventually, he conceded to $65. We should have left right then. When we pulled around to the door near our room, we noticed only construction trucks were parked in the lot. It appeared as though we were the ONLY customers that night, which was VERY scary for two women. We approached the outside door that would take us to our room and discovered a plaster/paint covered door with a sign that said "Use other door." So we went to the other door. It, too, was plaster/paint covered, but lacked the dangerous hanging wires that the other one had, and, like the other door, had no locking mechanism. At this point, I was disgusted, scared and indignant. But, we had already paid our money, it was very late at night, and we decided to press on. Despite the open ceiling tiles in the hallways, the interior was void of construction. Our bathroom, however, was missing moulding, and our sink did not drain. Our beds sagged in the middle, and the sheets were PINK. What hotel uses PINK sheets? I kept waiting for the Travel network on TV to jump out and say "You've won $100,000.00 for staying in the worst motel in America! Congratulations!" I kept all of my clothes on, used my own pillow in bed, stacked every mobile, heavy thing in the room in front of the door, and tried to sleep--I didn't dare take a shower. In the morning, grateful to be alive (two women in a dirty, scary, vacant motel with a non-English-speaking man and a bunch of trucks outside makes for some fairly scary hypothetical situations), we marched down to the breakfast area. At this point, I had fairly well decided I wouldn't be eating there. We took a look at the food, which looked like it had been sitting there for days (it had that plastic-food-trying-to-look-like-real-food sort of dullness), compounded by the fact that there was dirt ALL over the floor, and decided to go to McDonalds. For a humorous ending to the whole ordeal, we marched up to the same non-English-speaking guy at the front desk (who we had hoped would be gone by morning, but wasn't) and told him it was the worst Super 8 we had ever stayed in. Through our list of complaints, he smiled, and incredibly, at the end of it all, said something like, "I wasn't working..." or "I don't work here..." Neither of these statements were true, as he had been working since we arrived the night before, and since he obviously DID work there. I'm still baffled by this one--any suggestions? He made no offer to reduce our rate, to comp our room, or to clean up the motel's act. As we left the motel in our car, we attempted to avoid the boards with nails in them strewn around the parking lot, and called corporate, who with a very polite "I'm sorry about your complaints" dismissed my concerns. The motel's owner never returned our phone calls. I will NEVER stay at this motel again, and I hope they get shut down by the health department. It isn't fit to house guests; and even after this massive construction project is finished, their terrible customer service, swindling billing practices, and disgustingly dirty facilities will still make this a horrid Super 8. Stay there if you want, but BELIEVE me, I would pay even $50 more in a heartbeat to get a good night's rest at one of the much nicer looking m/hotels at the next exit down. What a shame to the Super 8 name.

• Liked — Leaving.
  • Disliked — Everything.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
Klamath Falls, OR
Reviewed March 11, 2008

I stayed here on the night of Jan. 29th 2008, or I should say that I stopped here due to I-80 being closed due to a blizzard. The place was dirty, the clerk at the front desk didn't speak English, but it was the first place that I came across, Super 8's are usually clean and affordable, and I didn't feel like chasing after a room in a blizzard. I got to the room and it was dirty and musty smelling. I took a shower and was afraid to use the towels - it was that bad - so I just air dried. After a few hours, I couldn't imagine sleeping in that bed. My choices were stay in that room for the night or hit the Interstate in a blizzard - so at 11PM I left and took my chances with the blizzard. I survived the storm, I'm not sure I would have lived through the night had I stayed in that room. Travelers beware! Don't waste your money at this dump.
There seem to be numerous complaints about this property, I can't figure out why the Super 8 corporate offices don't do something about this franchise. If they care so little about their image, I don't think I will be staying at another Super 8 again.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — English not spoken by staff, dirty room and rundown property
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
Ft. Collins, CO
Reviewed January 10, 2008

I stayed at this hotel on business...during hunting season. It was the only hotel in town that I could afford, because of inflated local hotel rates intended to capitalize on the hunting crowd that descends on the town every Fall. This hotel was on the extreme West end of town off I-80, and not close to downtown at all, or any of the new fast food restaurants, which were all a couple miles away on the east end of town. The rooms were cold and the heaters wouldn't warm them properly. The mattresses were tired and dirty, the pillows smelled badly, and the blankets were threadbare. The rooms smelled of cleaning chemicals and must. The TV in my room was ancient, and its picture quality was abhorrent. The shower fluctuated dangerously between icy and scalding, unpredictably. I would never stay in Super 8 Rawlins again, and I'm seriously soured on the town itself as well.

• Liked — I guess the coffe in the morning was passable.
  • Disliked — the cold, the decrepit room, the high price, the archaic TV, the smell.
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
salt lake city, utah
Reviewed January 9, 2008

This hotel is awful I was in Rawlins for a interview but that is another story. The entire hotel reeks with crigratte smoke houskeeeping is awful breakfast buffet is a joke the staff is rude and super 8 corporate does not care

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — I hated everything
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled on business
Brigham City, Utah
Reviewed August 23, 2007

We usually find Super 8 Motels to be nice, clean and inexpensive when we are just going on a roadtrip. In fact, we had just left the nice Super 8 in Deadwood, South Dakota. (see my review for that one) The Rawlins Super 8 is an exception. Basically, it was a dive. It is hard to even know where to start. My first complaint would be that the entire building is marked No Smoking along with a no smoking sign on each motel door. However, it wasn't enforced at all. Not only was there smoking in the enclosed hallway, but also in the room across from ours, which came into our room by the large gap under our door. We were able to remedy that by going down to the desk and getting an extra towel. (since there were only 2 flimsy ones provided to us in the room.) We blocked the gap under the door with the towel and that took care of the smoke problem. It was quite hot, but when we turned on the window mount cooler, it rattled and hummed so loud, we thought it was breaking down. We left it on since we needed the cool air. Unfortunately, the racket from the cooler wasn't enough to drown out the hacking and coughing all night from the smoker next door. We could hear it as clear as if they were in the same room as us, because the walls seemed to be paper thin. The bed was as hard as a rock!

My advise to you would be to drive to the exact opposite side of town where you will find brand new hotels such as Comfort Inn, Holiday Express Inn, Quality Inn, etc. Right next to a new McDonalds and other nice eating establishments. Unfortunately, we didn't discover them until we had already checked into the Super 8.

I will say that the people running the desk were really nice and apologetic.

• Liked — The people at the desk were nice.
  • Disliked — Smoke, hard bed, paper thin walls
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple