“Small, clean, saved our butts...”

Ranchester Western Motel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ranchester
Layton, Utah
“Small, clean, saved our butts...”
Reviewed July 25, 2010

We drove over the Bighorn mountains late at night thinking we would find a place to camp. Unfortunately, the mountains were still deep in snow and all the campgrounds were closed. We got to the bottom of the hill close to I-90 and came through Ranchester completely exhausted (on our way toward Montana). We saw the motel and jumped at the chance to sleep in a bed. The woman who checked us in was very nice to me even though it was late at night. The room was very small and everything inside looked like a throwback to the 1960s, but it smelled very clean. I didn't notice any of the bad odors mentioned by other reviewers. I felt completely comfortable here and was happy to have a quiet place to sleep. No complaints about anything at all given the circumstances.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank RJSP

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Billings
Reviewed May 26, 2009

Tiny check- in office had a really bad odor which was nothing compared to guest room. I took two steps in and knew I could not sleep there. I can't tell you what it was that smelled so badly. I have never smelled anything so rank in my life and I am a nurse. Went right back to the office and told the women I no longer wanted to stay there. She refused to give me a refund saying I had made a reservation and that she would spray the room. No amount of spray would have covered up what was present. The more she refused to give me a refund the more I knew I made the right decision not to stay. Apparently she only knew how to run charges not give refunds. I am thankful to my credit card company who I called immediately. Even though this little motel in Ranchester is near by my family I will never go there again and will make the drive to Sheridan WY if needed.

• Stayed May 2009
2 Thank MTfamily

Travelers are raving about these Ranchester hotels

Colorado
Reviewed July 30, 2007

We stayed at this hotel as it was the only one within a few minutes from Sheridan Wyoming. All the hotels in Sheridan were booked.

The outside looks ok. It is a smaller, one story, older hotel.
My mom said the office smelled of urine.

Our room seemed clean but it smelled horrible (smoke) and was very hot. It took a long time for the air conditioner to cool it down.
They only had soap in the bathroom, no shampoo.
The beds were hard.

In the morning there was coffee in the office. My mom tried to get ice. She said the hotel attendent had to get an ice chipper and the ice looked a bit dirty.

• Stayed July 2007
    • Check in / front desk
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 18, 2005

We stopped here for a good night's rest while on our way to Yellowstone. If all you want is to get a few hours of sleep, this is probably as economical as you will get out there.

However, this is strictly bare-bones accomodation. Our room was extreemly cramped. The fixtures and layout of the room made me wonder if this was originally conceived to be a motel (which it must have been judging by the outside). There were two spotlights in the back corner of the room that served as the room light, the TV was on a wall mount so close to the bed that it seemed to float over it, and everything seemed older and cheap.

From the outside, this place does look nice... just don't expect that level of asthetics to continue on the inside.

• Stayed July 2005
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ranchester
Comfort Inn & Suites
Mill Inn
Mill Inn
#4 of 19 in Sheridan
No photo provided

Been to Ranchester Western Motel? Share your experiences!