“Charming & Quaint”

GreenLeadersGold level
Omaha, Nebraska
“Charming & Quaint”
Reviewed September 21, 2012

The cabins were all booked and our room was the efficiency guest room on the back of the owner's quarters. Wow was this room tiny!! It was very clean and very quaint but tiny. There were no luggage racks for our bags to sit on and when packing for a week space would have been nice. We were cold and found an electric heater in the closet space which worked to heat well. It was nice to see a nice small refrigerator/freezer in the room as well. We did find the bed softer than we are used to and we did roll together in the middle. It was a cool night to cuddle I guess!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank alwaysgone_10

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Colorado City, Colorado
Reviewed September 16, 2012

First, we like cabins and we know pretty much what to expect. The website on "The Log Cabin Motel" says these are historic cabins (true enough) that have been "updated" (an extreme exaggeration).

The bathroom (I use the word "room" loosely), like the cabins, was installed in 1929, and it appeared that almost nothing had been done to it. It consisted of a lone washstand, a pot and a shower made of some kind of paneling. The water temp turned out to be a crapshoot for both of our "as quick as possible" showers. Not even a small shelf had been installed so you could put anything down (eg., my saving kit).

The cabin was very small inside, so both double beds were pushed up against walls, which made it difficult to get off the covers, etc., The 50's era kitchen was marginally acceptable, but you couldn't use the word "updated" in your wildest imagination.

What concerned me most was the maze of wires that were plugged into hanging power strips, which seemed way overloaded. I think this is a potential disaster waiting to happen.

Sorry to burst the illusion cleverly created by the very well-done website. I honestly can't understand the positive tripadvisor reviews and I'm wondering if "The Logcabin Motel" is somehow gaming the system. Maybe our cabin was atypical.

BTW, there are many other places to stay in this town, some that aren't even listed on this website. So, I suggest you by-pass the "#2 Rated" Log Cabin Motel and stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: Find somewhere else to stay, even if you like "rustic" cabins.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Err0l
being2012, Owner at The Log Cabin Motel, responded to this review, September 22, 2012
As owners of the Log Cabin Motel since 2006, we spend the better part of everyday at our Historic property. Every year we continue to upgrade and enhance our cabins and the service we provide our guests. We have also been in the lodging and hospitality business for over 20 years and know that despite our best efforts, we can't please everyone. We know our rating is justiified, as we strive to meet everyone of our guests and strive to make their stay with us and their experience of Sublette Couty comfortable, unique and memorable.
We really put our heart into this business and feel it is a part of ourselves. As our main season comes to an end and Fall is in the air, we notice that we are worn out a bit from the hard work it takes to provide exceptional service day in and day out, so a review like this is especially painful. All we can say to any potential guest who has read this review, is to take the time to decide if you really want a unique and cozy stay at a Historic property with personal service or something else.
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed September 15, 2012

I had the unfortunate experience of arriving home to realize i didn't have my bag of gifts I had been purchasing during my travels. After careful "re-tracing" of my steps, it occured to me that I might have left my bag of treaures in a dresser drawer in our cabin. I emailed the owners explaining my dilema. They responded immediately that my bag was indeed in the drawer as I had suspected. At their own time and expense, they mailed the bag to me the next day. So, not only are the cabins clean, cute and comfy, the service and caring nature of the owners is exceptional!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank scbfree
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed September 11, 2012

Not your typical, "log cabin" experience. Each cabin is appointed with cool, loving, comfortable touches. The ownership is super-friendly and helpful with advice on places to eat and what to avoid in town. Even had satellite TV in the room for us to ease back into civilization with a few football games. Great shower, comfortable beds and every detail taken care of throughout the cabin. I would come back in a second and only wish every "log cabin" experience was as top-notch as this wonderful Pinedale accomodation was. 5 BIG stars. Loved it. Not only will we be returning to hike the majestic Wind River Range in the future, but we will make sure our stay is at the Log Cabin Motel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank tdubya_12
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 2, 2012 via mobile

Simply lovely. From the moment you see the cabins with the pretty flower beds all around them, you know this is a place that the owners are passionate about, and this carries on throughout your stay. We stayed in a cabin one night and an economy room one night and both were lovely: clean, well appointed and with lots of very homey and welcoming touches (even home made cookies one day!) as well as the essentials of comfy beds, spotless bathroom and fridge, microwave, coffee etc and all for a very reasonable price. If you're heading to Pinedale, we would thoroughly recommend the Log Cabin Motel.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Paula M
being2012, Owner at The Log Cabin Motel, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
We wish you all the best in your move/return to New Zealand. It is always inspiring to hear when people answer the call to jump, even when the result is unknown. Although with you two, I am sure it will work out great.
Las Cruces, New Mexico
Reviewed September 2, 2012

I was in cabin #9 which was just right for one or two people. The cabin was modern inside with all new fixtures and very nicely appointed. The little dining table was even set with two place settings. It was a beautiful day when I arrived so I sat on the front porch to read before going to dinner. One very nice feature is that it is located a block from the highway so you don't hear the trucks go by. This is much better than any chain.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank fiddlebike
We are grateful when our guests arrive early enough to enjoy the porches as they are a nice place to enjoy and reflect on what they have done or are planning on doing.
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed September 2, 2012

My husband and I stayed here on the last night of our Yellowstone vacation, en route to Salt Lake City to catch a flight. I wish we had planned to stay three nights instead of one! There's lots to see in this gorgeous part of Wyoming (the owner has info on many day trips in the area), but even the drive through Pinedale was worth it.

The cabins are truly special. Built in the 1920s from huge logs, each one is unique. They retain an authentic rustic feel but have all the comforts: WiFi, TV, an impeccably clean kitchen area, eco-friendly toiletries, gorgeous comforter, comfy bed, first-rate linens, lovingly tended flowers on the front porch. Little cozy touches and original West-inspired art make you feel as if you're staying in someone's home. It's the exact opposite of staying in a chain hotel. Nothing against chain hotels if that's all you can find, but if you're looking for a place that has a uniquely Western feel, this is it. It's not overdone or fakely "quaint" the way that some B&Bs can be. It's clear that the owners take incredible pride in the property, as it's so well cared for. And the real icing on the cake is that it's no more expensive than most of the chain hotels where we've stayed.

We particularly like that the owner hires cultural exchange students from Europe to help out during the summers. Ismir and Duygu, this year's team, were incredibly thoughtful and helpful without being intrusive.

My husband and I are already daydreaming about our next visit to this place, maybe timed so we can witness the antelope migration right outside town. Two huge antelope bridges have just been completed on the road just north of Pinedale. That would be worth a visit!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
We are glad to hear you enjoyed all the little touches we have put into making our Motel unique and cozy. We are also glad to hear that you had a nice experience with our staff. We always hope that people take a few days to enjoy some of what this area has to offer whether it is the hiking, the lakes, or the history.