“Best in Town”
Review of Pines Motel

Pines Motel
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Newcastle
Reviewed December 16, 2012

I travel frequently for business and generally stay in the larger chain hotels when available. Newcastle doesn't offer those choices, and I am grateful because that allowed me to find the Pines Motel. I can say without doubt that if every town I visit for business had a "Pines", it is the only place I would ever stay. The rooms are quaint, extremely comfortable, and very tastefully decorated: it is the closest thing to "home" I have ever stayed. Towels are like the ones you would have hanging in your own bathroom, a nice quilt and quality sheets line an extremely comfortable bed, the flat screen tv is excellent, and even the sitting chairs are comfortable to relax in. The owner, Iva, is a genuine and delightful lady who will go the extra mile to make your stay a pleasant one. I highly recommend the Pines for anyone passing through on business or pleasure--I won't stay anywhere else. (One word of advice: Iva has accumulated a long list of loyal clientele for the reasons stated above, and you would do well to call in advance when planning a trip through Newcastle.)

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed November 24, 2012 via mobile

We have stayed here several times when visiting my inlaws as its in the neighborhood. This time we were the only guests for a few nights around a holiday. We were told staff would be off for a few days, but our room was ready, clean and comfortable. The management even called us to see if we needed anything once they returned after Their day off. Nice touch. This is a very nice family run motel and we will return.

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed October 29, 2012

My husband, my mom and I stayed here for one night. We stayed in the large suite room on the end and loved it. The beds were wonderfully comfortable, and there was lots of room for us. The bathroom was large with lots of counter space. Everything was so clean and the wifi worked great. The room itself had two rooms - two double beds. One felt like a memory foam mattress and the other was firm. They were both wonderful for us. We arrived after a small snow storm and it was very cold. The owner had already gone into the room and turned on the heat for us! She was wonderful - very charming and welcoming. She gave us a great recommendation for dinner and you can tell she really takes pride in her motel.

I would urge anyone staying in Newcastle to stay here - it was a great find.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 27, 2012

Wonderful owner, wonderful setting, wonderful service. What more can I say?! My brother and I stayed there in separate rooms for a funeral service for our Aunt and I'm trying desperately to come up with an excuse to return!

One wing of the motel is 1959 vintage, the other wing from the 60's? Either way the rooms are small and could be considered cramped by modern standards. But somehow, in the smallest room available (1 queen) they managed to put in a nice, small, pine desk mounted to the wall with a power strip located on the floor just underneath the desk. Since it's mounted to the wall there are no legs to get in the way. Nice touch. Very clean with tons of actual colored towels like you would have at home. Good quality shampoo and soap provided. Again, no counter space in the bathroom but lots of cupboards to put the toiletries in.

Bear in mind this room was tight for just me, and would be unusable for more than 2 in my opinion. However they do offer larger rooms with more bed arrangements as well as a suite, which by peaking through the windows looked great.

I wished I had more time to visit with Iva, the owner, while I was there. A very hard working retired school teacher who's making this place her own. I thoroughly enjoyed her theory on pricing after mentioning that I felt the price I paid ($75.00) was fair. She said that she prices out her rooms on what she needs to make to keep the place up, pay her help, and take care of herself. It's worth it, stay here.

There is a seasonal outdoor hot tub in a nice location away from the rooms and the grounds are very well kept. There are numerous chairs and tables outside to sit and enjoy the quiet. No breakfast to really speak of, however check out Donna's Diner downtown which has wonderful food.

I have been coming to Newcastle since the 70's to see my relatives in the area and my experience with the Pines and Donna's diner changed my opinion of this town as a place to stay!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 14, 2012

So it's time to stop for the day and it's Newcastle Wy. Upton would have been good choice but pushed on anyway. Beautiful little town if you can overlook the refinery a few blocks from downtown. I can. A couple of passes through town and the hotel situation looks pretty dismal. There are a couple of attractive taverns so all hope is not lost. We, ok my wife, noticed this sign for a hotel that seemed to be a few blocks up in a residential area. Take the turn and lo and behold there are a couple of motels a few blocks up. We tryed the Pines because it was the big sign on the main road and boy were we glad. the staff lives on site and is so welcoming you feel like family. Be sure to park back enough from the gnomes so the girls can water the garden. The rooms are high end B&B quilts, closets and nice built in cabinents. This place is so cosy it could be aq destination by itself. Again maybe not for the mainstream vacationer but to the off itinerary traveler this is a rare find.

Room Tip: I only stayed in one. I think they may all be great.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dave K
Reviewed September 30, 2012

This motel is very clean and quiet. The rooms are not large but suitable and beds are very comfortable. Property and landscaping is well maintained with friendly staff. Would stay again in the future.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 23, 2012

We stayed here during Sturgis weekend although we are not bikers. The room was very clean, well-appointed and the location was off the main roads and very quiet. We will stay here again on our way from the Twin Cities to Jackson Hole.

Grampy 67

Room Tip: All the rooms are probably quite similar.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple