“Sweet and Simple”
Review of Hilltop Motel

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Newcastle
Hilltop Motel
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Newcastle
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Just keep your expectations in check here. Rooms are small and very basic (though having fridge, microwave and flat screen - with movies to rent in the office - is a big surprise). It hit the spot for us after a long drive with an extremely comfy queen and bunk bed combination for our family of four. The entire facility is dated for sure but as one reviewer put it - this is serious americana. The owners are very kind and pride themselves on a clean facility. But it is what it is - the train rumbles by every so often, the air conditioner rattles a bit (but keeps the outside noise out) and the walls are pretty thin. Our biggest issue was paying top dollar for the room b/c we timed it with the Sturgis motorcycle weekend. Otherwise, during their regular time, this would be a reasonable deal for the money.

Room Tip: Ask for the far corner room if it's available. Then you'll only have neighbors on one side.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank travelingvermonters
There are newer reviews for Hilltop Motel

Reviewed July 18, 2013

I picked this hotel based on all the comments that I had seen on Trip Advisor and was disappointed that the room I was given had really dirty carpet. I'm a single girl and stayed there with my 6 year old niece. It was very convenient to have the microwave, DVD player and refrigerator and I felt safe, but it wasn't nearly as clean as I'd hoped and the A/C was very noisy. I had to cool it down and then turn it off before we went to sleep.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 28, 2013

A nice and clean little motel. We were able to get a room with only weeks notice before relatively nearby Sturgis week. The owners were kind and helpful. The rooms were dated but very clean. But this is the Americana I miss from my childhood 40 years ago.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank William H
Reviewed February 19, 2013

this Is great little mom and pops place I stayed about three weeks while working on a pipeline nice friendly owners it's a older place but clean has comfortable beds has over sized mini and microwave price not bad for a week $245

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank deepeasttx
Reviewed February 16, 2013

The Front desk Clerk wa svery helpful recommened a place to eat it was great the room is great siz, very clean nice tv, love the hot water, a bath felt great, would stay here again. The TV is nice size and the room lighting is brite.

Room Tip: Id like to see the front desk guy strum on the guitar in the lobby!! Was nice to chat with him!!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Tori L
Reviewed October 31, 2012

I loved staying here. The owners are charming. The room was cabinish. Everything was clean. There are sinks in the kitchen area. The room was warm and the bed was comfortable. My dad and I stayed at motels in several states during our trip, and this was my favorite out of all of them. Thanks for the hospitality Faye and Jerry. (I don't know them personally, but I remember their names because of how warm and friendly they are.)

Room Tip: The sign said "Welcome Hunters". The rooms were very reasonably priced.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Robin P
Reviewed October 23, 2011

I am a single female; I had the room next to the owner's part. IT was scrupuloulay clean, I had everything I needed (IT is fitted to be like a small cabin!)
My tub was very clean, heater was excellent, and I have fond memories of an enjoyable time (I had my Great Dane with me.)

JF
New Orleans

Room Tip: Stay in the one by the owners!
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo